Twin Peaks Pilot

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BarryS, Mar 12, 2003.

1. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

I've been a David Lynch fan for several years now, and I've seen all of his films, but I've never seen the Twin Peaks series until recently. I just watched the pilot episode for the first time. However, I'm a bit confused because I've seen the running time for the pilot listed as 113 minutes. The DVD of the pilot that I saw was only about 93 minutes long. The very last scene was of Laura Palmer's mother lying back on a couch, then sitting up and screaming suddenly, which was intercut with shots of a gloved hand picking up something in the dirt. Then the end credits come up. Is this the original broadcast version of the pilot? I know there's more than one version. I looked up the review on DVDFILE and I thought they were reviewing the same one that I watched, however it has the running time listed as 113 minutes also.

I enjoyed the pilot episode and am ready for more. I got the DVD from a video store and they also have the first season DVD set for rent, so I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the first season, and eventually the entire series.

When I said that I had seen all of Lynch's films, that is including Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, which I watched several years ago around 1998 when I first became a David Lynch fan. I had not seen any of the series at that point, but I just wanted to see all of his films. This did not ruin the series for me because I don't remember hardly anything about the film except for two really weird, surreal scenes (which were about the only aspects of the film that I enjoyed). I certainly don't remember any plot aspects of the movie, so Laura Palmer's killer is still a mystery. Back when I saw the movie, I didn't really know or care that you had to see the TV show first, I had no plans to watch the series, I just wanted to see something with David Lynch's dark weirdness, which FWWM occasionally delivered. It's kind of frustrating that I will have to wait until I have seen the whole TV series before I can watch the movie again. Damn. I'm eager to see the backwards-talking dwarf and the traffic scene with people in those weird white masks again. Those parts were cool. That's all I remember about the movie.

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

3. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

Thanks, Ike. I guess the run time in DVDFile's review must be a misprint.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I wouldn't say that the whole second season was "true shit" after Ep 16. I there were a string of bad episodes with bad plot threads, but the show picks up again around Ep 22/23 and is pretty strong until the end.

I still think season one may be my favorite season of television period, but season two isn't horrible.

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Well, if you are going to complain, make sure you know the names. It's Windom Earle not Harley Earle.

And in regards to
    Josie's death
    ...it was partially explained later on.

As to the
    Civil War crazy syndrome
    ...I personally like it, but that's a taste thing, and it is resolved before the last seven episodes.

My point is that it comes down to taste...I prefer that you say something like "I didn't like it" rather than saying "the show became true shit."

I'm not saying your wrong for disliking it, and your certainly in the majority, but don't dismiss the show just because it doesn't agree with your tastes.

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I don't visit the TV forum every day [​IMG]

Like I said before, I agree that the second season was worse than the first...and I have read Lynch on Lynch so I know David's thoughts on things. I especially agree that revealing Laura's killer took the series downhill...but
    I think the show is bigger than "who killed Laura Palmer?"

The reason that I like Windom Earle to an extent is because of the duality between him and Coop. In fact, duality is such a major theme in TP that it really works.

Coop/Desmond
    Good Coop/Bad Coop
    Coop/Windom
    Leland/BOB
    Phillip Michael Gerrard/MIKE
    Mike/Bobby
    ...and there are plenty more.

Hell, there are even Twin Peaks [​IMG]

We can agree that the last episode kicks ass though, right? [​IMG]

9. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

10. Jordan_E