What's new

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Warner Bros. Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Well, just passing on what I was told. It sounds more plausible than refusing to do a film due to a nude scene since Boyle had appeared nude in other movies. Mobsters and Threesome come to mind which were released in the early 90's right around that time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
John Sullmeyer said:
It sounds more plausible than refusing to do a film due to a nude scene since Boyle had appeared nude in other movies.
Not to mention that if she was so deadset against nudity that it would make her refuse to participate in the movie, I think they could have worked something out where she didn't have to go topless (especially since the Donna character has her shirt off for maybe 30 seconds).

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
I'm more interested to know why Sherilyn Fenn didn't get written into the film. True, the film was about the last 7 days of Laura Palmer, but Sherilyn was such a prominent character in the Series.

I think she was the only major cast member from the Series that didn't make it to the film in either the finished film or the cut scenes.

This film needs a documentary!

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Sherilyn Fenn was really pissed that the Cooper/Audrey love plot was dropped in the second season of the show, so she pretty much refused to come back for the film. That's how I heard it anyway, as usual with these kind-of things, take it with a pinch of salt.
In other news, I've just finished writing my 12,000 word dissertation on Twin Peaks. So it's poignant that Warner would mention Fire Walk With Me. Hopefully it's a good omen!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
That sounds a little fishy too since they compensated by having her have an affair with a character played by Billy Zane, so it's not like she was written out of the show.

While were talking about rumors and speculation, is it true that Lynch only wrote and shot scenes involving cameos from various characters from the series to fool the studio and producers into thinking this would be a full-out Twin Peaks movie with almost all the characters fans know and love, while knowing all along he'd cut those scenes out of the final cut?

John_S

Stunt Coordinator
I know I'll be the odd minority voice on this one, but I personally like Moira Kelly better as Donna. I just think she's a more appealing actress.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
And I personally liked the movie beter than the show. The show was a watered down, zippy safe coherent version of David Lynch and the movie was full bore, unfettered Lynch doing what he does best, making you squirm, making you flinch, confusing the hell out of you and spinning a nice murky mystery. Because it was a prequel to an established show, there was not as much really to figure out, as there is with most of his movies, so you could say that this was a matter of style over substance, but it was also a visceral reaction to being hamstrung by the limits of television, I think. As such, it's one of DL's darker nastier movies but also one of his best. I look forward to seeing it and all of his movies on Blu-ray.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Mark Hawley said:
That sounds a little fishy too since they compensated by having her have an affair with a character played by Billy Zane, so it's not like she was written out of the show.
While were talking about rumors and speculation, is it true that Lynch only wrote and shot scenes involving cameos from various characters from the series to fool the studio and producers into thinking this would be a full-out Twin Peaks movie with almost all the characters fans know and love, while knowing all along he'd cut those scenes out of the final cut?
I don't think so; why would he make a Twin Peaks movie without the Twin Peaks cast--even if they are just in cameos? Btw--which characters were cut out of the final product?
I maintain that I think LFB simply wanted to move on from teenager roles. That's very typical in Hollywood, and the most believable theory. In fact--I think I actually recall that being the reason, from back in the day.
Dale--I wanna read your dissertation!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ethan Riley said:
the Twin Peaks cast--even if they are just in cameos? Btw--which characters were cut out of the final product?
I've read the script a long time and plenty of articles about but going off the IMDB, the scenes with Johnny Horne, Josie, Sylvia Horne, Major Briggs, Eileen Hayward, Doc Hayward, Andy, Hawk, Jerry, Big Ed, Pete, Truman, Lucy, Nadine, Betty Briggs and Dr. Jacoby.
EDIT: Here's a link to a very detailed breakdown of the FWWM script vs. the finished movie- http://www.dugpa.com/fwwm_deleted_scenes.php

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
TravisR said:
I've read the script a long time and plenty of articles about but going off the IMDB, the scenes with Johnny Horne, Josie, Sylvia Horne, Major Briggs, Eileen Hayward, Doc Hayward, Andy, Hawk, Jerry, Big Ed, Pete, Truman, Lucy, Nadine, Betty Briggs and Dr. Jacoby.
EDIT: Here's a link to a very detailed breakdown of the FWWM script vs. the finished movie- Dugpa.com - A David Lynch and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Resource Site
Well, wtf? The only reason I went to see FWWM is because I thought all those characters were going to be in it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
TravisR said:
Here's a link to a very detailed breakdown of the FWWM script vs. the finished movie- Dugpa.com - A David Lynch and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - Resource Site
Thanks for that! I had read all about the deleted scenes before, but it was really interesting to see them all spelled out in the context of a larger whole. As much as I miss seeing all of those characters onscreen, especially after reading the scenes in the context of the rest of the film, I can definitely understand why they were cut.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
Josh Steinberg said:
Thanks for that! I had read all about the deleted scenes before, but it was really interesting to see them all spelled out in the context of a larger whole. As much as I miss seeing all of those characters onscreen, especially after reading the scenes in the context of the rest of the film, I can definitely understand why they were cut.
I too can see why some of the scenes were cut, however, there were a few that realy stand out such as the Buenos Aires David Bowie scene, or even the fight scene with Desmond and Cable which would have given closure to both of those storylines.
I read the Dugpa script analysis which was a great read and found there was even more that I hadn't remembered from the script. Even though many of the scenes were not central to the story, they are very typical of Lynch and his methods to establish tone in his films.
A complete cut would be great to see some day but after seeing Lynch's Deleted Scene Montage on the Inland Empire DVD, I think that the FWWM Deleted Scenes could work as a self contained mini film.
I was also surprised that the Richard Beymer scenes were never filmed with the actor citing that he was uneasy about the direction of his character and opted out. For some reason I had thought they were filmed.
Still, of all the Lynch films, this one screams for an Ultimate Edition, Deleted Scenes, and all to boot.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
With this year being the 20 year Aniversary, it is a shame that there hasn't been an announcement as of yet. Wonder what happened to Warner Bros. putting this one out. Also saw that the first 3 screenings for the 20th Anniversary in New York are sold out.
http://www.92y.org/Tribeca/Event/Twin-Peaks.aspx
Hopefully either Lynch or Warner are waiting to announce a Blu-ray with Deleted Scenes??? I guess I can keep dreaming...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm sorry but at this stage I'd rather have a complete blu-ray release of the Gold Box with all the special features from the Artisan Season One and Paramount Season Two releases included instead of this. Fire Walk With Me is just simply not a very good film and not the kind of representation of Twin Peaks I would like to have in the HD realm.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
The special features from the Artisan set and Season 2 were pretty awful and didn't even have the cast and crew talking about Twin Peaks for a majority of the interviews. The documentary done for FWWM which was done by the same company was even worse. I felt the extras on the Gold Box were superior. While I'd also like a Blu-ray of the Series, Fire Walk With Me is a must have on Blu-ray. Funny how folks either love it or hate it. Maybe we'll both luck out and get a true complete box set with both the TV series and FWWM film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I like to think of Fire Walk With Me and the Twin Peaks TV series almost as two separate entities. I see the TV series as the 'real' Twin Peaks which had time for alot of different elements so it could be funny or sad or weird or dramatic while FWWM was just the darkest side of Twin Peaks. That's not a knock against FWWM because given its story, all the more light hearted elements from the series (that I think most fans love) would have ruined the dark tone of the movie.
For those that haven't seen it in a while, give FWWM another shot. It's got an amazing performance from Sheryl Lee and the movie is fascinating because you can now see that it's the bridge that Lynch is taking from work where things are odd but there's a logical plot (like Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks) to somewhat more avant-garde movies where logic isn't needed (Lost Highway or Mulholland Drive).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/284073/twin-peaks-fire-walk-with-me-warner-bros-blu-ray/30#post_3894287
For those that haven't seen it in a while, give FWWM another shot.
I will definitely do so.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Lord Dalek said:
I'm sorry but at this stage I'd rather have a complete blu-ray release of the Gold Box with all the special features from the Artisan Season One and Paramount Season Two releases included instead of this. Fire Walk With Me is just simply not a very good film and not the kind of representation of Twin Peaks I would like to have in the HD realm.
I'm not sure, but I thought the series was edited on videotape (can anyone confirm this?). If it was edited on video, then they'd have to go back to the original filmed elements and completely re-edit from scratch--the way they're doing with Star Trek: the Next Generation. Not sure if that's a viable option for TP at this point in time, but you never know. If Paramount thinks there's money to be made, then I think we'll see a blu somewhere down the road. At least the Gold Box was so damn good, that it doesn't make me feel like I'm missing anything--not having the series in hi-def. (I feel that way now. Probably in another 3 years I'll practically be begging for a blu-ray release).
But even though this thread is 3 years old, it's clear that Lynch is slowly releasing his catalog on blu-ray, so TP:FWWM should be somewhere down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks