What's new

Twin Peaks Box is Awesome But..... (1 Viewer)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
THe TP Season 1 set is one of the crown jewels of my collection, but I have 1 question.

Why is set 4 discs instead of 3. (Disc 1- eps 1-3; Disc 2- eps 4-6; Disc 3- ep 7 and features)/ The Stargate Sg-1 has 4 eps per disc. I know there were some complaints that SG-1 was too compressed and sacrificed quality.

Does the fact that there is a DTS soundtack factor into this at all ?

The only reason this comes to mind is because I want then to release Season 2 as 1 box set and not 2. But at 2eps per discs, that means 11 discs, which might make execs believe the price would be cost prohibitive.

Anyway, I 'm off for a doughnut and some "damn good coffee".(Just not some run through a filter with a fish in it.)

Tony Mirra

Stunt Coordinator
I think the DTS track coupled with a video bit rate that is higher than even the Columbia "Superbit" titles is exactly the reason why they are spread out two to a disc.

And Artisan's priliminary indications are that they plan to split up Season 2 into 2 box sets.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That's still better than the LDs, which split season 2 into 3 box sets.
Not my Japanese sets from Pioneer...2 sets for season two, 1 set for season one.
I *like* 3 per disc...it doesn't seem you can get away with 4 per disc at good quality unless you keep the soundtrack bits down (no DTS) and the shows are less than 50 minutes per episode.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Do the Japanese LDs offer anything (other than Japanese subtitles) that aren't on the Image LDs? (I haven't yet received the Artisan discs.)

M.

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
All I know is the full bitrate 1536 kbps dts audio makes me very happy:)
What i want to know is..
Where did Audrey learn to tie that cherry stem into a knot with her tongue? What a talent;)

Joe Vidal

Grip
I agree regarding the quality of the transfer. The commentary on disc 2 recalls how the original prints were timed to give the overall "warm look" - they even used coral filters- which gave it a soft...over saturated look when broadcast. Seeing the clarity and resolution on these discs is literally like seeing it for the 1st time.

BTW, Madchen Amick was the talented actress who could tie the cherry stems with her tongue...not Sherilyn Fenn (it's a cutaway shot)....a little TP trivia. My only complaint was the lack of a Sherilyn Fenn interview or "video postcard" but the image an the other extras more than make up for it.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I was kind of upset to get my Season One set home only to discover it had NO Disc 2!:angry: It had Disc 1 two Disc 3's and a Disc 4. Now I gotta go back to the store three days befoe Christmas, and join the mindless herd. Oh, well...for TP it's worth it.:D

John CW

Supporting Actor
Just to clarify: DTS takes a HUGE amount of space up on a disc (you really should already know this!) -- although there is a way of reducing the bitrate (ie quality) to make it smaller.
ALSO included for EACH episode is a Dolby Digital 5.1 track, a Dolby Surround track and a full-length audio commentary.
Did I mention that this is the best ANY TV show has EVER looked on DVD? (Can you say that about Stargate? Did it make you go "WOW! Now THAT'S DVD!" everytime you watched it?) It's worth the extra disc (at no extra cost I might add) to get this.
Also... each episode is 45 minutes long incase you thought it was a 25 minute show or something. :)
~ John

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Those TWIN PEAKS Japanese LDs were pretty nice... the Box was well designed and if I recall correctly, there was a booklet with synopis of Characters

and a map inside-mostly written in Kanji, of course.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
And of course, the obvious benefits that we often forget to point out about TV series on DVD's :)
No commercials! Even movie theaters have commercials!

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if this has been covered yet but my episode 1 disc starts out with the "previously on Twin Peaks" telling the viewer what happened. Since this is the 1st episode I guess that makes what happened before the pilot episode, is that not included with the set? Hope this makes sense.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Neil;

Unfortunately, the feature-length pilot episode of Twin Peaks is owned by a different company (Warner) than the rest of the series (Artisan), so it's not included in the box set.

Warner has no plans currently to release the pilot episode on DVD, but there is a Region-0 DVD (a Region-0 DVD can be played in any DVD player) available for overseas. The disc isn't as polished as those in Artisan's box set, but it's mostly passable. Right now, it's the only legit way to own the pilot episode on DVD, so I think it's worth picking up.

Hope this helps.

Happy Holidays!

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
This show looks GORGEOUS. I could NOT believe it. It looks better than my Blade Runner DVD!! In fact, it looks as good as the best movie DVDs I have seen so far (Gladiator and Planet of the Apes.)

Plus some wonderful extras.

What a great set! Give some away for Christmas! Support these guys!

You can get the Pilot DVD on EBay from Hong Kong as region free. I don't understand the legality of all this but I didn't really care when I ordered 2 :-] I don't think they are copies, I think they are legit. But I'll know it when I have them in my hands.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
And for the millionth time, cause I keep forgetting and i'm too lazy to search (although its handy to say it again), the proper Warner Pilot (the one that can be had on Region 0 DVD) is NOT available on Laserdisc? the Laserdisc Pilot is not the good one? Is the proper one on VHS?

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed lots of these in Wal Mart. WAL MART! I couldn't believe it. If the company sold as many of these to Wal Marts across the country as I saw in mine, they definately sold well, unless Wal Mart can return them.

Doesn't Wal Mart not sell music if there is anything stronger than a reference to flatulence?

I bet they don't carry the second season!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks