What's new

Twilight Zone - The COMPLETE Definitive Collection (28-Disc Set)? (1 Viewer)

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
If the packaging is as bad as many have described, why does Image need to look at the forum to find that out?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I can't believe with a first-rate show like Twilight Zone, that all you guys can discuss is how poorly packaged the newest re-release is. Last year's collection is all anyone should need. If you haven't purchased the entire series yet, surely the price must have come down by now. You might even find it's cheaper to buy all Volumes 1 to 5 of the Definitive Collection than whatever you paid for the current set! :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

No, the sets retail for $519.95, and Amazon has them for $453.95. Even used on eBay runs about $300 to $350. And as fonzo posted above, Image has no plans to reduce the price of the original sets. And if their history with The Dick Van Dyke Show after that complete set came out is any indication, they won't be reducing them anytime in the forseeable future. TDVDS sets are still full-price.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I bought all 5 of last year's Twilight Zone sets individually, and paid around $400 for them combined.
For a show like this it's worth the expense. :cool:

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
FWIW, I noticed last week at the local Sam's Club that all five individual sets are still available for around $55-$58 each, IIRC. At that price, you're in the same ballpark as the complete collection without the packaging problems.

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

Not even close, paid $174 for the Complete Set with a coupon from Overstock.com and it's $194.00 at DeepDiscountDVD, free-shipping, no tax. So it's about $100 from your ballpark.

TZoneFan

Auditioning
Real Name
JR Calgin

Guess I ordered mine from the wrong place. I just wanted the damn set and save $50 bucks. Didn't even consider the packaging when I ordered it.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
It is hard to tell from the photos that fonzo posted of his set; does this new version include a copy of the Twilight Zone Companion that originally came packaged with the first season set?

TZoneFan

Auditioning
Real Name
JR Calgin

Nope. It just comes with the Discs, Insert with episode air dates and descriptions, and disintegrating packaging.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I hope that Image is indeed monitoring this thread, because unless this is somehow corrected... they've certainly lost mty sale (which I was sure of and anticipating greatly all summer)!

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce
Yeah, I did. The person I was dealing with wanted me to send my defective case to them to examine. Didn't feel like paying for postage to California, trekking to the Post Office, and then getting the same crappy packaging back. After, I told them nevermind, she offered to send me some Chuck Berry Rock n Roll 2 DVD Set.

I ended up buying five 6-8 disc cases and using Ric Eastons Custom Covers with a TZone spanning spine. Really great design. If you want me to post some pics I will.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Could you John? that would be really appreciated...

I might just follow your direction with these if Rick's covers are of nice quality. Do you think they look better than the originals and are they sturdy (are they the metalic boxes?)

I bought a nice custom set from him years back that looks really good. It might be worth it to save on the season sets. I could pick up the shoddy Complete package from Imag and than put the rest of the extra cash towards Rick's package...

It still feels silly that one has to find alternative housing for a set like this, when spending so much money. I wish Image would respond to us directly here because clearly this is a universal issue.

And if dozens of DVD collectors on various forums (including DVDTalk, etc) are reporting the exact same issues with this cheapo box, than Image shouldn't need anyone to mail them anything. Just go down to a store or better yet, check your warehouse and open up any number of packages to see for yourself! This really should've been done BEFORE manufacturing and distributing them to retailers nationwide. Cheap packaging is cheap packaging. But when it falls apart the same day as purchased... that's a significant quality control defect issue that needs to be addressed. And should really be corrected.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

LOL I can't believe you people are bitching and moaning about this??? feel sorry for the poor souls who paid out the ass for the original release, and the 2 follow up rips! Image owes you nothing. really!

honestjohn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce

Hey Marco. Here is a quick and dirty screen shot of all 5 covers, they have a 1" spine and fit the cases in the link below. If you want them let me and I'll point you to Ric's site where you can download them. He hasn't put them on the main download page yet, you can only get them from a forum thread. Trust me, they look much better than my small screen caps and it doesn't do them justice. Ric Easton really did a fantastic job with these. Oh, the spine shot was also a quick and dirty one, the real covers align perfectly and all are high resolution.

PS - Ignore Chas, his troll medication is beginning to wear off again.

Cases (need 1 " spine)
http://www.genesysdtp.com/6dvddetails.htm

Covers
[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/8/83/htf_imgcache_2585.jpeg] [/url]

Spanning-Spine
[url=http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/382/tzoneme2.jpg] [/url]

Download Here ..... http://www.rixgrafix.com/TZ-Def_Ed_S1-5.zip

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I just finished watching Season 5 and the Serling doc in that set. I started with these discs in Dec. 2004 when the Definitive Season 1 came out. I must say, it was a hell of a ride. Lots of highs and lows, but I still think this is perhaps the very best written series in 50 years of television. So much of what has followed comes from the Twilight Zone.

BTW, if you haven't yet seen Submitted For Your Approval (the American Masters documentary on Rod Serling), you should. It's a great program about Serling and the way the TV industry worked in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
honestjohn:

I think Ric does a fantastic job with all his covers. Using his covers is the way I want to go myself. The only issue that I have is getting them printed out. What did you end up using to print out your covers?

Did you end up buying 3 6 discs and 2 5 disc cases for them?

Parker

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I think Image should release a bonus, stand along disc with "The Time Element" and alternate versions of "Night of the Meek" (to include the closing narration line "...and a Merry Christmas to One and All" and "Cavender is Coming" with its laugh track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks