TWIN PEAKS on Bravo tonight

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan_E, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Heads up, tonight @ 8 o'clock, Bravo will be showing the 2 hour first episode of TWIN PEAKS. For those who bought the DVD set, this will be a must see, especially for those lucky ones with DVD recorders. Not sure if Bravo will be playing the entire series over again, but I hope so, as I am dying to watch season 2 again after devouring my DVD set.

2. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Thanks for the heads up Jordan...will be sure to check it out.

Chris

3. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Several 1-hour episodes are being shown tonight/early tomorrow. Tivo lists the same description for each of them, so I don't know if they are the same episode. Then there will be an episode every weekday at 5/5:30 AM.

I'm looking forward to watching the regular episodes, as I've never seen them. I saw the 2-hour first episode and Fire Walk with Me, which I heard I shouldn't have watched.

~T

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Oh, cool! I never watched this stuff but with me newfound love of Lynch, I really wanted to see this.

What is the deal with the pilot vs Fire Walk With Me? Which takes place first?

I'll try to record everything they air and take it from there...

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Mike, though the events in "Fire Walk With Me" occur prior to the events in the series, it is most definitely intended to be watched last. Otherwise, you won't get much of what's going on, plus the entire series will be spoiled. I cannot stress enough how important it is to not watch "Fire Walk With Me" until after you've seen the series.

Mike, is it not possible for you to rent the pilot and season 1? If it is possible, then I'd definitely recommend going this route over viewing it on BRAVO, particularly with regard to the season one stuff from Artisan, as the quality of the DVD transfer is among the highest I've ever seen for a TV show (including a flat-out amazing DTS track). The pilot DVD ain't quite so good, but not so bad either (and easily available for cheap).

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thanks for the info on the movie, Rich. I will definitely watch the pilot and episodes first, then.

It is my understanding that the show got canceled before they were able to finish, so is the movie then an explanation?

What's wrong with the Bravo presentation? If it's just the picture quality, that's OK because I have a very nice satellite reception and a digital recorder, so no VHS involved. Even if the transfer is better on the DVD than on TV, I'd probably just end up buying the DVDs at some point anyway unless I really don't like the show. For now, I'm just interested in checking out what this show is all about.

If, however, they actually edit the content, then that would be different.

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Mike, it might be slightly edited (you know, like the usual "syndication shortening"), but otherwise should be the same. I own the DVDs, so I've never tried renting them, but perhaps they're available at Netflix, Hollywood, (dreaded Blockbuster)? Perhaps not the pilot...

As for the quality of the presentation, I think it's the audio that you'll miss most of all... it's a great DTS track (and the music is so wonderful).

As for the cancellation, it did come somewhat abruptly as I recall, but the primary story of Laura Palmer had been essentially wrapped-up some episodes before. In fact, I think you could safely watch "Fire Walk With Me" after having seen Season 1 and approx. the first half of Season 2. Artisan probably intends to release all of season 2 in a single set, but IMO they don't have to.

(BTW, I think the negative reaction "Fire Walk With Me" received is almost entirely due to the first half-hour. Had Lynch begun the film at the point in which we find ourselves in Twin Peaks, approx. a 1/2-hour into it, then I think the general audience wouldn't have been so thrown. I'm not saying I wish he'd done that, but I do believe that this put-off the audience more than the other knock against the film: that it was not nearly as humorous, and simply too dark and too scary and too violent as compared to the series.)

8. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Man, do I appreciate the DTS on the DVDs now! I caught the 2nd episode and could barely hear the terrific music cues, while they stand out beautifully on the DVDs.

9. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

How many episodes are there in season 1 and 2?

~T

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

So, season 2 does end with a cliffhanger?

It's always made me wonder how such a cult show could get cancelled. It seems to have such a following, must be like the Rocky horror picture show, built over time.

I saw a couple episodes, but didn't get much, I have to see the pilot. I taped it on Bravo, and i'm watching it Sunday night. If I like what I see, I'll try to download the next 2 episodes online and re-watch them. I think I might plunk down the cash for the DVD's, but maybe I'll wait for Season 2 to come out. I'd like to not have to wait so long.

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thanks for the info, folks.

I started watching the pilot on Halloweeen and planned to just keep watching until I got sleepy. Well, I didn't get sleepy- I stayed up all freakin' night! I am really digging this show and will definitely watch all of them on Bravo. Then I'll buy the DVDs.

I've only seen the pilot, Fire Walk With Me, and season 1 on DVD. Are there plans for season 2?

This looks like the kind of series to watch twice, so my second time will be with the fancy soundtrack on DVD.

I heard somewhere that Lynch was making it up as he went. But I have to assume that he knew who killed Laura Palmer, no? Or maybe he started to improvise it after that mystery was revealed? Hmm.

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

14. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Well, Bravo has finished all the episodes.

I should've stopped watching when Cooper returned to the real world, instead of being left with that cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

I'm not exactly sure what happened though. Did Cooper sacrifice his soul to save Annie?

~T

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

There are no answers to your question [​IMG]
    The intricacies of Twin Peaks have been debated since the end of the series, and there is no right or wrong answer.
    BTW...they are re-running their series now. I watched FWWM and the Pilot last night (early morning). I can't believe how badly they butchered FWWM with edits. I guess Chet Desmond just isn't that important. [​IMG]

16. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    "That is one damn fine cup of coffee!"
    I caught the opener last night too, hadn't seen it in years. It reminded me of how easy to follow the show was early on before it got all trippy on us. [​IMG]
    Behold also gentelmen, the beauty that is Madchen Amick (aka 'Shelly Johnson' on the show) in the series opener. I was/am so captivated with her when I first saw this show that I couldn't pay attention to what was going on in the scenes that she was in! :b: