What's new

Twilight Zone Definitive Edition (1 Viewer)

Videowack

Agent
Picked this box up this past week, and it's awesome. I have watched the first 3 discs and am quite impressed. I cannot, however, find a way to "play all" and NOT have to return to the main menu to proceed to the next episode. If anyone else has discovered a way, please advise. I have a feeling there's no option for it. A small annoyance I admit, but considering the price tag I think they could have included it.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Nope, no Play All. That's my only problem with this set. It's rather curious because Image remembered to add this feature to the first season of the '85 series that was released on the same day. We've got an existing thread on the TZ DVD's started (although the title could use some updating):
Here

SteveLa

Stunt Coordinator
What's the best price on this set? I was dismayed to find that it wasn't discounted more heavily at Best Buy, since I received a few gift gards for Christmas.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Go here. If you are a first time buyer you can also get a further 10% discount and free (budget) shipping. They charge sales tax, but it should still be under $70. At the top of that page you'll see the details for the extra discount.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Apparently many people are getting the set dirt cheap from Coconuts.com. I paid $103.99 at Best Buy without batting an eye. For a diehard Twilight Zone like me, this set is the ultimate presentation of the series. The "definitive" tag is richly deserved. Hell, it's worth way more than I paid.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I paid $83 at Amazon without batting an eye as well. Already had it shipping and didn't want to bother with returns when I found out about the Coconuts deal. Future sets will be cheaper though this one is well worth the money.

The audio lectures by Serling over certain episodes are as good an audio commentary as you can get from a man who passed away in the '70s. Excellent stuff to listen to.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Hell, it's worth way more than I paid.
Shhhhhhhh.....They might be listening. I ordered from Coconuts as well. You would think other retailers would try to match that. I can't wait for it to get here. I deliberately avoided watching the Marathon on Sci-Fi just so every episode in the set would be fresh to me.

Zack_H

Grip
I agree. This is a fantastic set and i'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming sets (as expensive as they are). The book included in season 1 is a wonderful addition.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Speaking of the marathon, I caught a tiny bit of "The Lonely," and was amazed at the picture quality. Made me wonder if they were airing the same amazing transfers found on the DVDs...

Tom.W

Second Unit
You might be right, Craig. I caught a promo for the DVD set during the marathon and thought the video was better than prior airings of TZ on Sci Fi. But that channel is among the weaker transmissions on my cable system. Serling's next week promos were on some of the prime time episodes, but those have included in prior years.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I haven't actually seen this set yet.

What's the packaging like? (And, also, what kind of packaging is the 80s series in?)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I was thinking the same thing about the transfers for this year's marathon. Possibly the new transfers? I knew that they were giving a DVD sneak preview though I never caught exactly what that was.

Another comment to make about the DVDs: As much as I love Zicree for including his personal interviews with TZ cast and crew that he used to help him write The Companion, I can't listen to them for long without becoming too annoyed by his constant "mhmms" and snickers throughout the interviews. It gets to the point where I lose track of what the interviewee is trying to say. But again, these were never meant to be heard by others and are a great special feature that he never owed to anyone to share.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I love Zicree for including his personal interviews with TZ cast and crew that he used to help him write The Companion, I can't listen to them for long without becoming too annoyed by his constant "mhmms" and snickers throughout the interviews.
With all due respects to Mr. Zicree, I really wish someone else would do a similar Twilight Zone Companion. I mean, am I the only one here who thinks Mr. Zicree is a bit hard on alot of episodes that many people consider classics? Maybe he should've stuck more to the opinions of those who actually worked on the episodes, since they were there during the making and final screening of them. I guess everyone's entitled to their opinons, but I just feel alot of Mr. Zicree's criticism of the good episodes is unjustified.

Videowack

Agent
Another comment to make about the DVDs: As much as I love Zicree for including his personal interviews with TZ cast and crew that he used to help him write The Companion, I can't listen to them for long without becoming too annoyed by his constant "mhmms" and snickers throughout the interviews. It gets to the point where I lose track of what the interviewee is trying to say. But again, these were never meant to be heard by others and are a great special feature that he never owed to anyone to share.
I couldn't agree more. After listening to 2 minutes of his Anne Francis interview I had to shut it off. I guess his skills are in writing, not in oral communication.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I agree that a new book would be better because Zircee too often gives short shrift to good episodes because he doesn't like them personally. And I find his anger over the negative depictions of communist leaders like Khruschev ("The Whole Truth") and Castro ("The Mirror") to be the most annoying aspect of the entire book (fortunately his liner notes for the earlier DVDs were more balanced and objective than the book).

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
And I find his anger over the negative depictions of communist leaders like Khruschev ("The Whole Truth") and Castro ("The Mirror") to be the most annoying aspect of the entire book
I never knew they were supposed to be positive role models LOL! Anyway, while the overall content of the Twilight Zone Companion is positive, I still think it's about time we fans got another companion with less author opinions and more show collaborator input. But I'm still very happy we got the 2nd edition companion bundled with the season 1 set. Nice extra :)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Well, in the episode descriptions he says that Serling was a victim of "Cold War prejudice" for making Khrushchev an object of ridicule in "The Whole Truth", and in "The Mirror" he claims that Castro was done a "disservice." I'm still trying to figure out after 20 years just what that's supposed to mean.

ScottyKid

Auditioning
Awesome DVD set.

One question though......is there anyway to save the Radio Dramas onto your harddrive?

I know you can do that with the Twilight Zone Comic Book included on disk 6.

These would be cool to burn onto a CD and listen to on the way to work.

Thanks....

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I doubt it, Scotty. The comic book is a DVD-ROM feature while the radio dramas are not. This is (I'm sure) largely due to the fact that these are available separately on CD:
1591711002.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ScottyKid

Auditioning
Thanks Dane. Wow, I didn't know these were out there. Does anyone have these?

Are they worth a purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks