Twin Peaks-A few questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've been meaning to see this series for a while, and bought the first season box on a whim the other day. I've heard a lot about the pilot being missing though, as well as talk about Fire walk with me. I still haven't got a straight answer on anything, so here are a couple of questions for the experts:

Are the Pilot and Fire Walk with me the same thing?

If not, is the pilot essential to understanding what's in the box set?

How hard is it to get the pilot-I heard something about a rerelease at one point.

How many episodes are there? The box set says 1-7, and I've had people tell me that there are 2 seasons, and some tell me that there are more than 4. Who is right?

Thanks in advance for the answers-just want to make sure that I get the most out of what I spent...

2. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Theres another post somewhere with the same EXACT questions. Take a look at posts from about 2 weeks ago.

FWWM and the pilot are not the same thing.The Pilot is a where everything begins and is the first thing you see.FWWM is a film from New Line which is a prequel- it shows us what lead up to the pilot.

This is the order you should see Twin Peaks:

Pilot

Season 1

Season 2

Fire Walk With Me

YOU MUST SEE THE PILOT FIRST.Yes it is essential.To be frank, it sucks watching Season1 without the Pilot. The Pilot, of course, sets up the series.

I dont remember a exact number but I believe there are 29 or 30 episodes-2 seasons.

FWWM should be the last thing u see,after the series.

3. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

In the PILOT, they find Laura Palmer's body and introduce all of the characters.
    Its like the first show of any series. Of course you need to see it.
    FWWM was on IFC last night. What a great movie. Pretty damn grim though. [​IMG]

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Ok, that makes more sense. Just snagged a copy of the pilot DVD from ebay a minute ago, so hopefully can just wait until that gets here to start watching the box.

I've heard bad things about this disc though-hopefully a better release will be forthcoming.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Please give us feedback on the Pilot DVD you aquired from eBay.
    thanx
    [​IMG]

7. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

One very important thing: The "Introduction to David Lynch" segment... when BoringMan(TM) comes back on to explain to you that a David Lynch film will contain violent and sexual images ("but ones that will stay with you because they're so unqiue") TURN IT OFF.

This way you'll avoid the huge spoiler Mark Rance decided to include on the disc. (Thanks.)

~ John

8. John CW

John CW Supporting Actor

BTW - There are DEFINITELY only TWO seasons. No question. No doubt.
    Pilot
    1st Season (1-7)
    2nd Season (8-29)
    then
    Fire Walk With Me.
    You can read a review of the Catalyst Logic DVD release (the one that's on eBay everywhere) here: http://www.dugpa.com
    My opinion: Better video that Laserdisc (nowhere near as nice as Artisan's AMAZING presentation though) but the new "5.1" track is a bit weird: It goes in and out of phase quite a lot.
    Still, it's cheap and you can still appreciate the pilot as it's flaws are not too annoying.
    Keep your fingers crossed for a Lynch approved Region 1 version though!!
    ~ John
    (PS - The CL DVD is Region 0 NTSC and so will play on any machine)

9. FredCampbell

FredCampbell Agent

Regarding the Hong Kong import DVD of the TWIN PEAKS Pilot: after readint this thread, I went straight to ebay and snagged a copy for myself, presumably from the same dealer everyone else is buying it from. I got the Season 1 box set for Christmas and will confess that I didn't know the pilot wasn't in that set.
    As the seller's ebay feedback reflects, I received the DVD very quickly. I think I bought it on a Thrusday, and Ir eceived it less than a week later. The price was very reasonable: under $18 including shipping.
    I think it compares favorably to the Season 1 box set. The picture is a bit grainy, but no more so than Season 1. So, what were all the bad things said about this disc? All in all, I am pleased with it.[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Stunt Coordinator

could someone please specify which seller everyone is using as I have never used e-bay before and don't really know who is good or bad? Thank you for any help you can give.

Chris

11. Brian Alan

Brian Alan Agent

I used Ladywan and had no problems at all. The DVD made it to CA from Hong Kong faster than some domestic shipments I've received.

12. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

IMHO:

Artisan should have waited until the legal issues were straightened out with the Pilot episode before releasing this set.

Without question, its affecting many people's ability to truly enjoy & understand the series if they never watched it when it was on TV.

13. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

14. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Stunt Coordinator

I would also like to know about paypal- are there any hidden charges anywhere when you use this? I see many of the auctions use this but I am kinda leary about registering a CC to any place new to me without some feedback. I just created an account but didn't log in my CC info yet.

15. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

PayPal is safe. The charges go to sellers who are accepting money. I also never use any service until I understand their business model.[​IMG]

16. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

With PayPal, the person SENDING money doesn't get charged anything. The person RECEIVING the money gets charged. I've been using PayPal for over year now and have never had problems. In fact, if you leave money in your paypal account you earn interest on it. I'm currently earning 2.12% on my money in there. Much better than most banks pay for regular checking/savings accounts.

They've been around a long time and are a serious e-commerce company. They are one of the few online companies actually growing extremely fast and earning tons of money!

17. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

---
    Are the Pilot and Fire Walk with me the same thing?
    If not, is the pilot essential to understanding what's in the box set?
    ---
    The pilot was just that, the first Twin Peaks episode ever created. It's a pilot, and is simply that. It plays sort of like a movie, and is introduction. There isn't anything I would term 'critical' in it, though its quite nice to have. Anyone into TP should try to watch it. Or hopefully Warners' will get their whatever out of their whereever and put it on dvd.
    The Series episodes 1-7 (the box set) tell you what you need to know to follow things, period. You meet the characters and the plot starts moving through the series arc. If you buy the Box Set you're not 'missing' anything that you need to understand and enjoy the first season.
    How many episodes are there? The box set says 1-7, and I've had people tell me that there are 2 seasons, and some tell me that there are more than 4. Who is right?
    First Season was 1-7, Second Season was 8-28 (I believe it was 8-28, maybe was 8-26). Then Lynch did "Fire Walk With Me" which serves as a series prequel. It covers some events prior to the pilot, shows character backstories, and enters into other rather pivotal and on-series-topic incidents. To say more probably ruins it for you, so just watch Season One and see what you think.
    When I was introduced to TP I was told the ones that counted were/are 1-7, 8, then the last four (24-28 or 22-26, whatever it is). Having watched all of second season, I agree; the bulk of second season is NOTHING like the first season. It devolves into soap opera territory something fierce and is jut manipulation of the characters in incidents and threads that really don't relate to Laura Palmer's murder. When the show was winding down though, the writers and Lynch got back into it again and they move the series back into the issue of what Season One was about; Laura's murder and events directly connected to that case. The final episode of TP is, shall we say, rather open. But very good.
    The order that was listed to watch them in I agree with; Pilot, Season 1, Season 2, FWWM. If you don’t have the pilot just watch S1 and you're fine. Well until you start itching to see the rest of the good episodes I suppose. [​IMG]

18. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The seller I used is called NAMEPINK; highly recommended. 9 days from Hong Kong with a nice disc that was, uh, wrapped in plastic. [​IMG] (inside TP joke; Laura Palmer was "wrapped in plastic")
    They seemed to have lots of them available, since I saw at least 2 dutch auctions with close to 100 copies on each auction!
    Finally, another endorsement for PayPal. I, too, was skeptical. I can't believe how easy and safe they are! Not a problem yet!

19. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I echo Dave's comments above.

I used Namepink for two copies of the pilot around Christmas time. I also signed up for Pay Pal account around the same time. Didn't have a problem with either. Couldn't recommend them enough.

20. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Just noticed that www.dvdshrine.com is saying that the pilot will be available Feb. 26th. What gives?