Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Oh I agree.

Still stings a bit tho ....
I can see that. I felt that sting in 1992 when Fire Walk With Me came out, and I was expecting some resolution to the season 2 cliffhanger. That experience made me appreciate that I am never going to get easy answers from a Lynch film.

Reactions: Tino

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Cooper is FBI, he will continue to rescue Laura, it's his job. But he is also of the Lodge now, unstuck from time, and I expect he is destined to repeat the cycle in perpituity.
Man, I hope they aren't trapped in a loop. When that kind of thing happens to Fred Madison in Lost Highway, I think it's deserved that he end up doomed. If Cooper is in a similar hellish loop, he will always keep trying to save Laura but that is a horribly unfair fate for both characters. I find the end of FWWM to be somewhat positive (or as positive an ending can be when a 17 year old girl has just been raped and murdered) because Laura has found some peace with the angel and Cooper is protecting her. While Cooper is still a guardian of Laura in a loop scenario, it's horrible to think that they'll both just continue doing the same over and over.

None of that is to say "F-you, your thoughts are wrong!", I just hope that hasn't happened to Coop and Laura.

Reactions: Adam Lenhardt

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Re: the bomb blast (sorry the quote function is being wonky on my phone). I don't think it created Bob either. Rather, I think it created a weak point between our world and theirs that made crossing over easier, and/or alerted them to our presence and advancement. When the Woodsman is asking "Gotta light?" on one level it's just the cigarette, but on another level it could be a reference to the atomic blasts - "got any more of that for us?" or "I'm looking for the source of that light, do you have it?"

I've kinda always taken it that the Lodge speak and inhabitants and descendants are so weird looking and talking in part because it's them trying to find a form that we can perceive and it's our brains trying to make sense of something that is actually otherworldly. So the Woodsman as a dirty man with an unlit cigarette is an approximate translation of an unexplainable phenomenon.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Re: the bomb blast (sorry the quote function is being wonky on my phone). I don't think it created Bob either.
My take was that the detonation of the bomb was so evil and against nature that it created the BOB that we see in the series. That "evil that men do" has always been around but the specific one that would eventually inhabit Leland and wanted Laura was created by the Trinity (?) blast.

As much as I love shows like Breaking Bad, The Twilight Zone or The Wire, I can't imagine having this kind of discussion about them.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Joe_H

Screenwriter
One of the interesting things that I saw going around Reddit and Twitter (who knows if that's the intent or not) is that the Chinese phrase / pseudo-homonym for Judy (especially in that ridiculous Philip Jeffries accent) "jiāo dài" means "to explain".

Reactions: TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
One thing's for sure, Part 18 guaranteed that Mark Frost's Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier will sell a shit ton more copies.
I would recommend caution to anyone buying the book solely looking for info such as clarification on what happened to Audrey Horne after S2 to be in there. I could see the book having a mention of Audrey being caught in the bomb blast and not mentioning her again after that. I may be wrong but I would think anything that was deliberately vague in the show probably won't have any light shed on it.

Been preordered for months. Along with the soundtrack and score, which are coming this Friday I think.
Yeah, it comes out on Friday. This might sound like a joke but Target has an exclusive version of the soundtrack that comes with a coaster from the Roadhouse.

Josh Dial

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Re Adam's photo:

I don't think he saved Laura. That was the point of episode 18. Cooper defeated BOB and set Mother back, but in his arrogance, tried to save Laura. In attempting to do so, he may have shattered his reality and Laura's reality forever. So, it's more like "If you try to save Laura Palmer, everything else will stop making any fucking sense...and you'll break your reality."

Greg_S_H

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just think: if ABC owned Twin Peaks instead of Lynch and Frost, they'd take it away from them now, give it to Shonda*, and make a by-the-numbers, completely coherent wrap-up season. Thinking of it that way, I'm okay with not knowing what the **** I watched last night.

* - I have not seen a second of anything Shondaland, so just pulling out a mainstream creator (who happens to be associated with the original show's network). We can go with Dick Wolf if you'd prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Another great interview with MacLachlan

‘Twin Peaks’ Star Kyle MacLachlan on Divisive Finale: “Good Art Asks Questions”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...e-explained-kyle-maclachlan-interview-1035013
I agree with MacLachlan:
Final question for you. What's going to happen to the Mitchum brothers with the FBI if Cooper isn't around to attest to their hearts of gold?

That's a very good question. (Laughs) I have full faith that those guys are going to be "A-OK," as Cooper would say. How could they not be with the ministration of the three ladies they have with them? They will be fine.

Reactions: Tino

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Just think: if ABC owned Twin Peaks instead of Lynch and Frost, they'd take it away from them now, give it to Shonda*, and make a by-the-numbers, completely coherent wrap-up season. Thinking of it that way, I'm okay with not knowing what the **** I watched last night.

* - I have not seen a second of anything Shondaland, so just pulling out a mainstream creator (who happens to be associated with the original show's network). We can go with Dick Wolf if you'd prefer.
CBS owns Twin Peaks, not Lynch and Frost. It's part of the reason the show went to Showtime, a CBS property. Regardless, I am happy that David Nevins took a huge risk on something so challenging, especially after reading the script and knowing the outcome, as well as having to bring Lynch back to the table when negotiations broke down.

For that reason alone I'll keep subscribing to Showtime. I think it's important that the network's decision is validated. Maybe they'll take more risks, either with Lynch, or other artists.

Lord Dalek

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
CBS owns Twin Peaks, not Lynch and Frost. It's part of the reason the show went to Showtime, a CBS property.
Well now they do, the show's ownership has actually changed hands a couple of times since its premiere.

Last edited:

Reggie W

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, I can only applaud Showtime for bringing Lynch back and bringing him back again when he walked away. Due to the fact that I see the entire endeavor as a giant risk and not at all intended to appeal to a wide audience...I think outside of Twin Peaks fans there is/was no audience for this...so I don't want to be hard on the show.

I would rate the entire thing as OK, they did a great job in some episodes and a pretty lukewarm one in others. It was "peaks" and valleys for me. I did like that they seemed to know who their audience was...an older crowd that watched the original series...and never detoured to try to draw in younger/new viewers. So, it was a good, honest effort as far as I am concerned.

On if they will do more...

I don't know, I believe just drawing Lynch into doing this was a pretty big deal. I'd like to see him do another film but I do not know how people view this return to Twin Peaks revival...as a success or a failure (and I am not talking about fans). If it is seen as a success somebody may fund another picture from Lynch. If it is seen as a failure I think Lynch goes back to meditating and painting. Plus I wonder how he feels about the entire deal. Is he inspired to make another film or was 18 hours of Twin Peaks enough for him. I would consider too that based on the age of most of the cast for this revival if he ever decided to do more it would entail creating some new characters.

Last edited:

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
If it is seen as a success somebody may fund another picture from Lynch.
It's a tragedy but given the lack of movies from him in the last decade, it looks like funding is too hard for him to find any more. However, Netflix is doing movies with Adam Sandler, Brad Pitt and Martin Scorsese (and to get those guys, Netflix must be giving them a massive budget/paycheck, letting them have lots of creative freedom or both) so I think David Lynch could find a home there too.

Reactions: Reggie W

Joe_H

Screenwriter
One of the things really sticking with me today is how appropriate Eddie Vedder's imaginary Roadhouse song in episode 16 was for what the ending turned out to be. Not going to quote the whole thing, but definitely fits what happened in episode 18.

I stare at my reflection to the bone
Blurred eyes look back at me
Full of blame and sympathy
So, so close
Right roads not taken, the future's forsaken
Dropped like a fossil or stone

Now it's gone, gone
And I am who I am
Who I was I will never come again
Running out of sand
I mean, of course that could apply to life in general, but I feel like the ending gives it new meaning in the context of the show.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badritbneha