What's new

Twilight Zone Definitive Edition (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This just arrived from DVDSOON. All I can say is WOW!!

I can't wait to get home so I can play these!

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
You're lucky, Russell. I'm still waiting for DVDSoon to ship my TZ sets (and about a dozen or so other titles that have been "in packaging" for weeks.... Got great prices, though!

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
I guess I'll have to be the one to cast a little shadow on the overall applause this set's receiving. Nonetheless, to start I must say I've been very impressed with the extras in particular. As an owner of the ORIGINAL Laserdisc "definitive Editions," I newer thought any of those supps would see the light of day again. Bravo Image!

However, I must take Image to task on the video transfer. While, the clarity, detail, etc. have been improved, the prints are nonetheless WAY TOO DARK!

I'm surprised no one has commented on this before. For your information, my monitor is calibrated properly. As support for my argument,check out DVD Beaver's comparison with the previous CBS Video/Panasonic versions. Outside daylight shots look like a full eclipse for christ's sake! Faces shot in shadow practically, disappear. It's a real shame!

Whereas the Def. Ed. transfers are superior in virtually all respects, just compare the brightness levels with the older versions - ridiculuous. The older transfers may actually have been boosted in brightness, but all for the better if you ask me!

I can assure you if such images were broadcast this way back forty odd years ago, CBS would have had a mass of complaints and deservedly so.

I have to admit I've noticed this "problem" with various TV and film releases of late and have observed this "phenomenom" on other monitors as well. I know I'm not imagining this.

Anyone care to respond? I can't wait to hear what others have to say.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
This isn't intended to be as sarcastic as it's going to sound but...

why don't you just boost the brightness and then bring it back down to your normal setting when you're not watching those discs if it's much of a problem for you?

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
A similar complaint arose with the release of the original Star Wars trilogy back in September.... turns out all previous video incarnations of the films had the brightness boosted, which made the new DVDs (while sharp as a tack and lovely to behold) appear somewhat dark. I certainly noticed that the new TZ DVDs look a bit dark. However, if not boosting the brightness means that what I'm seeing is closer to the original artistic intent... then I don't have a problem with it. These DVDs are absolutely glorious.

"I have to admit I've noticed this "problem" with various TV and film releases of late and have observed this "phenomenom" on other monitors as well. I know I'm not imagining this."

Um.... hey, here's a thought: there's no "problem." You just like things brighter than normal. Fortunately, it's an easy adjustment to make on your display.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Many DVD players have different settings of video levels that can either boost the brightness, or decrease it. My set of TZ looks superb...I too had the older Image set, and while it looked somewhat brighter, that brightness actually increased the number of artifacts present to the naked eye. I'm sure the reason for the darker image is to reduce the visual artifacts. Anyway, when I boost the brightness level on this set, it looks perfect. However, if I reduce the brightness on the old set, you can still see the artifacts. Image knew what they were doing.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Hallelujah, Carlos! There aren't enough nice things that can be said about this set (and, presumably, the other four sets to come)... for us Twilight Zone fanatics, this is a dream come true.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I haven't had a chance to actually sit down and watch any episodes, but I did skim some to see the quality and they look great to me, not too dark or brite, just atmospheric.

If I was going to complain, and I'm not, but IF I was gonna nit pick something about this set, it would be that it shows pictures for the chapter stops when you select an episode to view. There was the odd one where the 3rd chapter picture was a spoiler to the twist ending.

Very minor complaint, not really a complaint in my opinion, but I would of thought it would of come up before the brightness was discussed. I feel dirty just mentioning it.

Awesome set, and worth the wait for me. None oif the usual stores in my area stocked this set (!), so I had to wait till yesterday to get me greedy hands on it! I'm pre-ordering season 2!

John>Wheaton

Auditioning
Anyone else notice some audio distortion/clipping on the dialouge in many episodes? I don't know if its my receiver doing this but in two different players I noticed this, particularly in the episodes Perchance to Dream and Mirror Image.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
Is there any news or does anybody have any ideas about the artwork for season 3, 4 and 5 due out later this year?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard anything about the next sets other than that Season Two is coming on March 29. Season Three on June 28. Season Four on October 18. And Season Five on December 27.

All those dates came from a story on TV Shows On DVD a few months ago.

From the sound of things, it seems like the Season One set sold pretty well so I'm sure the extras for the other sets will be about the same as the first set.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The artwork will probably be similar to the first set, with the picture on the front featuring elements from that season's opening credits.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I figure we'll probably get the spinning spiral for season three, the floating door for season four, and maybe the floating eyeball for season five.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Notes:
Craig Beam - I cannot believe this present incarnation was or is the "artistic intent" of the filmmakers In any case, who would be the final arbiter of what's artistically proper? Most if not all of them are dead.
Carlos Garcia - Are you trying to tell me that you think Image deliberately darkened the image to cover up artifacts? That's like the older practice used, particularly on LDs of softening the image to obscure chroma noise and other problems, sabotaging one of the core advantages to that format. I would prefer to have a brighter image and see everything, including any defects thank you.
Don't take this personally guys. Again, I say that in all other respects Image did a super job, but for $120.00 retail they should expect negative feedback some times.
I must say I've been hearing way too many apologists out there for some time and not just for this release.
Lastly, concerning the problem with boosting brightness, we should be talking black and white levels. Boosting the brightness or black level will just give you lighter blacks or greys in essence. One might have a bit more luck with the white level or contrast. I've fiddled with both and whereas there is a little improvement, the real culprit is the actual transfer and final image we have to work with. you can't bring out detail in shadows and what not that isn't there to begin with. A boosted overall "brighter" picture on Image's end would have probably eliminated this issue to start.
I fear the same is to happen with succeeding seasons. Oh well...:frowning:

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Are you trying to tell me that you think Image deliberately darkened the image to cover up artifacts? That's like the older practice used, particularly on LDs of softening the image to obscure chroma noise and other problems, sabotaging one of the core advantages to that format. I would prefer to have a brighter image and see everything, including any defects thank you.
No, I'm saying there must be a problem with your set because the picture looks awesome on my set (which has also been properly calibrated). I don't see the picture dark like you do, however, on the original Image release, the picture looks so bright that it actually distorts. These prints have been remastered because they plan to eventually re-release them in the HD-DVD format (Whoopee, just what we need, more sharpness so we can see every single dirt and scratch on the original source...and cropped to 16:9 proportions as well?) Sorry guys, but I won't be quadruple dipping on the TZ sets, this definitive edition is my final version, and I love it. On my set it looks perfect for its age. To me even if the picture quality was bad (which it's far from it), those classic Rod Serling seminars alone are worth the $120 price tag...This IS the DEFINITIVE TZ set, and I only hope the next 4 seasons are as great as season 1 was.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
"Lastly, concerning the problem with boosting brightness, we should be talking black and white levels. Boosting the brightness or black level will just give you lighter blacks or greys in essence. One might have a bit more luck with the white level or contrast. I've fiddled with both and whereas there is a little improvement, the real culprit is the actual transfer and final image we have to work with. you can't bring out detail in shadows and what not that isn't there to begin with. A boosted overall "brighter" picture on Image's end would have probably eliminated this issue to start."

Hmmmm. Maybe you got a defective set, because I'm seeing TONS of fine detail on these DVDs. As a longtime obsessive TZ fan, I was almost moved to tears by the beauty and clarity I was seeing.... and no brightness boosting was necessay.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
This set looks great on my set as well. Silky smooth greys, bright (but not blown out) whites, and jet blacks. The contrast is fine, and not too dark at all.

John>Wheaton

Auditioning
(bump)

Anyone else notice some audio distortion/clipping on the dialouge in many episodes? I don't know if its my receiver doing this but in two different players I noticed the problem, particularly in the episodes Perchance to Dream and Mirror Image.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks