1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Josh Steinberg, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Josh Steinberg

Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series Blu-ray Review
    [​IMG]

Picking up twenty-five years later, David Lynch, Mark Frost and Kyle MacLachlan return to the scene of the crime in Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series. More continuation than reboot, the show once again seeks to redefine what television can be.

[review]

nara, joshEH, RMajidi and 3 others like this.
  2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

You hit on all the broad highlights of this fantastic show. And you had the restraint to write a review of it without mentioning episode 8. :)

The special features are some of the best I've ever seen and, at the risk of sounding pretentious, they already are a treasure for film fans to look at but in the future, they will have even more significance. I say it about all great behind the scenes features but imagine if there was the kind of footage that we have of Lynch but for Hitchcock or Welles or Kubrick, etc. at work.

Also, I had no clue that Bushnell Mullins was in his late 80's. Murray looks great for that age.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I've had this set for a few months now, but just haven't had the time to give it the attention it deserves. I think I'm going to wait until summer, when the broadcast shows have mostly wound down, and enjoy it just like I did last summer.

Thanks for the review, Josh! Nice to have a breakdown of what I have to look forward to.

TravisR and Josh Steinberg like this.
  4. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
    Congratulations to Home Theatre Forum for getting the right person to review this. I can't imagine that "Twin Peaks" fans were ever on the fence about the Blu-Ray box set, regardless of how much care had (or hadn't) been put into it, but Josh makes a great case to any sentient being for this being a fittingly great Blu-Ray box set for a spectacular TV series. As he astutely notes, one of the delights of watching this series when broadcast was not knowing what was to come, episode to episode (and scene to scene), which I can assure you was also the case back when when the original series ran. Miraculously, the long-hoped-for Twin Peaks revival was in no way a disappointment, and neither is this Blu-Ray box set, for all of the reasons listed in the above review (and an ineffable Lynchian Something Else, of course). Beautiful review, Josh.

5. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    Congratulations to Home Theatre Forum for getting the right person.

6. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Would it be sacrilege to admit that it wasn't my favorite episode? Absolutely brilliant, yes, and something I absolutely loved, but perhaps best when it sneaks up on you rather than a destination to plan around.

TravisR likes this.
  7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Only as long as your favorite episode was when
    Cooper said "I am the FBI." :)

I think one reason episode 8 is my favorite is because the rest of the episodes all feel like part of a whole while episode 8 is as close to a standalone as this series got. Between that and that it's a flat out amazing episode, it's easy to cite it as my favorite.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  8. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It's way up there for sure!

I can't pick just one, but the stretches of episodes 7, 8 & 9, and then 14, 15 & 16 were my favorites.

TravisR likes this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    This is as good a place as any to mention that Lynch has a new book out called "Room To Dream" - it's part biography (written by a journalist friend of his) and part autobiography (they alternate chapters). I'm only about halfway through it but it's utterly fascinating and absolutely wonderful.

Lynch doesn't explain the art, but it's wonderful to get a greater sense of Lynch, the man.

TravisR likes this.
  10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

FYI, the price for this set has dropped to $30 on Amazon. I never picked it up before, but am tempted to do so now.

11. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    It's an amazing show. I wouldn't hesitate. :)

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I already placed my order. ;) Had over $29 in Amazon credits, so even with sales tax it is only costing me a couple of bucks out of pocket. My only reason for hesitating was I recently picked up season 2 of Westworld for $15, plus we are in the process of re-watching all the seasons of Game of Thrones. So this set will probably be sitting on the shelf for a few months before we get to it.

TravisR, Josh Steinberg and dpippel like this.
  13. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I just wanna resurrect this thread to praise the soundtrack album - the one with the songs (although the score album is great too). It’s like a Guardians Awesome Mix but for the apocalypse.

TravisR likes this.