What's new

Pre-Order Twin Peaks: A Limited Event Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Josh and Travis. Looks like I might as well queue up the series as my next watch once I get done with True Detective. :)

As someone new to the show, what I think you might find interesting is how the original show is clearly revolutionary for its time, but almost conventional by today's standards. And then, when you get to the new episodes, you might notice that while they're not stylistically the same as the original series, they're as unlike anything on today as the original episodes were unlike anything on 25 years ago. To be able to pull that off twice is quite a feat in my book.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I noticed a few days before Christmas that Best Buy's inscrutable website no longer listed the Blu-Ray as "sold out online", though the in-store information was unavailable as before, so I walked up to the nearby Best Buy and asked them if I could pay for one one from them immediately and pick it up at that store. Done and done, it's been shipped (an e-mail says), Merry Christmas or more likely Happy New Year to me! Truthfully, the difficulty in getting a copy of this makes it more fun, sort of like being an enthusiastic kid again without much knowledge of how the world works, but I'd better not give the video industry any encouragement on this as long as there's still no Blu-Rays of "Local Hero" or "Comfort and Joy".

This is what I'll say. I love Season 1 and Season 2 of Twin Peaks. I absolutely loved watching The Return each week this past summer, but I don't have an affection for it, like I do the first two seasons. That's the difference for me.

The Return is an older, sadder, wiser "Twin Peaks" for older, sadder, wiser people, so its surrealism isn't as optimistic as in the original series. It sure hit the spot for me, though. Up here in Vancouver, I practically live in Twin Peaks, in almost every real-life way.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I didn't think it would be possible, but I love the new season more than the older ones.

Someone who knew nothing about Twin Peaks asked me what it was about.

My answer: "It's about everything."

I'm not sure I'm wrong.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I didn't think it would be possible, but I love the new season more than the older ones.
Someone who knew nothing about Twin Peaks asked me what it was about.
My answer: "It's about everything."
I'm not sure I'm wrong.

I'd like to believe that, but listening to David Lynch not answer questions about much of his work, often saying "It's what you think it's about", gives me an uneasy feeling. Like I'm being duped. Or it's really "The Emperor's New Clothes." Or, like, you know, "Make America Great Again."

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not bothered by Lynch's lack of a straightforward explanation. Twin Peaks is one of those things where, when I'm in the middle of watching it, I totally get it. I'm on the wavelength with it and I'm there. I can't always put that understanding into words, but it instinctively makes sense to me when I watch it.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I understand totally what you're saying, but that attitude/idea is also how people get involved in cults. LOL!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Part 8 makes a ton of sense within the context of the series. I'm usually not one to call out people for "not getting it" but any review or appraisal of that episode that describes it as being completely unknowable and baffling (which is more than a few), just wasn't paying attention.

Fans of "Lost" will get this reference - Part 8 was Twin Peaks' version of "Across the Sea".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks