What's new

Twilight Zone Definitive Edition (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Of course there's a bit of dialogue distortion here and there. The dialogue was recorded 45 years ago, on 45 year-old equipment, and meant to be heard on 45 year-old TV speakers. You'll find the same thing in most films of this vintage, regardless of how much restoration is done (hell, look at the monumental amount of restoration done to the original Star Wars, and there's STILL distortion in some of the dialogue). Image didn't do any audio restoration that I'm aware of.... they just accessed the original magnetic audio tracks. All things considered, I think these DVDs sound GREAT... way better than any previous home video (or televised) incarnation of the series.

John>Wheaton

Auditioning
I suppose the distortion could be chalked up to the age of the original recordings, but it only seems to happen with dialogue and not sound fx. And also sounds awfully like digital clipping caused by recording the dialogue track at too hot of a level when creating the new master track for the DVD. I have these episodes on laserdisc also, maybe I'll check to see if the distortion is present there as well.

Other than that I'm loving this set as well as the 80's Twilight Zone version. Love the chills that still go up my spine as I watch the best episodes.

Stephen Pickard

Auditioning
The last few posts I feel need reponding to. First of all, the distortion you hear is not a result of anything introduced in the digital domain. The distortion is clearly evident in the analog master. In this case, "Mirror Image", the original 35mm fullcoat 3-track master was utilised. Despite the fact that these masters are 45 years old, I don't feel that age is responsible. Analog noise was always a battle with recordists and mixers. In 1960 noise reduction was still years away. To help improve the signal to noise ratio, mixers usually had a good understanding of how far they could go with regard to how much level they could lay down before introducing distortion. In this case it is unknown exactly where the distortion was introduced. I think the mixers were aware of the distortion as they knew that only an optical track would be heard through television speakers where the distortion would not be clearly audible. The mixers couldn't possibly anticipate that these masters would eventually be used in such a way, or even survive the 45 years.

These masters have been reproduced as accurately as possible without any further equalization, filtering and noise gating etc., as most studios do, to minimize the noise level. As a result any artifacts that might be present will be heard more clearly.

John>Wheaton

Auditioning
I in no way meant to denigrate the tremendous work put into the remastering of these old episodes. If the distortion is indeed present on the original recordings I'm sure they sound as good as we are going to get.

It's just curious since I checked my laserdisc of Mirror Image and although the dialogue sounds a bit overdriven when characters raise their voices there is absolutely none of that distinct crackling effect that the DVD's possess. Oh well, perhaps the DVD's derive their audio tracks from a different source than the laserdisc.

But otherwise I think Image has done a great job with these sets and I look forward to future season releases.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine who is a professional audio engineer would like to elaborate further on my comments:

Quote by Stephen Pickard:

Analog noise was always a battle with recordists and mixers. In 1960 noise reduction was still years away. To help improve the signal to noise ratio, mixers usually had a good understanding of how far they could go with regard to how much level they could lay down before introducing distortion.

"While it is true that (distortion) was a sometimes an inevitable consequence of trying to record dialogue well above the noise floor of oxide tape or magnetic film, it wasn’t until the late 60’s that machine manufactures realized that there was an inherent subtle limiting effect in tape over saturation. The distortion does not come from over saturation of the magnetic medium, but from the actual clipping of the electronics which had the limiting factor of the power rails. Once you over exceeded the ability of the electronics to amplify, it would cut off the top peaks of the waveform thus producing waveform distortion even at seemingly low audio levels. These squared off peaks become very edgy sounding and when transferred to the digital domain, sometimes sound even harsher."

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I also noticed how on the episodes that had the Season Two opening cut into the negative at one point, have end credits that say "Titles and Opticals by Pacific Title" and no "Animated Title by UPA." They must have been redone at the same time.

I can't say enough good things about this set, though. Bravo! to everyone who worked so hard on it.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
ARRRGHHH!!!!!

I just realized last night (of course I've thrown away my Sam's Club receipt) that my set is messed up!

My set includes: discs 1, 2, two 4's, 5, and 6 (no disc 3). So now it's a trip back up to Sam's tomorrow to try and BEG for an exchange!

Any advice, anyone?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I'm looking forward to receiving the first season of my all-time favorite TV series!

I first saw it in the summer of 1981 on WPIX Channel 11 from New York on my grandparent's TV.

At home in the 1980s my PBS station had only the half-hour episodes, and although they only aired the first 3 years they were uncut and also featured many with Rod Serling announcing next week's show and guest stars at the end of each episode. It was then on a Philadelphia station that has since gone out of business where I got to see more Twilight Zones. Around 1985 I rented Treasures of the Twilight Zone, which included then unsyndicated episodes "The Encounter" and the French film re-edited into a Twilight Zone "An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge".

By January 1995, the Sci-Fi Channel acquired exclusive rerun rights. My cable system didn't get that channel until July 1996, but by then I had viewed the entire series a few times.

I purposely waited years through several DVD releases until now, because I knew that someday it would be out by season. The only Twilight Zone I ever bought was on VHS tape in the early 90s. It was the volume with "The Odyssey of Flight 33" and one of the all-time greats "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", and even they were from different seasons.

Actually I wanted to get The Twilight Zone Gold Collection, which had the entire series in original broadcast order on 49 DVDs (5 of which contained bonus features) and sold in the $400 range, but unfortunately by the time I had the money for it, that limited edition was no longer available.

Not wanting to pay retail or even close to that at some stores around here, I just ordered the Definitive Collection from Deep Discount DVD for $79. I noticed they will have the Definitive 2nd season set coming out in late March for $73. What I was wondering is, will the 6 episodes originally shot on videotape that year be copied from the original tape masters? In syndication we've seen both tape and film transfers over the years. Sci-Fi Channel has taped versions of 5 of the 6, but I recall they aired a filmed copy of "The Night of the Meek". Yet the taped version of that appeared in reruns in the 1980s when I first saw it.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'd be shocked if we got anything less than direct-from-videotape transfers of those six episodes. Given the extremely high quality of these sets, taking the cheap route and offering us the lesser-quality film dupes just doesn't seem very likely.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
If there is one quibble I have with this set it's that there is no way to slap a gag on Zircee during his interviews because hearing him go "Mmmmhmmm" about eight million times while the person he's interviewing is talking is like fingernails on the blackboard after awhile.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, gang - has anybody noticed a music change?

While browsing through the discs noting which had trailers, which had what openings, I got a shock when I got to a personal favorite, "The Lonely."

On this Definitive Edition, it carries one of the alternate opening themes by Bernard Herrmann, instead of the usual Herrmann first-season theme (as I first heard on one of the Varese Sarabande LP releases of soundtrack music).

I've never heard this music used before as an integral part of the episode - always the usual 1st season theme, even as a repeat. (I've just checked my 16mm print, derived from the 16 September 1960 network run - and it uses the 1st season theme.)

I wonder if perhaps the initial network run (13 November 1959) did use this alternate music? - for the join to the main soundtrack is seamless to my ears.

==

As for tape transfers, I'll be wondering what they'll have for us in a couple cases. I mentioned on another thread that the video masters may have been too far gone to provide uncut copies of the shows. "Night Of The Meek" is notable in that every direct-video transfer I've seen omits the last line of Serling's closing narration. That copy seems to have been from the 17 August 1962 repeat, where "...a Merry Christmas to each and all" would have been slightly out of place. The soundtrack fades with his "in short, there's nothing mightier than the meek." The kinescope copies are complete.

I still remember my delight in seeing even edited direct-tape transfers; when I worked with the Serling Archives, I was afraid only the kinescopes had survived. But to date I haven't yet seen all six tape shows in uncut direct transfers. Like you, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It doesn't matter to me which Bernard Herrmann opening theme is used for "The Lonely". But if I were to guess, I'd say the September 1960 repeat showing featured the newer, shorter one (with the blinking eye) because it had been used for the last few shows of the first season and it gave CBS more commercial time.
"The Night of the Meek" -- I have a feeling that we'll see the same videotaped version of the Art Carney Christmas story that has been sold on VHS since the mid 1980s: Uncut, with the noticeable (but tolerable) tape dropouts intact. :)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Dave, this version was Herrmann's opening theme was recorded especially for "The Lonely" (note that the instrumentation matches the score). I knew of its existence, but had never heard it until now. The fact that it's on the DVD at all suggests that it was originally broadcast, then changed for the repeat. Its inclusion on the DVD absolutely made my day. :)

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Craig -

Your suggestion has merit; I thought it was possible. But, I did some digging this afternoon, pulled out my archive notes and then searched for an audio cassette I'd made from the soundtrack of the CBS Reference Print on file. The paperwork indicated the print was from the first run of the show, and though I dropped the commercials in copying, I did retain the audio for the teaser, which was what it was supposed to be, "Time Enough At Last," confirming first-run.

The title music was the standard 1st season theme.

I was pretty sure I'd never heard that alternate theme until a few years later from the LP - but this was a rare instance when I was able to check solid evidence (without trying to pull favors from strangers).

(Quick aside for those who don't know - a reference print is - in this case - a 16mm version of exactly what aired during the half hour, from opening titles, through bumpers, commercials, PSAs, other show promos.... for legal, commercial, casting,and other reasons.)

It is possible, as this was the first episode produced after the pilot, that a preview print might have used this proposed theme, and that was the source for this release. However, only the good people at Image know at this point. I'm curious - but no mistake, I'm delighted, too.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
If there is one quibble I have with this set it's that there is no way to slap a gag on Zircee during his interviews because hearing him go "Mmmmhmmm" about eight million times while the person he's interviewing is talking is like fingernails on the blackboard after awhile.
This has been driving my wife absolutely bonkers!

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Good sir, you dodged a bullet. My friend had purchased the Gold Collection, we did an A-B with the original Image discs - it was no contest.
Compression artifacts galore, muted audio saturated with hiss, and print quality that suggests Image gave V3 Media tertiary source material - all this before one even gets to the DVD-R controversy (the Gold Collection he was sent were DVD-R's, why was that a problem?, well, one of his players could read them, the other two couldn't).
Needless to say, he returned it the very next day and ultimately opted for the non-original broadcast order but far superior A/V quality/non-DVD-R Image boxsets.
EDIT : As if all that wasn't bad enough, the nut on top of the fecal cake was that the packaging was shoddy as all get out. I kid you not - each and every case had some form of damage, cracks in the plastic, broken spindles, et al.
The Gold Collection is a hack job from head to toe - compliments of V3 Media.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Wow, it's a good thing I made my post as long as I did, because if I didn't mention The TZ Gold Collection I never would have found out what a ripoff it really was!
Thanks for the info, Reese! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks