1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Twilight Zone videotaped episodes

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by cafink, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Somewhat off-topic, but just yesterday I was reading a list of all the scripts Serling wrote for other anthology shows. I wonder if there would ever be any interest in compiling these into their own set? All those amazing stories he wrote for Playhouse 90, Bob Hope Presents and many, many others. I don't know how many of them still exist, but I sure would love to see them, somehow. Does anyone else agree?

Darby67 likes this.
  2. Guest

I agree. I think some of his written shows are on dvd, but not as compilations.

Darby67 likes this.
  3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

A Criterion DVD set of The Golden Age of Television which I reviewed last year has "Patterns," "Requium for a Heavyweight," and "The Comedian," all of which he won Emmys for.

Darby67 likes this.
  4. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    I wonder if the kinescope masters still exist, and what format - 35mm or 16mm?

5. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Douglas Monce

I don't think kinescope would be the masters. The video tape would be. Video tape would have been what was run in the major markets. By the 1960's, kinescopes would only have been made for very small markets that were unable to handle video tape. My guess is they would be 16mm. Shows that originated on film were still being shipped to New York as 16mm prints in the late 1960s. Mainly because a 16mm print could be made faster than a 35mm print. They had to allow for the shipping time. 35mm prints were what was shown on the west coast.

Doug

6. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Actually, most local stations still didn't have VTRs, so the kinescope backups were for TV stations that were unable to air the show "live" off the network (particularly stations that aired TV shows on different days/times than scheduled).

The reason for kinescopes was that while most local stations didn't have a VTR, they all had a 16mm projector.

7. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

They made a set of kinescope masters from the video tapes - thus those are the kinescope masters :) The TZ episodes were syndicated as kinescopes for decades.

35mm prints don't take that much more time to make than a 16mm print. It was more fesible for local stations to use 16mn due to the size of the film and the equipment and eazy to ship the film prints around.

The networks on both east and west coast used 35mm prints for their feeds to the stations

and only used 16mm as a back up in case something happened. (See Bob Justman & Herb Solow's book on the years they produced classic Star Trek for insight into this)

8. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    Were the taped episodes shown in 16mm in first run on CBS or were they shown on tape?

9. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Most likely, they were shown on tape for all stations that aired the show "live" on the network (on its normal day/timeslot). For any stations that time-shifted (such as stations who had multiple network affiliations), then it would've surely been from a kinescope, since few (if any) local stations would have been able to make their own tapes.

I wasn't alive at the time, though, so maybe some of our more senior members can tell us for sure.

moviebuff75 and bmasters9 like this.
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    And the high-water mark on that one was that you were given the choice to see it the way it really was then on NBC, or in the remastered look of today.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Tape. I think the 16mm thing was an error by Mark Scott Zicree. At the very least Night of the Meek was rerun from a videotape in the summer of 1962. Hence the noticable drop in audio quality on Rod's last line since it was cut in from an aircheck kiniscope of the original broadcast version.

moviebuff75 likes this.
  12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Nowadays, the multiple-affiliation thing of the past has had a resurgence of sorts, in the form of digital subchannels in many areas (like WLOX Channel 13 of Biloxi, MS, where 13.1 is ABC, 13.2 is CBS, and 13.3 is Bounce).

13. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I can tell you that one where the daughter finds out she's a robot was shown here in the 70s forever as a kinescope. Suddenly--out of the blue--they started airing it as a videotape. Who knows why.

14. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    I’m old enough to officially say the taped episodes aired from tape not film on CBS. And I didn’t like the look then or now.

B-ROLL, moviebuff75 and Blimpoy06 like this.
  15. Message #35 of 55 Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    In the mid-80s, Viacom remastered TZ for syndication (with one exception, the same masters eventually became what the Sci-Fi Channel aired for the better part of 20 years). The VT episodes were taken from the original quads except for Night of the Meek for some reason.

B-ROLL and moviebuff75 like this.
  16. Message #36 of 55 Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    This may just be me, but I'm 100% fine with the TZ DVD's & haven't (and won't) upgrade to Blu in this case. Sure, the PQ is rough in many places - but it's an old show. And, I am a lot more forgiving re: this type of thing with b&w shows given that color isn't an issue, etc.

bmasters9 likes this.
  17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    And it may just be me as well, but I'm fine w/Timeless' M Squad release similarly-- the original films used to make it have plenty of problems left over from the time, but the show (and Lee Marvin in it) was what I was after, and was why it has been one of the best purchases I have ever made.

18. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    The dvds were far from "definitive" in this case though.

-Rerun intro on Mr. Denton on Doomsday.
    -Wrong opening on A Passage for Trumpet (carried over to the blu-ray leading me to believe it has something to do with the 3-track)
    -several missing next episode Previews
    -lost final line of Night of the Meek
    -missing lines on A Penny For Your Thoughts

Also the Blu masters look massively better even streaming off of Netflix

B-ROLL likes this.
  19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

What was missing from Penny?

20. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Those were far from the original films. The release was a Frankenstein set, stitched together from 16mm prints, VHS dubs and whatever elements Timeless was able to get its hands on. At that time, Universal hadn't inventoried their warehouses and Timeless was doing releases based on whatever elements they could collate from collectors.

Darby67, Gary16 and bmasters9 like this.