What's new

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Alrighty, I consider myself a David Lynch fan for the most part...I've seen most of his movies, and love interviews with him...but I was only 9 when Twin Peaks was on TV so I never watched it. And of course I've never seen Fire Walk With Me, that is until tonight. It was on IFC and I thought I'd watch it...and I'm sitting here as puzzled as ever. Can anyone start to explain things for me or at least point me to a webpage or something?

I do understand that I should have seen the series first, but watching the movie was spur of the moment thing.

Anyway, thx for the info...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's too bad you watched TPFWWM, because you've now deprived yourself of much of the suspense when you do watch the series. And, frankly, watching the series all the way through is the only way to make sense of TPFWWM. The series lays out the "realistic" framework (such as it is) of the Laura Palmer story, and then the film kicks it over into nightmare territory. The nightmare isn't nearly as effective unless you've first absorbed the realist elements, and it's not something that can be done from reading a synopsis or a FAQ.

M.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well alrighty, then I really did make a mistake watching the film.

I think the only way out is to jump off of my balcony...because after watching it, I can't laugh, I can't smile...I can't do anything...hehe.

Seriously though...I'll just try to get my hands on the series no matter how devoit of pleasure it may now be...it will at least explain things.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I really wish there was something at the beginning of FWWM that says something like "If you haven't seen the other Twin Peaks episodes, and plan to see them, don't watch this movie until you're finished with the Twin Peaks series, because it'll ruin the Twin Peaks series for you!"

Doug R

Supporting Actor
This is the wrong thread but it sorta fits..

I also ALMOST watched FWWM but didn't and I have never seen Twin Peaks but I want to now that the DVDs are out.

Before I purchase the DVDs, is the series sufficiently concluded? I would be hesitant to invest in the DVDs based on recommendation and a love for David Lynch alone if the series is left up in the air. =(

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Doug, be aware that the Pilot episode has not been released on DVD in North America, and so is not included in the recently released 1st season DVD box set. You can go rent the series, but watching the pilot is CRUCIAL to setting up the whole story. Seriously, don't even think about watching the series without first watching the pilot.
You'll have to look for that on VHS, unless you can find a video store that has bought the "All Regions" DVD. I bought mine on eBay, but I was surprised to see that Amazon.com lists it.
If you have to opt for the VHS, be aware that what you'll see is not what TV viewers saw (or what's on the All Regions DVD). Lynch had to tack on a stupid ending for theatrical release in Europe. You'll have to disregard the last 10 or so minutes as not really being part of the original pilot. There's some kind of rights dispute regarding the original version that aired on US TV, which is why it hasn't been released here yet, but AFAIK, the All Regions DVD is an honest-to-goodness official release in Taiwan and Hong Kong, and is not a bootleg.
Here's a couple of reviews of it:
Link Removed
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...aks_pilot.html
I just found this Home Theater Forum FAQ:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...in+Peaks+Pilot
The Pilot is, IMHO, one of the best things ever shown on TV.
Vickie

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'll just try to get my hands on the series no matter how devoit of pleasure it may now be
Oh, there are lots of pleasures to be had from the series other than suspense. Otherwise it wouldn't have such a high rewatchability factor. But when the series first played, people would debate for hours who the killer was, and you already know.

To add to what Vicki has said about the pilot: If all you can get is the VHS or LD with the tacked-on ending, you're still OK. It's the same pilot that was shown on TV up until the last ten minutes or so. Just stop playback at around the point where Sarah Palmer wakes up screaming; the dream that's awakened her is part of the "previously on Twin Peaks" at the beginning of the first episode on DVD.

M.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I'm just like Matt, I'm a big Lynch fan, but was too young to watch the series when it was first broadcast. I saw TPFWWM a few years ago, and I really, really enjoyed it until Chris Isaac disappeared - from then I just didn't have a single clue what was going on! :frowning:

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Before I purchase the DVDs, is the series sufficiently concluded? I would be hesitant to invest in the DVDs based on recommendation and a love for David Lynch alone if the series is left up in the air. =(
Well, I've got some bad news for you. The available DVDs are only the first season. Nothing is resolved to the point that you will be ready for Fire Walk With Me. For this, you also need to see the not-yet-on-DVD second season. You should also be prepared for a giant cliffhanger to end Season 2. Unfortunately, there is no season 3, and the movie doesn't really deal with it. We've been hanging over the edge of that cliff for more than 10 years now. :frowning:
Don't get me wrong, it's still a great show. Definitely worth seeing. I can't stress that enough.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but the major thread of TWIN PEAKS is resolved midway through season 2 in an extraordinarily satisfying way.

It's really too bad that you've learned so much before seeing the series for the first time, but don't deprive yourself. If you liked FWWM, you're gonna love the Twin Peaks series. And Artisan's DVD package is absolutely top-notch, possibly the greatest DVD package of a television series ever. Looks great, sounds great... my only complaint are the less-than-intuitive, somewhat unweildy menues.

(And IMO the pilot episode isn't crucial to your appreciation of the series, but it's easily available on eBay for the low price of $19.99 shipped and is an excellent, excellent film in its own right. Don't deprive yourself, because it may well become harder and harder to find the longer you wait.)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You should also be prepared for a giant cliffhanger to end Season 2.
I'm not sure I'd call it a "cliffhanger", although it certainly isn't "happily ever after". :eek: Lynch said at the time that the end of the series would leave people screaming, and he was right.
M.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Since this thread is 'all things Lynch'; I happened to see a LD on sale for about $20 ,"Symphony ....????" by David Lynch.

Anyone heard about (or have seen this)? I know his store is going on line soon but the disc seems pretty rare.

Any Lynch experts?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Since this thread is 'all things Lynch'; I happened to see a LD on sale for about $20 ,"Symphony ....????" by David Lynch.
Anyone heard about (or have seen this)? I know his store is going on line soon but the disc seems pretty rare.
Industrial Symphony No.1
This is an hour-long live concert/performance art piece starring Julee Cruise (the singer on a few Twin Peaks episodes) and featuring Michael J.Anderson (the Man from Another Place) and Nicolas Cage & Laura Dern reprising their Wild at Heart characters.
This is also available on VHS but not on DVD.
I enjoyed it!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Okay...sorry to revive the dead thread, but I thought that I remembered someone on the forum selling the all regions pilot... If there was, are there any copies still for sale?

Thx for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks