Twin Peaks FWWM question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenny Goldin, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Is it OK to watch this without seeing the whole series? All I have seen is the pilot and the Artisan season 1 box set.

Also, any news on when the rest of the episodes will come out?

2. NateM

NateM Agent

Well I haven't seen the movie (or the entire TP series for that matter) but I think the movie will show you who the killer is and so it would probably not be a good idea to watch it until after you've finished watching the series. I was thinking of picking up a copy of FWWM this morning but I held off due to this fact. Although I think I may just buy a copy a stash it away until the rest of the series is released.

3. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

I've seen the whole series and the movie and DO NOT watch the movie first. The movie is a prequel, and in my opinion a lot of the drama of the events in the series was in the discovery of the facts. To me, watching FWWM would be akin to reading the last page of the book first.

If you pick FWWM up now, I'd wait on watching it. As to when the next season is out, I'm sorry that I don't have an answer (partly because I'm desperate to get it also!).

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Didn't you read the HTF TP FAQ?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=38561
    That will answer all your TP questions.

5. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

It won't completely spoil the enjoyment, but I can't stress enough that you should really wait. It will make the experience that much better.

6. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

I completely agree! The emotional impact of who the killer is and the ultimate resolution of that storyline is the MOST powerful experience that you will view in your entire movie watching & TV watching days.

It will be lessened greatly by spoiling it with FWWM, which is totally fantastic in its own right and for its own reasons...but not before you finish the series!!

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah. Definitely stay away from the movie till you see the whole series. I was duped (about 2 months) ago into watching the movie before I had seen the series...and boy was I pissed. I've since watched the entire series, and love it to death...but I sure wish I could take back the fact that I had already seen FWWM.

8. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

Stay Far away from the movie until you have seen the entire series.

9. Duane M Davis

Duane M Davis Stunt Coordinator

Duane Davis
    Not only does the film reveal the Killer, it reflects the change in tone of the series in the second season. Twin Peaks' first season is a fun quirky mystery. The second season gets darker and weirder and much more mystical. Although the film is much, much darker than the series ever gets (exception: the depiction of the murder of Laura Palmer I thought was much more intense in the series than in the movie
    ) it still goes into some things that weren't revealed until well into the second season.

(my spoiler tagged comment doesn't reveal the killer or anything; Just an event we all know about but don't read it if you want to be surprised that we get to see it)

10. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

i just wish Artisan would put us out of our misery and at least announce season 2 [​IMG]

11. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

Just to clarify,

Would you all suggest waiting for the COMPLETE second season before watching FWWM, or is there some episode (say...when the killer is revealed) that would make it acceptable to watch the movie?

The reason I ask, is that I have also purchased the pilot, season 1, and now FWWM. (Don't worry...I'm keeping the movie wrapped until it's time...) However, I've heard rumours that Season 2 may be split in two when it's finally released (keeping the size of the box sets relatively the same as season 1). I'd hate to think that I couldn't watch the movie until all of Season 2 had been released...especially if there is another lengthy wait between Season 2 part 1, and Season 2 part 2.

Thoughts?

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

You really have to wait till you watch the entire second season. It's a must. While most of what would be spoiled is the identity of the killer of Laura Palmer, there is also other stuff concerned with (as someone else put it) the darker stuff in Season 2.

13. Duane M Davis

Duane Davis
    (you beat me to the post, but here it is anyway)

I'd wait for the whole season. Truth is, the main spoiler would be the identity of the killer, which is solved about a third of the way into the season. The second third went off on a new tangent then the final third got back into the Laura story and it's that plotline that will be hurt by watching the movie. There's stuff in the film that you won't understand until its nature is explored in the final third of the series.

I really can't wait for the second season because I really want to get into a discussion about the movie, and right now, the only ones who can discuss the movie properly in context with the series are the ones, like me, that watched this stuff 11-12 years ago. There are so many people discovering it now and actually being able to follow it, that the discussion is going to be much more worthwhile. It was hard for most folks the first time around. You HAD to tape it and you HAD to watch it more than once. You only got episodes sporadically, at the time. I remember having a friend of a friend in another state taping some episodes for me because of occaisional college basketball pre-emptions.

I do have a question. Just out of curiosity, of you folks watching the DVDs and really getting into it and who don't know the killer, are you, say, under 30? How did you manage to avoid the result the first time? It was quite the cultural phenomenon the first season, and while the vast majority of folks bailed out early on, they still announced the killer in the various media outlets and it wasn't particularly a secret again up until recently. How did you miss it? I mean, I love the interest and I love that it's a big secret again. It's fun as heck seeing folks go through what relatively few of us went through a decade ago (actually caring, that is). You guys have something wonderful in store for you because the series goes off in such a cool direction the second season that I am dying with anticipation on just folks reactions to it. What I'm getting at, is I never watched Dallas, yet I know who shot JR. I never watched Survivor, yet I know who won.

(I hope this doesn't come across as obnoxious. I'm just curious) Thanks for any responses.

14. Duane M Davis

Duane Davis
    Oh yeah, don't even watch the trailer.

15. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

16. Lawrence Davis

Lawrence Davis Stunt Coordinator

There are a few scenes in FWWM that directly relate to the final TV episode (#29) and will just leave you confused if you haven't seen the series first. The next box set from Artisan should reveal the identity of the killer (I know what episode it is, but I won't say). After you've seen that, you could then watch FWWM, but it would still leave you confused and unable to put some scenes in context. I guarantee you'll be thinking, "what the heck was that about?". In Fact, I can practically guarantee you will feel that way anyway, even if like me, you saw every episode of the series! [​IMG]

17. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

18. Duane M Davis

Duane Davis
    Good answers so far.
    As much fun as this is (and I LOOVE talking Twin Peaks again), I miss it the way it was because the discussion was more into trying to guess who the killer was using the clues provided. I don't see that anymore among the new Peakers since there's a definitive answer and any discussion invites spoilers and unintentional spoilers. Back then, it didn't matter what we said since it was all conjecture. The wonderful part, though is once you know the killer, it still goes on and gets that much cooler. Stuff like, what the heck is that red room all about? Anyway, welcome to TP [​IMG]

19. Luke_A

Luke_A Agent

I'm 17 years old, and I had no idea who the killer in Twin Peaks was until I was reading a dvd review of Blue Velvet on a certain dvd website, don't remember which one. That upset me quite a bit considering I just discovered the series and watched the heck out of season one.

20. Duane M Davis

Duane Davis
    I just looked at the review, and it was pretty rude. In its defense, the review was written 2 years ago and the resolution wasn't a secret then. It only seems to have become a secret again thanks to the new DVDs and folk's rediscovery of it, which is what prompted my question anyway.

I know what you mean, though. I had never gotten around to seeing the Usual Suspects and had the resolution ruined for me by reading a spoiler page on a film I had already seen (Scary Movie). It had nothing to do with Scary Movie, but the review gave off a casual reference that spoiled it for me. I finally did see it.