Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Posten, Oct 6, 2014.

1. 721 Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes Second Unit

What are we to make of the final scene in the diner? The song Sleep Walk is playing and when the guy comes into the diner asking "Has anybody seen Billy?" all of the patrons are replaced with other people. And it almost seems as if Shelly has noticed what happened.

2. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I don't think that scene means anything. Just another random quirky occurrence in TP.

TravisR likes this.
  3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

For the most part, I'm enjoying Dougie but I have to admit that every time that Cooper shines through, I keep getting excited that this is what's going to make Cooper finally re-emerge.

4. 724 Jun 19, 2017
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin
    Dougie is a nice bit of physical comedy for MacLachan but not a particularly intriguing branch of the story to me. I try not to but I keep thinking about why nobody brings Dougie to the hospital or a doctor to be evaluated. He obviously is having severe issues unless that was normally how he behaved which seems unlikely.

5. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Actually his wife made a comment in one of the recent episodes. When the two security guards brought him home one of them said "He seems a little dis-oriented".

She replied "That's on a good day".

So he may be acting almost normally for his character.

Reggie W likes this.
  6. 726 Jun 19, 2017
    questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    Janey-E also made the comment at the beginning of "Part 5" after tying Dougie's tie on the front stoop while he watched Sonny Jim blinking backwards in the car with a tear streaming down Dougie's cheek, "Okay, Dougie, you're acting weird as sh*t!"

[​IMG]

Reggie W likes this.
  7. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Gregory Arkadin
    Yes, Dougie is not right in any way...

Dougie.jpg

TravisR likes this.
  8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    They were so young then.

[​IMG]

TravisR likes this.
  9. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I do wish Ontkean had decide to come out of retirement for this. Just think how the scene would have played out with Hawk with a sheriff who knows what happened in the past and was a believer in the supernatural.

Tino and TravisR like this.
  10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

When I was a little kid, I had a recurring nightmare where I was playing outside on the side yard and it was a beautiful idyllic day. But then the back door would open and instead of the normal room that was through that door there was only darkness. And I didn't know what was inside the darkness; I just knew it was unspeakably horrible. The mere sight of that door in those nightmares would fill me with dread. I haven't thought about those dreams for years, but this one shot in last night's episode brought that back in a very visceral way:
    TwinPeaks_Revival_028.jpg
    It's the follow-up scene to the one earlier where Andy was questioning the owner of the truck that Richard Horne used in the hit-and-run of the little boy. The man in question was incredibly nervous and made it clear that he wasn't able to speak freely there, so Andy negotiated a time and place to meet where he could be more forthcoming. Now it's over half an hour past the agreed-upon meeting time, and the man doesn't show. We don't see what happened to him, we just see the image above.

Lynch is a master of imbuing seemingly innocuous images with intense foreboding.

If I had to guess, if the "real" Dale Cooper is going to come back sooner rather than later, it will happen in one of the next two episodes. Either next week, ahead of the Fourth of July hiatus, or three weeks from now, because it will be the midpoint of this revival.

If it doesn't happen in one of those two, I'd bet on it happening in the last episode or two.

The patrons aren't actually replaced with other patrons. It just seems that way because Lynch breaks the 180 rule and cuts from one side of the diner to the other (so that the patrons who were in the foreground are now in the background and vice-versa).

What's interesting is that Angelo Badalamenti's Windom Earle motif creeps in at a low volume under "Sleep Walk" after the man comes into the diner, lending the scene a more foreboding feel than it'd otherwise have.

It's the only story line that's trying my patience, but I thought they it got exactly the right amount of screentime in Part 7. Every scene with "Dougie" mattered.

Part of why the storyline works better than it should is that MacLachan isn't just playing those scenes for physical comedy. There's a wonderful poignancy to "Dougie's" lost and childlike state, and he exudes a warmth and intrinsic decency that Special Agent Dale Cooper had in spades but that Dark Coop is utterly devoid of. If he doesn't get an Emmy nomination for this revival, it'll be an absolute crime because he's probably doing the best work of his career -- big screen or small screen -- here.

I'm still hoping against hope that Lynch convinced him to shoot a scene for the last episode and they're just keeping it under wraps to preserve the surprise.

It was particularly jarring when we went from Frank's phone call with Harry, where we could only hear Frank's side of the conversation, to Frank's phone call with Doc Hayward, where we heard both sides of the conversation.

11. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    My son commented that the phone calls to Harry remind him of the 'calls' to Diane in the original series.

Also, I really want the sheriff's desk with the built-in screen

And I was hoping that Albert was going to acknowledge that Tammy was now one of them after Diane's comment to her.

12. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Holy shit! I'm actually watching this with my wife right now!!

Josh Steinberg and Greg_S_H like this.
  13. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Aw, you should have saved it for date night! ;)

"He put his disease in me!"

Josh Steinberg and Tino like this.
  14. Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes Second Unit

I don't think that's right. I took some screen shots to illustrate. The first image is before Bing (Riley Lynch) runs in and asks "Anyone seen Billy?" It cuts to the other side of the counter and then to a reaction shot from Norma. Then it cuts back to the first side of the counter again, in the second shot below. The woman in the black beret and purple jacket seem to be in the same place, the two women in the lower left hand corner may have just reversed seats, and the bearded guy behind Shelly in the top photo looks to be in front of the door. But there are very different people from one shot to the next. And Shelly clearly has a confused reaction (though that could simply be a reaction to Bing.

diner1.jpg diner2.jpg

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Gotcha. It's that initial cut from one side of the restaurant back to the first. I was looking too late in the scene.

A continuity error on the script supervisor's part, Duwayne Dunham borrowing a Double R shot from another scene to pad out the running time, or a deliberate choice? I'm not sure.

You're right: Shelly's reaction could be to the sudden change in her patrons, or it could be to the bizarre interruption.

Greg_S_H and Tim Gerdes like this.
  16. Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes Second Unit

I'm willing to accept that it was just a continuity error between two takes, but between Shelly's reaction and the Windom Earle motif, the scene seemed cut that way by design.

Greg_S_H likes this.
  17. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I don't think Lynch would let an error slip by like that. I don't know what it means, but it means something. I wonder if I would have noticed if I'd been more awake, but I was fading at that point. Probably not.

18. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    IMG_3176.JPG Love this shot for some reason.

19. Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes Second Unit

Maybe it's just Lynch's homage to the final scene in the Sopranos. ;-)

20. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I'm late to the party. First time this year that I haven't seen it on time. I traveled from NYC to Philly for a U2 show earlier in the day, had a great time catching up with an old friend who had settled in the area, and then the transportation home was a little extra interesting. The sun was coming up when I got home and it just didn't seem right to watch Twin Peaks half asleep and with daylight shining through. I usually don't waste days waiting for darkness, but it was hard not to today.

And oh boy was it worth the wait. There were so many moments where it felt like an extension of the original series. A lot of The Return has had a feeling closer to FWWM, more hypnotic than episodic, but this felt (in the best way possible) like a television episode. One awesome scene would happen and I'd think to myself, "I hope they follow this up next week," and then five minutes later, they're already following it up. And it kept happening again and again. It's starting to become clearer how some of these threads will start connecting, but the ultimate outcome is still unknown. I never have any idea what to expect next, and it's wonderful.

I've loved every minute of this so far, but I'm especially loving this episode.

TravisR, Greg_S_H and Tino like this.