What's new

Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime (1 Viewer)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
RIP

I enjoyed his performances the most in Twin Peaks and Robocop. These new episodes are going to be a bit bittersweet with the losses of him and Catherine Coulson, I'm glad we'll get to see at least one more performance from them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For those with a record player, the score to Fire Walk With Me was released today on cherry pie red vinyl over at https://mondotees.com/ . The TV series album is still available too. The cool thing is that the album artwork of the TV series and FWWM were designed to be something like a yin and yang- they're both have a zig-zag die cut to look like the red room floor and the TV series sleeve is white and FWWM is black.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's been interesting slowly making my way through this series for the first time via Blu-Ray. I watched the double-length second season premiere tonight, and was surprised about the tonal shift; things were a lot more bonkers than the first season, where even the ridiculous things were largely played straight and the offbeat and peculiar elements mostly came in from the margins. The whole ten-minute opening scene with the old hotel waiter coming in to drop off Cooper's milk and seemed willfully obtuse to the fact that the man had been shot was an indicator that things were about to become a lot looser.

These discordant elements -- Donna Hayward's out of nowhere personality transplant, Leland Palmer's song-and-dance numbers, Blackie's out-of-nowhere drug addiction -- as well as some broadening of character dynamics that had an exacting specificity in the first season -- lovably innocent deputy Andy is portrayed here as pretty much a complete moron, and Albert Rosenfield's arrogant impatience with people who don't live up to his exacting standards the second time just becomes gratuitous dickishness toward rural living in general -- rob the show of some of its intensity and upsets the careful balancing of the plethora of genres this show draws from.

This was also the first time that the upconverted video footage really stood out to me; I can't say I noticed any during the seven-episode first season. The footage of the smouldering ruin of the mill was particularly bad -- perhaps they used real video footage from an actual fire -- but the crossfade between Cooper and the donuts and the pieces of the mystery he'd put together also stood out, as well as Ronette Pulaski's flashback to BOB's animal-like attack on Laura Palmer.

Despite the drop in picture quality though, and maybe because of the more comedic slant of the rest of the episode, that flashback is especially shocking and horrifying, like Lynch is slapping us across the face and saying: don't be enjoying this too much, after all, a young girl was brutally murdered.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if they'll air "The Missing Pieces" at some point or if that will remain exclusive to Blu-ray for now.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
LL

I had to Google to check whether that was a bald Rob Lowe in that first one, LOL. (Yes, I know it's James.)

Also, Denise Bryson:

LL

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The cover story of this week's Entertainment Weekly profiles the "Twin Peaks" revival:
TwinPeaks_Revival_025.jpg

There's a gallery of photos available here:
Twin Peaks: 9 Exclusive First Look Photos

As cool as it is to see these actors playing these characters again, there's something a little depressing and sad about how many of them are doing the same jobs they had 25 years ago. It makes sense that Norma's still working the diner, since she owns it, but I was hoping that Shelly would have moved forward a bit professionally. I will say that Mädchen Amick has weathered that quarter-century incredibly well, however. And some how the years have only accentuated Deputy Andy's Andy-ness.

EDIT: Whoops -- What Josh said.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As cool as it is to see these actors playing these characters again, there's something a little depressing and sad about how many of them are doing the same jobs they had 25 years ago.

I think one interesting thing to pay attention to will be if these are the same versions of the same characters, or if something about the nature of time in the universe has changed and we're seeing a different version or a different reality. In Mark Frost's "Secret History Of Twin Peaks," Frost gives some character histories that don't completely match and in some cases completely contradicts what we saw with our own eyes on the show. When asked about this, Frost wouldn't directly address the issue but hinted that if anything was different, it wasn't a slip of his memory but something more intentional.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Here's what Lynch thinks of Frost's The Secret History of "Twin Peaks" as far as questions concerning continuity:
But Frost says he’s never stopped thinking about the strange “child” they had together, even recently giving it a uniquely ******-up family album in the form of The Secret History of “Twin Peaks.” (Lynch hasn’t read it. “It’s his history of Twin Peaks,” he insists.)

David Lynch in the Beautiful World of Twin Peaks

http://www.gq.com/story/david-lynch-twin-peaks-profile

Twin-Peaks-0417-GQ-FEDL02-01.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Whatever Lynch said about the book - Mark Frost co-wrote the entire script for this new season of Twin Peaks, so whether or not Lynch and Frost see eye-to-eye 100% of the time, it's entirely possible that Frost's ideas are part of the show. When directly asked about the contradictions, Frost said you'd have to watch the show. Everything about the book seems to be setting up the mythology for the third season. I would be extremely surprised if nothing from the book factored into the show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Whatever Lynch said about the book - Mark Frost co-wrote the entire script for this new season of Twin Peaks, so whether or not Lynch and Frost see eye-to-eye 100% of the time, it's entirely possible that Frost's ideas are part of the show. When directly asked about the contradictions, Frost said you'd have to watch the show. Everything about the book seems to be setting up the mythology for the third season. I would be extremely surprised if nothing from the book factored into the show.
Yeah, since The Secret History basically ends when S2 ended, nothing has to be directly used in the new episodes (so Lynch doesn't have to have read or acknowledge it) but simply due to having the same writer on both projects, there must be some of the same elements/ideas in both of them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, since The Secret History basically ends when S2 ended, nothing has to be directly used in the new episodes (so Lynch doesn't have to have read or acknowledge it) but simply due to having the same writer on both projects, there must be some of the same elements/ideas in both of them.

I agree. For instance, I figure the show is going to have to spend some time on the story of Agent Cooper and the Black Lodge - the book covers that, so whether or not Lynch has read it, I can imagine what's in the book will inform what's in the script. Lynch has said "Fire Walk With Me" is important to understanding the new season, and I feel like the book has a lot of background for "Fire Walk With Me" as well, more case info, etc. So whether Lynch read it or not seems almost besides the point to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks