What's new

Twin Peaks FWWM: DVD vs. Current Cable Edition (1 Viewer)

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
For those who felt David Lynch's framing of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me on dvd was a little too tight, the current cable version running on Showtime and The Movie Channel seems to be from the same, re-mastered image source as the disc; It has the improved clarity, definition, color and black levels...but is completely open-matte, like the old VHS edition. It's a rare opporunity to get this "opened up" edition, since it isn't otherwise available on dvd. Granted, the 1.85:1 dvd edition--weirdly cropped on all sides--is the way Lynch lensed it, but I think the open version plays well too, feels more immersive.

Interestingly, the audio appears to be a slightly different mix. The infamous sequence in the Canadian bar restores the dialog to its original, drowned-out glory, correcting what is widely thought to be an error on the dvd of having it mixed much louder...which spoiled the "you are there" effect.

In addition, a brief scene which featured newly tracked music on the dvd--Desmond's final standoff with the Sheriff over the custody of Theresa Banks' body--goes without in the cable version.

As far as I know, the scene marking Chester Desmond's disappearance--as he reaches under Banks' trailer--which faded to white on VHS, still fades to black.

Beyond the few exceptions, the full-frame cable version and dvd are otherwise the same.

Collectors take note: this is probably a rare chance to get this version uncut. Check your listings; they're sure to give it another run soon (I hope).

--Jack

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
So the cable version cut the scene where Cable tells Desmond "You're not taking that body anywhere." ? Very strange that they would cut that part.

It's a shame about the audio in the New Line version. Not only is the audio completely messed up on the bar scene in the New Line version, but the DVD is also has a glitch or omission where during the intro of Agent Cooper. In the VHS and every other version, there is a cymbal hit from when they show the Philadelphia bell to when Cooper enters the room. In th New Line version, they are missing that sound effect altogether.

I'm thinking about putting up a petition to ask New Line to re-do the audio on the US release. Plus, adding the Deleted Scenes wouldn't hurt either.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

No, I think when he says "goes without...newly tracked music", he means that scene has no background music but the scene is still there.

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
dugpa.com reported that someone was working on a brand new documentary based on the making of Fire Walk with Me. I'm wondering if New Line is planning a new special edition release somewhere down the line. I really hope they fix the audio in the Canada scene.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Short of Newline issuing the dvd with corrected sound and even making it open-matte, I made a very decent looking personal-use DVD-R off of The Movie Channel. Next time I play the film, I think I'll reach for that version, minor compression artifacts--mostly from the original satellite broadcast--and all.

John, as Will suggested, I only meant that the score for the scene with Cable was absent in the version aired on the movie channel; the scene itself is intact. It's hard to know whether any of the subtle changes in the audio mix for the DVD--as in the case of the missing cymbal--were done by Lynch himself, since he's credited with supervising the transfer and audio. I have my doubts that he would've approved the change in dialog volume in the Canadian bar scene. But I can almost see him re-jiggering a little music here and there, a cymbal strike, etc. I hope someone asks him about this in a chat session on his website...

--Jack

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Good question.

I imagine they'd run Fire Walk With Me widescreen if they had plans to air it on their HD channel.

All my channels are standard definition. I'm still glad to have had a chance to score the open-matte version in SD, which is how it'd be offered were a full frame version ever to be made available on commercial dvd.

By the way, anyone else find it a little odd that the 1.85:1 version of FWWM now on dvd seems to have been extracted from the center of the negative (as compared to my old VHS edition and the version currently running on TMC and Showtime), not only cropping the image on top and bottom, but on the sides as well?

The open-matte version reveals considerably more picture info on all sides. Granted, not the way Lynch wanted it screened...

--Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks