What's new

Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seems looks the the old Coop is starting to emerge. Hopefully he'll "wake up" soon.

The vertically challenged killer was disturbing. Especially his choice of weapon.

The truck accident scene was powerful and tough to watch.

Loved seeing Greta (?) again. That awesome laugh. :lol:

Naomi Watts is terrific.

Were those diary pages Hawk found from 25 years ago??

And after 25 years....FINALLY!

Gotta watch this episode again soon.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That hit and run scene topped both Maddy's murder in Episode 14 and the rail car scene in Fire Walk With Me as the most horrific act of violence in "Twin Peaks".

The only thing funnier than the "Jade give two rides" "I bet she did!" exchange was the little person ice pick assassin.

The cue from Angelo Badalamenti when Coop was drawing ladders was classic Twin Peaks music.
I think my patience has more or less run out with the Dougie subplot. Hopefully, Coop will have "woken up" by the time Ike "The Spike" Stadtler comes for him. It was lovely to see Jeremy Davies back with his Dickie Bennett hairdo, though.

Harry Dean Stanton and Laura Dern in one episode is too good to handle.
The geography for the Carl Rodd subplot confused me. Fire Walk With Me established the Fat Trout Trailer Park as being in Deer Meadow, Oregon. Even if the town is right on the state border with Washington, in the Northeast corner of the state, it would still be a minimum 5 hour drive to Twin Peaks. This episode made it seem like Twin Peaks was the nearest town over.

That Laura Dern would be playing Diane was a popular theory, now confirmed. I'm excited to see where that leads.

Fucking Gene Kelly Motherfucker!!:lol::lol:
Love Albert. His character was all over the place in the second season, so it's nice to see him back to his ornery old self.

We're those diary pages Hawk found from 25 years ago??
Kinda looked that way. It was nice to get some pay off from the Log Lady's message.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The geography for the Carl Rodd subplot confused me. Fire Walk With Me established the Fat Trout Trailer Park as being in Deer Meadow, Oregon. Even if the town is right on the state border with Washington, in the Northeast corner of the state, it would still be a minimum 5 hour drive to Twin Peaks. This episode made it seem like Twin Peaks was the nearest town over.
The continuity between the series and FWWM is kinda wonky in that area. I believe that the pilot says that Teresa Banks was killed in another part of the state. However in FWWM, it would seem like Deer Meadow is much closer because Leland is seeing a prostitute there, Laura works as a prostitute there and Deer Meadow Deputy Cliff sells drugs to Bobby (and gets shot for his troubles). To my mind, Deer Meadow must be in Washington for so many people from the town of Twin Peaks to be connected to it.

I guess you could say that Desmond and Stanley flew to Oregon and met with Cole (and Lil) and then drove to Washington where Deer Meadow is.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I rewatched Part 5 before this, and maybe I'm crazy, but I thought I noticed something at the end. When Tammy Preston is comparing photos of Cooper, the young Coop looks like it's a publicity still of him in the red room. How would the FBI have that? Production oversight or clue, or am I seeing things that aren't there.

Powerful episode this week. The hit and run was so difficult to watch, it's one of the most brutal things I've seen.

Though I do miss Coop being his old self, I'm enjoying the show too much to complain. Kinda bracing for the possibility that it might not happen til the end.

I'm still pinching myself at the main credits each time, I can't believe it's actually back. I haven't been this excited about anything on TV in a long time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. I think we're in for the long haul with Dougie. The whole series may be mostly about getting old Cooper back.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Red was channeling Frank Booth so much, I thought he was going to take a hit of oxygen. If he doesn't kill Richard, hopefully Mini-Vin Diesel will follow Coop back up to Twin Peaks and do it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anyone wanna hazard a guess as to what revelation Dougie's boss saw in his scribbling/drawings in those case files?

I saw ladders and stairs and I think stars. A pattern? Were they all Sizemore's cases?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They appeared to be Sizemore's cases...from the meeting in the last episode, Coop called him a liar when Sizemore was saying the insurance company had to pay out on a claim. Sizemore's name was on the papers and I think they all had the same police officers at the scene. My guess is that it's some kind of insurance fraud and Sizemore is somehow getting a cut.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The continuity between the series and FWWM is kinda wonky in that area. I believe that the pilot says that Teresa Banks was killed in another part of the state. However in FWWM, it would seem like Deer Meadow is much closer because Leland is seeing a prostitute there, Laura works as a prostitute there and Deer Meadow Deputy Cliff sells drugs to Bobby (and gets shot for his troubles). To my mind, Deer Meadow must be in Washington for so many people from the town of Twin Peaks to be connected to it.

I guess you could say that Desmond and Stanley flew to Oregon and met with Cole (and Lil) and then drove to Washington where Deer Meadow is.
Rewatching Carl's introduction, the sign now says "New Fat Trout Trailer Park" and is located in a different place:
TwinPeaks_Revival_027.jpg

So it looks like Lynch & Frost sidestepped the whole geography question by implying that Carl took over a new trailer park near Twin Peaks and brought the sign and the name with him.

Were those diary pages Hawk found from 25 years ago??
I read a theory elsewhere that makes a lot of sense: In Fire Walk With Me, Laura Palmer wakes up next to a bloody premonition of Annie Blackburn lying next to her in bed. Annie says, "My name is Annie. I've been with Dale and Laura. The good Dale is in the lodge and can't leave. Write it in your diary." Because of the nonlinear nature of time in the Black Lodge, the scene takes place post-Season 2 from Annie's vantage point but pre-Season 1 from Laura's vantage point.

Laura does as instructed, but because she has already handed her secret diary over to Harold Smith, she writes them on loose leaf instead. Leland/BOB finds these additional pages and seizes them as well. He brings them with him to the railcar, but they fall out when Laura and Ronette are dragged up. MIKE tries to enter the railcar, and Ronette is pushed out. The door closes, and MIKE stands by helplessly as Laura puts on the ring. Trapped outside the railcar with an unconscious Ronette, he finds the additional loose pages and brings them with him.

In Episode 10, Phillip Gerard excuses himself to the bathroom but fails to inject himself in time with the medicine to subdue his passenger. MIKE emerges in the bathroom stall at the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department. He stashes the pages of Laura's diary with Annie's message in the stall door.

In Part 6, Hawk finds them in the door of the same stall 25 years later and finally learns what happened to Agent Cooper.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I read a theory elsewhere that makes a lot of sense: In Fire Walk With Me, Laura Palmer wakes up next to a bloody premonition of Annie Blackburn lying next to her in bed. Annie says, "My name is Annie. I've been with Dale and Laura. The good Dale is in the lodge and can't leave. Write it in your diary." Because of the nonlinear nature of time in the Black Lodge, the scene takes place post-Season 2 from Annie's vantage point but pre-Season 1 from Laura's vantage point.

Laura does as instructed, but because she has already handed her secret diary over to Harold Smith, she writes them on loose leaf instead. Leland/BOB finds these additional pages and seizes them as well. He brings them with him to the railcar, but they fall out when Laura and Ronette are dragged up. MIKE tries to enter the railcar, and Ronette is pushed out. The door closes, and MIKE stands by helplessly as Laura puts on the ring. Trapped outside the railcar with an unconscious Ronette, he finds the additional loose pages and brings them with him.

In Episode 10, Phillip Gerard excuses himself to the bathroom but fails to inject himself in time with the medicine to subdue his passenger. MIKE emerges in the bathroom stall at the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department. He stashes the pages of Laura's diary with Annie's message in the stall door.

In Part 6, Hawk finds them in the door of the same stall 25 years later and finally learns what happened to Agent Cooper.

This is exactly my theory, as well. The key point to note is that Laura wrote on the loose leaf and not the diary. Good summary, Adam.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
While I am enjoying the new season I have to admit I am finding the Dougie bit more than a little tiresome.

His crazy looking green suit makes it OK with me.

And as long as Dougie is around so is Janey-E. And more Naomi Watts is always welcome. :wub:

DBl8n23XkAEYQ9B.jpg

However, Watts said in an interview before the premeire that she only shot on Twin Peaks for three weeks and didn't know if it would all be in one episode or spread out over multiple episodes. So I think we're probably nearing the end of her appearances.

Last edited:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Who names a kid Sonny Jim?

It would be worth having a prequel about Dougie to show just how weird a cat this is that people notice he's off, but they don't think he's *too* off.

"DOUGIE! DOUGIE! GO UP AND SAY GOODNIGHT TO SONNY JIM! DOUGIE!!!!!! GO UP THOSE STAIRS AND SAY GOODNIGHT TO SONNY JIM!"

^^^ And that's from the prequel, not a scene with Coop.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's both so similar and so different from the original series.

I frikkin LOVE it!

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I recently re-watched David Lynch's Rabbits (2002) this past weekend and noticed one of the non-sequitur lines Jack says is "It was the man in the green coat." I also watched a documentary titled Lynch (2007) that had a scene of Lynch putting a suit coat in what appears to be a bucket of green dye.

(The green dye scene starts a 9:47 but YouTube URLs with start times do not work here. There's also a shot of the finished coat at 1:13:06. And, at 1:16:53 they edit Lynch making a phone call to the Rabbits and when Jack picks up the phone Lynch says "The man in the green coat.")

I think there is also something in Inland Empire with a man in a green coat—which is what Lynch was making the coat for in the above video—but I've only seen that once and it's probably the most difficult-to-follow Lynch movie of everything in his oeuvre so I can't recall the detail of it. (A little bit of research reveals that Laura Dern's character's husband is seen wearing the green coat through a window in the movie set house.)

10-the-man-in-the-green-coa.jpg

The man certainly has a thing with green coats!

QiQ2tDUx.jpg

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It's both so similar and so different from the original series.

I frikkin LOVE it!

I think the really big difference between the older Twin Peaks stuff and this is, I do not recall laughing at every episode nearly all the way through each episode. Everything in this new series...apart from maybe the first two hours which struck a nice balance I thought...seems played for laughs. As somebody else said this seems almost like the SNL parody version of Twin Peaks.

It's fun but really silly...as if Lynch wants to combine his style with that of Monty Python or something. The show is very silly and I was not expecting that really.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the comedy might be seem more overt in the new episodes because it's involving Cooper. He certainly had comedic moments in the first series but since he was investigating a murder, he was generally serious and in the new series, he's being played for alot more laughs so far.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There was certainly comedy in the old show and in the movie. I think it was more balanced with the mystery. I also feel that much of the comedy had more of an edge. Now watching this new season I feel like I am laughing a lot and things are played, intentionally I think, to be more funny. Now, maybe this is intentional that these earlier episodes are meant to be more comic before things turn darker or more mysterious.

I am not upset by it and I am still enjoying the show but I am finding less mystery and more comedy so far. Dougie is "silly" to me and the fact that the people he works with or his wife appear only aggravated with him is funny. He is practically in a walking coma and can't even get himself dressed or into a bathroom and this seems not to make anybody around him curious. This is fun and absurd of course, so I laugh at it but I am wearing out quickly on the Dougie bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks