What's new

Twin Peaks Season 2? (1 Viewer)

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I bought my set from Newbury Comics for $64.95. Five of the discs were pristine, two had minor finger print marks that I easily removed. Discs 2, 10 and one other disc had one minor scratch each. Not perfect, but overall I am happy. I can't wait to check these out. Is there any reason to keep the previously released DVD sets other than the DTS sound for the first season? Hell, I still have the Laserdisc sets 2-4.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
DeanR said:
I bought my set from Newbury Comics for $64.95. Five of the discs were pristine, two had minor finger print marks that I easily removed. Discs 2, 10 and one other disc had one minor scratch each. Not perfect, but overall I am happy. I can't wait to check these out. Is there any reason to keep the previously released DVD sets other than the DTS sound for the first season? Hell, I still have the Laserdisc sets 2-4.
Well I guess that makes it not just an Amazon issue which is good/bad... (I can't decide.) I'm really curious what's going to turn up in my mail when it eventually arrives... (And I'll probably get stung customs charges as well, which is probably why it's taking so damn long.)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I've had scratches of varying degrees on every single multi disc TV-DVD set I've bought in the last few years, with the exception of one Gilmore Girls set that, ironically enough, wasn't for me. It's highly annoying and really makes you wonder what the hell they're doing with these discs when they pack them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Christian Preischl said:
...and really makes you wonder what the hell they're doing with these discs when they pack them.
I think most minor scratches are due to the trays that they put them in. The little 'lip' (where they pour the plastic into the mold) is right where the DVD is placed. So the lip rubs against the DVD when it's placed into the tray, when it's tossed around during shipping and more still when it gets put on a shelf. It's probably a miracle that they're not more screwed up.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
My discs were pretty much like Dean's example. There was a pretty good scratch on Disc 6 but it still plays so I don't think I'll send it back. And you know, I was thinking that we should copy those fingerprints and send them to the studio so they can see who's working without their gloves and fire 'em. Hah!

Yeah anyway, let's stop talking about the packaging problems and start reviewing this set. I haven't watched it yet (I'm starting the marathon tonight) but I've flipped through it. Here's what I found out.

The Positive Side: The transfers from what I've seen so far are flawless. The show looks like it's brand new! I've never seen it that good; on the original airings or various home video offerings. I do not have the more recent Season Two set to compare with so I'll leave that to other fans.

Also, I was worried for some reason that they'd leave out the alternate scenes made for the European movie. Instead, they included the entire European movie. Kewl!

There is an adequate amount of extras, however, a booklet would have been real nice because there's so much crammed into 10 discs.

The Negative Side: There's only four deleted scenes!!

The Log Lady intros look like crap; they must have only existed on second-generation video or something. However, it doesn't have to be that bad because the raggedy video gives the intros a sort of worn out, high school film reel look. Try to think of it as if you came across an old case file of videos about the strange doin's at Twin Peaks, so many years ago.

The worst negative is still, for me and for most TP fans, the ending. If they had only known the show was going to be cancelled, I'm sure they would have ended it differently. But as you get through Coop's (dull) tour through the red curtain factory, you realize they were absolutely setting up the whole storyline for season three. It would have been this whole big thing with BOB masquerading as Coop.
But then, Lynch gets the opportunity to throw big studio money on a feature film, and instead of choosing to move forward and finish his story, he does a prequel. That illogic always bothered me, and now it bothers me more because it's too late to go back and film more.

But TP still exists, for bad and good. I think if you are like me and haven't watched it in years, you owe it to yourself to get this set because you'll never have seen it looking better.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
From what I've heard, they expected Fire Walk With Me to be a financial success and they had loose plans to make a movie set after the series. Who knows if it's true but it would make sense.
Also, Kyle MacLachlan was afraid of being typecast so he didn't want to play a large role in the movie and that forced them to make a prequel. If that's true, it makes very little sense to me since he was still in the damn movie. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Christian Preischl said:
I've had scratches of varying degrees on every single multi disc TV-DVD set I've bought in the last few years, with the exception of one Gilmore Girls set that, ironically enough, wasn't for me. It's highly annoying and really makes you wonder what the hell they're doing with these discs when they pack them.
Are you sure these are not being opened/handled/played by customs people? I've never bought a brand new box set in my life that had any fingerprints on the discs inside the box.

Bonedwarf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
To reply to a bunch of stuff here:

Twin Peaks ending: I must be in a minority then, as is every other Twin Peaks fan I've known over the last 15 years, as we all thought the ending was fantastic. I'd personally rank it as possibly one of my top 3 TV moments of all time. Probably at number one if I'm quite honest.

FWWM: In the original shooting script there is a bunch of stuff that takes place AFTER the end of the TV show. If you've not read the shooting script, you really should. (Google it. Dead easy to find.) Also worth reading is the Twin Peaks timeline.

Customs: Speaking as someone who has, sadly, had a lot of experience with customs buggering around with my stuff, I can state categorically that while they've opened the shipping packaging before, I have never received ANY DVD's that had been unwrapped in any way by customs. (And I've imported a lot of disks. Not just from the US but also the UK.) So speaking from my own experience, the chances of it being customs grubby little prints on it are slim.

Boxed sets: I have about 250 DVD's, and I can say in all honesty not one has been scratched when I opened the packaging. In fact only one of them is actually scratched now. (When I dropped one of my Scrubs disks.)

Still waiting for my Twin Peaks set to arrive...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bonedwarf said:
Twin Peaks ending: I must be in a minority then, as is every other Twin Peaks fan I've known over the last 15 years, as we all thought the ending was fantastic.
That there is no ending fits with the whole mystery of Twin Peaks and is oddly fitting but it's not like they intended to end the series that way though. They got cancelled.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Bonedwarf said:
Customs: Speaking as someone who has, sadly, had a lot of experience with customs buggering around with my stuff, I can state categorically that while they've opened the shipping packaging before, I have never received ANY DVD's that had been unwrapped in any way by customs.
Yes, that's my experience, too.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I would have loved to see a follow-up movie either made for television or theaters, or at the very least, a novel that continued the story. We never saw either. I didn't realize that the majority of TP fans actually were satisfied with the "ending" as aired! I also am of the mind that TP hadn't burned out; a lot of people disagree. I think the 2nd season wasn't very good, but I see things that could have re-invigorated the series had it continued. We'll never know, but what was filmed was nice anyway.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
During the shooting of the finale episode, the general feeling from the cast and crew was that this was going to be it, they knew they where going to get cancelled, Lynch knew there wasn't going to be a third season.
David Lynch may have known he would be able to shoot a Twin Peaks movie and he may have intended that film to close-up the loose ends presented to us in the final episode which later proved impossible when Kyle MacLachlan refused to reprise his role as Cooper, later agreeing to appear in a small cameo role.
Structurally Twin Peaks is a soap opera. The traditional soap opera has no beginning and ending, it stays very much in the middle of story arcs, not wanting to resolve them - this is why the Laura Palmer mystery should have been spread over the course of several seasons, instead it gets solved in the first quarter of season two, and the writers bring-up the next two large arcs: Windom Earle and the Black Lodge, which are both later intertwined into a single narrative.
The finale of Twin Peaks is very much in the soap opera tradition, it provides several cliffhangers and unresolved narrative arcs - it provides us with no resolution, which one reason why it works so well.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Dale MA said:
this is why the Laura Palmer mystery should have been spread over the course of several seasons, instead it gets solved in the first quarter of season two
In the interest of fairness, however, let's be very clear that the murder was never intended to be solved so quickly but viewers vigorously, rabidly demanded it. So many shows are brought to ruin by their creative staff, but TWIN PEAKS is a rare case of a show that was brought to ruin by viewer interference.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Malcolm R said:
Are you sure these are not being opened/handled/played by customs people? I've never bought a brand new box set in my life that had any fingerprints on the discs inside the box.
Cept i live in the US, and i had all 10 discs buggered. Its the hand collating, thats the problem. That, and the mold injecting ports from the plastic trays, its not cut close enough. Not unlike the problem many had with the He-Man set, when it first came out.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Indeed, Lynch apparentely never wanted to reveal the killer - but I actually think that it works out quite nicely the way it is in season two, the killer is revealed and then we get some of the mythology behind that and some background information on Cooper in the form of Windom Earle who I thought was a great character.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I loved how the show ended, even though it ended with cliffhangers, it fit the series well. I always thought it was the price Cooper had to pay for saving Annie, it was his sacrifice.
I would have been sorely disappointed had Laura's killer not been revealed at all. The reveal episode is one of the best episodes of the series. I was disappointed by FWWM when it first came out but a couple of years ago I bought it cheap and enjoyed it a lot. I think not seeing the series in a long time helped. A sequel would have been preferred but the prequel was ok.
Malcolm R said:
I bought Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, season 3, Vol 1 from Wal-mart and it had fingerprints on one disc and scratches.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I think they knew the series was ending before those final eps were filmed. So I assume they went for broke and ended the series the way they did on purpose. Brilliant and gutsy. Proof the series could have been turned around quality-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks