What's new

Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just the loss of Miguel Ferrer would make any further continuance bittersweet. The relationship between Albert and Gordon was one of the highlights of this revival.
Absolutely. To the best of my recollection, Cole and Albert share no screen time in the first series (though they're in scenes together in FWWM) and they made a great team in the new episodes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Re Adam's photo:

I don't think he saved Laura. That was the point of episode 18. Cooper defeated BOB and set Mother back, but in his arrogance, tried to save Laura. In attempting to do so, he may have shattered his reality and Laura's reality forever. So, it's more like "If you try to save Laura Palmer, everything else will stop making any fucking sense...and you'll break your reality."
Yeah, that wasn't meant as serious theorizing. I just saw it on Facebook and it made me chuckle so I posted it here.

Just the loss of Miguel Ferrer would make any further continuance bittersweet. The relationship between Albert and Gordon was one of the highlights of this revival.
I agree with this. If they did do a Season 4, I'd hope that they'd find a way to include him in the "curtain call", even if it involved tricks similar to the ones that incorporated Frank Silva into this.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Yeah, that wasn't meant as serious theorizing. I just saw it on Facebook and it made me chuckle so I posted it here.

Recall the end credits to LOST and how people thought (and still think) the characters were dead the entire time! You're placing us all in jeopardy! No...Adam! What have you doooooooooone....*blinks out of existence*

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My wife had expressed interest in watching The Return, but didn't watch it live with me. A friend of hers had shown her Fire Walk With Me in college and she absolutely hated it but remembered nothing from it. I can understand that reaction if you've never seen the show and have no context for anything. When the Blu-rays came out, she expressed some mild curiousity and hesitation because of the memory of FWWM being unpleasant, but gave it a try. Really liked the first season, was bored by the slower pace of the second season, but liked the Windom Earle wrapup. I told her she'd need to rewatch FWWM to enjoy the new show and that was the roadblock.

Today we were both off and she said, "I can't believe I'm going to suggest this, but do you watch to watch Fire Walk With Me?" So we did. She understood it this time, didn't love it but got it.

And now we're starting The Return. Just finished Part 1 which she enjoyed. "Tommy Wiseau" was her immediate reaction to Mr. C.

If I see anything that stands out in the context of the ending, I'll try to point it out here. From the first episode, the conversation with Cooper and the Fireman seems as though it could take place after the events in the finale, as if to say, "Remember why you're there and how to get out". When the Firemen tells Cooper, "You are far away," he could be referring to Cooper's whereabouts at the end of the show and not just the beginning. Or both. Lodge stuff doesn't necessarily correspond perfectly to real time, I figure.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My sister and I watched FWWM when it was first on cable, never having seen the show. We made fun of it for years. She's still a little astonished that I'm now a TP fan.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I'd avoided Fire Walk with Me for years because every friend who'd loved the show had told me to stay well away. I finally watched it in the run-up to the new series, and was absolutely floored. As someone who was more drawn to the Lynchian horror elements of the show than most of the quirkier bits (which were overplayed in season two), the movie's deep dive into an empathetic, nightmarish vision of Laura's abuse grabbed me and never let go. (Hell, I even liked Moira Kelly better as Donna.) I totally get Cooper's overreach in the final epsiodes this week, because I'd never wanted to jump through the screen and help a character as much as poor Laura Palmer in that movie...which is exactly what he tried to do. Indeed, Part 17's Back to the Future II take on FWWM was as thrilling as it was trippy in that regard.

I've now watched Part 18 three times. Acutely aware that the clock was running down on Sunday night, I could feel the frustration setting in...this was going to be the biggest audience "fuck you" ever. I definitely felt that way overnight. But in the morning I watched it again. It didn't make any more sense, but with expectations removed it *felt* better. It also kind of hit me that, yeah NONE of my questions were answered, but I'd just seen Dale Cooper and Laura Palmer occupy the the same space on a road trip together for the entire final half-hour of all things Twin Peaks. Kyle McLaughlin was so damn good throughout, but by god so was Sheryl Lee here. Watch her in that final scene in front of the house, and you'll see the old stoned, frightened Laura creeping back in. The third time I watched it tonight, at Coop's final "What year is this?!" it just all clicked. In answering nothing and making no sense, it all made sense. I have no idea why. That's Lynch...that's Twin Peaks.

I'm still not sure about the big Cooper-face superimposed over most of the last half of Part 17, though...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In rewatching Part 2 last night (first time for my wife), I noticed something interesting. The final shot of Cooper and Laura in the Lodge from the end credits of Part 18... it's taken from their Part 2 encounter. And I had forgotten that the thing question Cooper had asked before she walked up to him and whispered in his ear was, "When can I go?" Then, when she starts speaking, his face sinks. So it would seem that he didn't get an optimistic answer to that question.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
A multipurpose symbol with many meanings
[S3E8] A multipurpose symbol with many meanings • r/twinpeaks

http://i.imgur.com/5H2foSt.mp4

5H2foSt.gif

[S3E8] A multipurpose symbol with many meanings

lIdYpN5.jpg

I think Mother, Jiào Dé (Judy), and the Experiment are all one in the same.

I also don't think enough attention has been paid to this image from "Part 18".

tp_s3e18_01.png

That looks like a "Bob bubble" around that man's stomach bursting out of his shirt. Maybe Carrie Page killed the guy to keep Bob at bay. Cooper may have changed the past to keep Laura alive but he didn't go back far enough to stop Bob from being created.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've now rewatched through Part 7, with my wife. She made a connection in Part 5 that I had missed in my solo viewing. The room key for the Great Northern that "Dougie" drops and Jade finds, it's for room "315". When Cooper is in that strange room with the electrical outlet in Part 3, the first number he sees is "15", and then the one he travels through is "3". I knew all of that, but I had never put together than the outlet numbers can be combined to make the room key number.

I thought I had something in Part 7, but it ended up not being a thing. When the Renault brother is on the phone during the legendary Roadhouse sweeping scene, he mentions that the Renault family has owned the Roadhouse for 57 years. I got really excited for a moment, because if the show is supposed to take place in 2014, which I believe it is (25 years after Laura's murder, Laura was murdered in 1989), 57 years ago would be 1957.... and I thought that was the year the Woodsmen came to New Mexico. Could that have meant that there's some supernatural ownership involved in the Roadhouse? It could make sense, since some of the possible split timeline in the show may diverge at the Roadhouse. But when I looked up Part 8, it turns out the Woodsmen arrive in 1956. So much for that observation. But I was really excited for a good thirty seconds.

One final thought I had - we know creamed corn is the physical manifestation of garmonbozia (pain and suffering). I thought it was interesting that Gordon Cole had a painting of a fresh ear of corn on his wall. If creamed corn is pain and suffering, is the photo of whole corn a nod to the idea that Cole gets his strength from helping people rather than hurting them? I'm thinking of that more as a metaphor than actual plot point, but of course, with this being Lynch, he could have just liked the picture.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The 2 soundtracks came out this week and both have some great music on them. I was mostly unfamiliar with the bands that played the Roadhouse but there's a couple that are really good. The score CD with mostly Angelo Badalamenti stuff on it was, of course, top notch.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Man, I hated Sunday without Twin Peaks. Wish that could have gone on for the rest of my life.

Watched Part 8 with my wife on Sunday. My all time favorite movie is 2001: A Space Odyssey and she hates the Ligeti music and finds it unsettling (which I agree it is) and unpleasant (which I disagree on). So the bulk of Part 8 went about how I expected. The reaction was "I kinda hate you a little bit for showing this to me." I feel a little bad but mostly I think the art was working the way it's supposed to if she reacted that strongly. I explained what I thought it meant - in as much as anything that Lynchian has concrete meaning - that I thought the bomb ripped open a doorway to something else, that we saw the Experiment hatch a Bob egg (I'm trying not to get ahead of her so I left out that it's probably Judy), that the Giant creates the spirit of Laura Palmer to counter that, and then we see the Woodsmen hypnotize a town facilitating the implantation of a bug parasite. What it all means is up for debate but what happens seems more or less straightforward.

Part 9 was more enjoyable for her. And I absolutely love the "this is the chair" scene - a top 5 moment for me this season.

I'm kinda dreading the ending. I think she'll hate it and I don't have a great read on it yet. I think it comes down to that I'd love it as a season finale, but as a series finale I'm struggling.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Any thoughts as to the significance of the unsent text from Evil Cooper to Diane? We saw a text with the same content appear on Diane's phone much later; same text? re-send? spoof?

Lynch's subtle commentary on cell technology (couple this with Lucy's phone arc)?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Any thoughts as to the significance of the unsent text from Evil Cooper to Diane? We saw a text with the same content appear on Diane's phone much later; same text? re-send? spoof?
I could be underthinking this, but my interpretation was that he didn't have service when he originally drafted the text, and then it sent when he came in range of a cell tower.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm kinda dreading the ending. I think she'll hate it and I don't have a great read on it yet. I think it comes down to that I'd love it as a season finale, but as a series finale I'm struggling.

On the plus side, it's going to give you a free pass when you need it most:

Your wife: "You forgot our anniversary!"
You: "What year is it?!"
Your wife: "Aiiiiiiiiiiyeeeeeeeeeeee!"

And then you'll both laugh and laugh. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks