What's new

Twin Peaks Question (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I was wondering how to tell the difference between the Twin Peaks pilot movie that gives away the killer at the end, and the true pilot that is the beginning to the series? Are there any scenes or giveaways before the killer is revealed? I'd hate to watch the wrong version and then have it ruined for me before I got into the series.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that the movie version of the pilot is only on VHS and LD. So if you're watching a DVD, you're safe.

Plus, the reveal of the killer sorta isn't really the killer. I'd explain more but I don't want to ruin it for you. :)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
How about run times? There has to be a difference between the pilot and the pilot/movie right? Anyone happen to know how long either of them is?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Yep. The originally aired tv pilot ran 94 minutes. The theatrical version was issued primarily for the European market, and ran 113 minutes.

The differences in editing occur ONLY towards the ending, (unless there's a tiny snip here or there that I've never noticed). These begin towards the end of the theatrical movie, when Lucy is on the phone, and all the way to the end; these are scenes shot only so that the theatrical film could have a legitimate ending. These scenes are considered out of continuity by fans. There is a brief sequence towards the end of the theatrical, supposedly set in the future, that was incorporated into the tv series as a dream sequence. This is of course, the famous "dancing dwarf with red curtains talking backwards" scene.

Yeah, yeah, you dudes think "Lost" is psycho...

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Can someone refresh my memory, please. Who owns the rights now? Paramount? Didn't Warner Bros. release the LD of the pilot?

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
Paramount have the rights to Twin Peaks now, and are currently preparing the DVD release of season 2. The last I heard, it was due out next spring.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
We're lucky to be getting season two, I believe. Does anyone know if the theatrical version of the pilot is available on VHS in the US ? I've never seen this version although I do know who the "original" killer turned out to be. ;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yes, the pilot is out on VHS and LD in the US. I picked up the LD a few years back. I usually watch that because it actually looks and sounds better than the Korean TV pilot. The different ending is just icing on the cake.

"...Catch you with my death-bag!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks