1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Twilight Zone videotaped episodes

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by cafink, Jun 7, 2010.

1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I think I read something to that effect before-- still, having the show in an excellent all-in-one release to enjoy at any time outweighs that immensely (JMO).

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Part of Dick York's lines when spying on Cyril Delevanti at 12 and a half minutes in. Its also missing on the old Columbia House master so it might have been damage done to the 3-track or a last minute loop.

TravisR likes this.
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    3-track?

4. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    3-Track Magnetic soundtrack. Dialogue, Music, Effects.

bmasters9 likes this.
  5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Did not know-- thanks for confirmation.

6. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

The Timeless release was essentially the same quality as aired on MeTV several years ago. I wasn't going to purchase it, but eventually did so after waiting years for the price to drop. It never did. It wasn't the best purchase I ever made, but I'm glad to have it easily accessible and with fewer edits than on the MeTV episodes. The scenes of Chicago, including the bridge by Tribune Tower in the opening credits and various neighborhoods are great.

bmasters9 likes this.
  7. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    I heard the source for alot of the 16mm prints Timeless used originated from a well known film dealer who got the prints when they cleaned out the bonded vaults in the 1980's! The bulk of what Timeless used on M-Squad, Soldiers of Fortune,Checkmate, Riverboat, State Trooper. Arrest & Trial, and a couple of the others came from this one single source!

Darby67 and bmasters9 like this.
  8. Jasper70

Jasper70 Stunt Coordinator

Harold
    Slightly off topic but about the Blu-ray set...I got the whole set for $6 at a pawn shop a few years ago. Not only was it a awesome deal but wow, the quality is impeccable. It’s the Image release. Even the videotape episodes look great.

bmasters9 and Josh Steinberg like this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That set is absolutely amazing at any price!

B-ROLL, LeoA and Jasper70 like this.
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    I think you got just as much a deal on that Twilight Zone Blu, as you did w/that Friends Blu!

Jasper70 likes this.
  11. Jasper70

Harold
    I sell movies as a business. So I’m always in pawn shops, thrift stores, flea markets, etc. Occasionally I find something for my collection. Sometimes at a great price too!

bmasters9 likes this.
  12. HubbaBubbaKid

HubbaBubbaKid Auditioning

Frankie
    @Jasper70 —do you find that the pawnshops generally price according to ebay? i go to several thrift stores in my area and they price at a flat rate no matter what it is (dvd/blu ray) but am thinking about starting to go to some pawnshops

13. Jasper70

Harold
    Sometimes they might on certain sets but rarely if ever on single DVDs. Pawn shops realize the heyday of DVD is over. Some don’t even carry them anymore.
    Depending on what shops you have in your area you’ll probably find some good deals. Most in my area sell DVDs for .50 or $1 each. Sets $3 to $5 usually.

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Ten years later.....I never realized this was missing but I'm thrilled they went the lengths to restore it.

This is the Gold Standard for classic TV releases. Star Trek deserved this treatment and never got it.

bmasters9 and moviebuff75 like this.
  15. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Here's my memory of the videotaped episodes.

As I recall from my youth, when THE TWILIGHT ZONE was airing the six videotaped episodes back in 1960-61, my Dad noticed the difference and commented on it. As an amateur 16mm movie photographer, he had a good eye for that kind of stuff, so I'd say that the original CBS broadcasts were straight from the videotape.

I don't really recall the way they looked in syndication - probably they were all on 16 or 35 mm film, and the videotaped episodes were essentially the kinescopes so as to keep all of the episodes on the same format.

I purchased all of the episodes of THE TWILIGHT ZONE from Columbia House on VHS tape in the 80s and 90s, and I for sure recall that the videotaped episodes all looked like videotape. Those VHS masterings were top-notch for their day and looked great and the six videotaped episodes looked like videotape, not film.

In the early 2000s, I bought the series again on DVD. Given the cost savings, I felt cheated by how much I spent on the Columbia House tapes, but, that's the way this hobby goes. The sets that I bought were not the "Definitive" sets - these were DVDs that were essentially in the same order as the Columbia House tapes - generally centered around a theme and in somewhat random order. The videotaped episodes on these early DVDs looked like film again. They are some kind of kinescope versions. I remember being disappointed that the old VHS tapes of these six episodes looked better than the DVD.

Later on I upgraded to the Definitive Collection on Blu-Ray - the Image sets. Here, we're back to videotape for the six episodes in question, and considering the basic low resolution, they look pretty good. They were mastered to Blu-ray about as well as they could be.

bmasters9 likes this.