Twilight Zone sets, Which is better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Blu, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I'm interested in purchasing a TZ set but am curious which is better, the one with all shows in chronological order or the one being put out in vol. sets?
    Are there any differences in the quality of the transfer or sets?

2. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I am not a 100% sure but I thought I remember reading that the transfers were about the same. I am purchasing the volume sets myself. I only received volume 1 to date and like the looks of the packaging. Have not had a chance to watch any of the discs, so I can't comment on my own impressions of the transfers.

I should add you can get volumes 2-4 for about $56 each shipped at FYE.com if you use their 15% off coupon. Use code AMEXFYE15 which expires 12/31/02. For some reason they priced volumes 1 and 5 higher than the other sets. But you can get those from Amazon.ca almost as cheap using $10 off coupons.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Isn't the one that is chronological just burned onto DVD-Rs though? Same transfers just with the episodes in order?

Personally, I don't think order matters with this show, it's not like it carries on one storyline.

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Rob, you are correct. Isn't it "Another Universe" doing it? You might want to talk with people who purchased the other DVD show they did, My SO Called Life. If I remember correctly (you could run a search) there were many billing/shipping problems encountered.

5. MikeSilver

MikeSilver Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend that you DO NOT order anything from Another Universe right now as their phones have been disconnected, their voicemail is ignored and their website's shopping cart no longer works. You might also want to check out: http://www.mscl.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10 for further information on their My So Called Life DVD set fiasco.

6. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

From what I read it sounds like the Gold Collection is in chronological order and on DVD-R format. You could have compatibility problems with your DVD player. I found some links with information on the Gold Collection set, a discussion on the set, prices, and a list of players that will or will not play these DVD-R discs.
    http://www.anotheruniverse.com/tzdvd/
    http://www.mediaracer.com/index.php?...m&item_id=2150
    http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=2
    http://www.mediaracer.com/index.php?sub=players

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Check out the Show News area for TZ at TVShowsOnDVD.com for news articles about the various set releases.
    All of the above statements are true, to the best of my knowledge. Furthermore, the Image-produced sets are cheaper to purchase.
    I got Image's Collection 1 and Collection 2 for my wife for Christmas, and these are just great. I paid $61.51 each for them at Best Buy when using a sale coupon. If I can manage to continue on this trend (and Costco's prices will help, too), then I'll pay just over $300 instead of the $400 for the in-airdate-order set. Image Sets 3 & 4 ship in a week and a half (1/7), and the last one (Set 5) ships on 2/25.

8. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I wish Eye of the Beholder and the first episode were available in their broadcast versions without the original airdate subtitle over the image.

9. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I priced out all 5 sets (Preorder sets 3-5 at the same time) at FYE.com with the coupon in the above post. It came to about 289.00 shipped.
    Not a bad deal huh?

10. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

11. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

David,
    I never thought I would ever have the scoop on you, particularly on a TV related story. [​IMG] From Another Universe:

12. David Lambert

Rob, that may be true. I've sort of been taking a semi-break from TVShowsOnDVD, and so maybe I missed this info.

However, if AU's phones don't work, and their shopping cart doesn't work (and this thread isn't the first place I've heard that), then ordering from them isn't possible anyway. Certainly not in my case, anyway, since I was one of the victims of the MSCL box set double-charging situation, and had to work hard and make some heavy-handed threats to get my overcharge back (including threatening to call "60 Minutes"). After that, getting a refund for the legitimate charge seemed to be a piece of cake, but then I think Ross (the dude in charge) recalled my earlier tenacity. I contacted him personally, and he handled it personally.

As for charging for the Gold collection via MediaRacer, sure...go for it. I'm still saving about a hundred bucks to get the Image sets, though. And spreading it out over several months helps me quite a bit.

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

If those are not DVD-R, I am interested in the Gold Collection. I would like the extras and the additional two episodes IF they are actual documentaries. Is Another Universe the only place to order this?

14. David Lambert

Dave H: There are no "additional two episodes" on the Gold Collection...every episode of TZ is included in the Image sets.

As for the extras, there has been NOTHING to indicate that they are different from the supplements on the Image sets. Not even AU or MediaRacer is claiming that, at least that I've seen. If I'm wrong, someone please point me to the information.

All MediaRacer ever claimed to do was take the existing Image sets and re-arrange them into in-airdate-order (which is why they were gonna be DVD-R's). Logically, it follows that the supplements are the same, too.

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

In that case, maybe I will just go with the Image. I don't really care about the chronological order, especially if it saves me $100.00.

According to Another Universe:

"This set also includes two episodes NOT included in the original numbered volumes available from Image Entertainment. "The Eye of the Beholder" (episode 42) and "An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge" (episode 142)."

So, this is not true, Dave? Thanks.

16. David Lambert

This is actually true, but trickily worded (and highly misleading).
    "This set also includes two episodes NOT included in the original numbered volumes available from Image Entertainment. " Those two episodes were on the individual Image releases Treastures of the Twilight Zone and More Treasures of the Twilight Zone.
    Hence the parts about "NOT included in the original numbered volumes..."; the TotTZ and MTotTZ Image releases are not "numbered".
    However, both TotTZ and MTotTZ are included in Image's Twilight Zone Collection 5, due February 25th. So "Beholder" and "Owl Creek" will both be part of the Image collected sets! In fact, there will be 2 versions of "Beholder" on that set!!
    Go look up the details on Collection 5 at TVShowsOnDVD.com if you like. Trust me, noone who buys the Image sets will miss a single episode of the original TZ!!!

17. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Sounds great.

What is also nice about the Image is that I don't have to throw down all the money to buy them all right now.

So, is FYE and the coupon (if still available) the best deal for the Image? Anyone know of anything else?

18. Rob Gardiner

19. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    While the idea of having the entire series in chronological order is appealing, I'm not about to replace the 45 Twilight Zone DVDs I already have, especially if the transfers are identical. I wonder if the Gold Collection will include the easter eggs that accompany the Image volumes (isolated music scores, etc.)? I'm kinda thinking not.

20. Rob Gardiner

Found it!
    From MediaRacer.com: