What's new

Twin Peaks Pilot DVD (1 Viewer)

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
OK, I have never seen Twin Peaks but I plan on getting the Box Set as soon as it comes out which I think is next week. Anyway I know that this has been covered but I want to be sure. Is the Silver Screen or what ever Pilot DVD that is region free the good ending that does not show the killer? or is it the one with the killer?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
It's the version that was shown on American TV as the pilot. No killer revealed.

PS: Did anyone else smack themselves for not figuring out who the killer was? I remember the National Enquirer or some other rag sheet revealed it to be ... (not really a spoiler but )

Deputy Andy, who is *not* the killer.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I remember watching the show a bit, but I never fully watched it all. I will be buying the box det when it comes out. Silly question, but the thing is full frame, right ;)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Just recently purchased two copies and I'm still waiting for them to arrive. One's for myself and the other is a Christmas present for a friend that will go along with the box set.

This is the only video release that has the broadcast ending. I wonder if Warner will release this version or the stupid one when they finally decide to put out a disc.

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen the pilot but it was the one with the tacked on ending where the killer is revealed. My question is does this then ruin the latter episodes which I was looking forward to seeing?

And what was up with the 25 years later and the midget that was talking backwards?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I had no idea there was a version where the killer was revealed. Where did this version come from? What is the origin of that version?

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
from what I understand, the 'spoiler' pilot was shown in Europe, where I come from.

I watched the whole thing but don't remember thinking 'doh, they've shown the killer'. Maybe its just something you notice in hindsight? By the time I found out, I certainly didn't remember.

My wife will be watching this for the first time, so should I seriously avoid the Euro pilot?

RogerB

Second Unit
And it was this European, theatrical version that was released on laserdisc here in the US. Sold mine on Ebay long ago... :frowning:

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Jacob- The tacked on ending doesn't exactly spoil the series, because it has a different resolution to the case. You should just forget you ever saw it. (Although, clips from it turn up later during a dream sequence.)

GregMT

Auditioning
I got the Pilot from Scarecrow video at:Link Removed. Nice service there. Can't say whether or not they've got more, but it's worth a look.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Yeah, don't worry about the Euro-ending pilot spoiling the series. It was an ending shot in case the pilot wasn't picked up, so it could be sold as a stand-alone film. Personally, I don't think that the Euro ending is all that great.

The whole 25 years later sequence shows up later in the series as a dream, as does some of the conversation with the one armed man, and one shot of Bob at the end of the bed.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the reflection in the mirror above the couch that Grace Zabriski is lying on at the end of the pilot? The same shot is in the Euro-pilot, about 20 or so minutes from the end. It's when she wakes up from her bad dream.

I had taped the whole show off of TV when it originally aired, and my strange friends and I would often pull all-night coffee and pie viewing sessions to see how much we could get through. One time we watched the WHOLE SERIES.

Anyhow, none of us had noticed the reflection until probably our third attempt at all-the-way-through viewing. "JESUS, WHAT'S THAT IN THE MIRROR?" We rewound and rewatched it probably a dozen times.

If I remember correctly, this shot is also at the end of the "previously, on Twin Peaks" montage at the start of the first episode, so all of you who have the box set and don't have easy access to the pilot can check it out.

I love Twin Peaks. I cannot wait to get this set.

Jason Bovberg

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a copy off eBay last week for $14, but its cover looks different from the covers I'm seeing posted here and in other forums. Mine doesn't have that big Silver Screen banner on the left side. Otherwise, it appears to be the same. It is from Republic Entertainment and has a little Catalyst Logic logo in silver. Is this just a new cover? it looks professional. I'm a little hesitant to peel off the shrinkwrap.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Was the pilot aired in the US as the first episode? And if so why isn't included in the box? If I'm going to get the box, then I should get the pilot??

BTW, a local B&M (Kim's Video on St. Marks place) has a whole pile of them.

Ted

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
[I said:
Before TP was sold to ABC as a series, Lynch/Frost
raised money to finance the production of the pilot episode
by signing a contract with Warner Home Video. The contract
gave Warner Home Video the rights to sell the pilot episode
as a movie on video in Europe (not knowing whether the pilot
would result in a series, Warner wanted to ensure they could
make their money back.) In order to sell it as a movie, the
contract stipulated that the pilot must stand on its own and
have a ]Quote:
Without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks