What's new

Twilight Zone Definitive Edition Season 3 specs! (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

DISC 1

01.Two
Isolated score by Van Cleave

02.The Arrival
(none)

03.The Shelter
(none)

04.The Passerby
Isolated score by Fred Steiner
Twilight Zone radio drama starring Morgan Brittany

05.A Game of Pool
Audio commentary by Jonathan Winters
Marc Zicree interview with Buzz Kulik and Buck Houghton
Jonathan Winters Reads the Alternate Ending from the Original Script
Clip from the 1989 remake with George Clayton Johnson’s original ending

06.The Mirror
(none)

07.The Grave
Isolated score (stock)

08.It’s a Good Life
Audio commentary by Bill Mumy
Isolated score (stock)
Clip from the 2003 sequel “It’s Still a Good Life” with Bill Mumy commentary

DISC 2

09.Deaths-Head Revisited
Marc Zicree interview with Buck Houghton
Isolated score (stock)
Twilight Zone radio drama starring H.M. Wynant

10.The Midnight Sun
Audio commentary by Lois Nettleton

11.Still Valley
Isolated score by Wilbur Hatch
Twilight Zone radio drama starring Adam West

12.The Jungle
(none)

13.Once Upon a Time
Isolated score by William Lava (performed by Ray Turner)

14.Five Characters in Search of an Exit
Audio commentary by William Windom
Isolated score (stock)
Marc Zicree interview with Lamont Johnson

15.A Quality of Mercy
Audio commentary by Leonard Nimoy
Isolated score (stock)

16.Nothing in the Dark
Marc Zicree interview with Lamont Johnson and George Clayton Johnson
Isolated score (stock)

DISC 3

17.One More Pallbearer
Twilight Zone radio drama starring Chelcie Ross

18.Dead Man’s Shoes
Isolated score (stock)
Clip from 1985 remake “Dead Woman’s Shoes”

19.The Hunt
Isolated score by Robert Drasnin
Marc Zicree interview with Earl Hamner

20.Showdown with Rance McGrew
Audio commentary by Robert Cornthwaite
Isolated score (stock)

21.Kick the Can
Isolated score (stock)

22.A Piano in the House
Marc Zicree interview with Buck Houghton and Earl Hamner
Isolated score (stock)

23.The Last Rites of Jeff Myrtlebank
Isolated score by Tommy Morgan

24.To Serve Man
Marc Zicree interview with Richard L. Bare

DISC 4

25.The Fugitive
Isolated score (stock)

26.Little Girl Lost
Isolated score by Bernard Herrmann

27.Person or Persons Unknown
Isolated score (stock)

28.The Little People
Isolated score (stock)

29.Four O’Clock
Isolated score (stock)
Twilight Zone radio drama starring Stan Freberg

30.Hocus-Pocus and Frisby
Isolated score by Tom Morgan

31.The Trade-Ins
Isolated score (stock)

32.The Gift
Isolated score by Laurindo Almeida

DISC 5

33.The Dummy
Audio commentary by Cliff Robertson
Isolated score (stock)
Twilight Zone radio drama starring Bruno Kirby

34.Young Man’s Fancy
Isolated score by Nathan Scott

35.I Sing the Body Electric

36.Cavender Is Coming
Isolated score (stock)
A clip from “The Garry Moore Show”

37.The Changing of the Guard
Isolated score (stock)

Additional bonus material:

The Famous Writers School promo
SciFi Channel Marathon spots
Night Gallery promo spots
Season 3 billboards
Season 3 photo gallery
The Twilight Zone comic book (DVD-ROM)

...how do I know, you ask? A well-known membership-only warehouse store in Wilsonville (Oregon) had 'em, along with the previous two seasons, for the low low price of $58.99 each. Looks like I got my wedding present a day early (not to mention four days before the street date!). :D

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I was just at ** NAME OF STORE REMOVED BY OWNER and bought the 3rd season for $58.99. I just wish I'd waited on the previous two sets at that price, but I guess hindsight is 20/20. Well at least I saved at least $15.00 off the cheapest internet price that I had found.

**As per forum guidelines please refrain from
naming stores that break street date. Thanks!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
This set has more audio commentaries recorded by actors, writers, and directors in 2005 who were there 43 years ago then any previous release of the Definitive Edition. This in itself is a bargain and well worth purchasing! Who would have expected comedian Jonathan Winters (in a rare dramatic performance) to look back at "A Game of Pool"? Or Leonard Nimoy to discuss "The Quality of Mercy" -- a WWII story starring Dean Stockwell, in which Nimoy's character is a minor one. Why couldn't they get Stockwell instead?

If anyone has the phone number to that Oregon store selling The Twilight Zone for $59, please send me a private message (if they are possible through this forum). Thanks! :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I live in the Midwest and saw Volumes 1 and 2 of the Definitive Edition series being sold at Costco for $55.xx each.

Jeff#, if you have a Costco in your area you might want to check there on release day for Volume 3 since I would assume pricing would be consistent. Costco usually (at least in my area) is NOT competive with Sam's Club on their DVD pricing, but in this case they were. Costco does occasionally run coupon specials which are quite good though (especially for Warner Brothers product).

Steve

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Thanks, Steve, and although there are a few Costco stores here in southern California I'm not a member. I wouldn't shop there enough to want to pay the annual membership fee. Guess I'll have to get it from SuperDuperClub.com , although the 3rd season isn't listed on their website just yet. I purchased Season 2 from them in April for $75 and they shipped it to me in about 8 days.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting-- I haven't seen either of the Definitve Edition sets at the two Costcos (Hawthorne and Marina del Rey) that I frequent in Los Angeles. Is this a new development or have they always had them in stock?

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the good info, Craig.
Now the question: does "Cavender Is Coming" have the laugh track... or is it the more recently circulated version with the laugh track removed?

Looking forward to Tuesday :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I bought Season 3 today at the Best Buy store in Carlsbad for $73.99 ($79 with the tax). This is probably the first time I got anything a few days before it was supposed to be sold, which is good....because I needed something to get me through the rest of this weekend. ;)

"Cavender is Coming" is without the laughtrack as you'd expect, Dave. :emoji_thumbsup: But Carol Burnett didn't just appear on Serling's show. From the previous season, you'll see on Disc 5 (Special Features) hidden within the Cavender episode menu: A comedy sketch from The Garry Moore Show in 1961 with Rod guest starring and series regular Carol Burnett in a parody of The Twilight Zone that takes place in London in 1897! The 8 minute bit isn't very funny, except for Serling's intro! Rod briefly appears after the sketch on stage to shake Garry's hand. This is a film kinescope of a series that looks like it was originally shot on black & white videotape.

One thing that I thought was unusual appears on Disc # 5 in the Bonus Materials section. There are several promos, teasers, intros, and local station commercials by Serling himself for Rod Serling's Night Gallery. The station ID spots go on WAY too long, and are an example of overkill. As much as I like Serling, do we really need to see him do similar plugs for Night Gallery on every station in the U.S. at that time from Channel 7 through 60?

Night Galley was a good show in its own right, but was never on the level of Twilight Zone. Because of his deal with Universal, even Rod himself had little creative control on that series (Jack Laird was the producer). Dud Image really feel a need to put these in the latest The Twilight Zone Definite Edition to promote Universal's release of Night Gallery? Just a guess because I didn't buy that first set, but maybe Universal's doesn't have any special feautres. That would explain it.

Another bonus feature has Serling around 1967 or 68 in a 4 minute+ commercial for The Famous Writer's School, a home study course which is a solid testimonial for anyone looking to become a writer.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, as pointed out in the forum rules and also a few posts earlier in this thread, you're not supposed to name the retailer who is selling before the street-date.

Now to find myself someone with a CostCo card and go get seasons 1 & 2!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Sorry, Kyle... but as a longtime member you know that a lot of us throughout the U.S. posting here shop at Best Buy, and it seems justified for Twilight Zone fans to be able to buy a quality series ASAP. Why wait until Tuesday if you don't have to? It wasn't like that earlier post when somebody gave an exact address (which was edited before I got a chance to read it). A few days hardly makes a difference, and this Best Buy did the right thing putting TZ Season 3 on their shelves last night! :)

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the laugh track info. Seems like another reason to hang on to the videotape I have - as awful as that show is with it, that's the way it was broadcast originally, so it should be presented that way, our modern tastes notwithstanding. (Best option: a la the M*A*S*H sets, two audio tracks - with and without.)

Off topic: congrats and best wishes to the newlywed who started this thread!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I wasn't alive when "Cavender is Coming" or any of the old Twilight Zones aired in the early 1960s, but I'm not so sure that's how TZ originally aired it. It did exist though, because I remember in 1980s reruns the laugh track was there.

The version with the laugh track was intended to be shown if Cavnender had sold as a sitcom. Maybe in a parallel dimension that would happen, but not of this Earth! "Mr. Bevis" wouldn't have worked either. :D

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
It would've been nice if they could've included an isolated track with the laughtrack, since that's the way many of us remember seeing the episode in syndication. It wasn't until reruns on the Sci-Fi channel that I first saw "Cavender" without the laughtrack and it didn't quite feel the same as I remembered it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
By the way, The Arrival does have an isolated (stock) music track. They forgot to list it on the back of Disc One for some reason.

The only missing isolated scores are from some of the episodes with stock music. So all the original music for Season Three is available as an isolated track on the set. TZ music fans rejoice! Great work, Image! :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
One notable difference between the isolated music tracks on this one compared to the first 2 years of the Definitive Collection is that on the alternate track we can no longer listen to the opening theme song without Serling's opening comments. That's OK, although the electric guitar theme heard in the later episodes of the 3rd season would have been nice to hear with just the music only!

This set also advertises a few remakes of the 1980s Twilight Zone using clips from "Dead Woman's Shoes" and "A Game of Pool" and the 2002-03 UPN Twilight Zone series (hosted by Forrest Whitaker) with "It's Still a Good Life" in the Special Features menus that accompany the originals upon which they're based.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Typing of notable differences, re-watching these reminded me for the first time in years that "The Grave" with Lee Marvin was actually filmed during the second season, but delayed in first-run until the third. The only thing edited into that episode was the spinning spiral disc of the 3rd season animated opening that replaced the second season opening. Same deal with the shorter and slightly different end theme music.

How do I know this? For one thing, there is no on-screen title and producer / writer / director credits at the start of Act 1, which is characteristic of the 3rd season shows. Also look at the production code # in the end credits. With The Grave it's in the 3600 range. The 3rd season shows I've seen are all over 4800. That also explains why there were only 29 shows to air in the 1960-1961 season, but a 30th was produced and that was it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Wait a minute, didn't "Nothing in the Dark" also not have the writer/producer/director tags at the beginning?

I'm a little torn about buying this season since theres only 9 episodes out of 36 that are worth watching. That and the title sequence is crap.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I jumped ahead to "Nothing in the Dark", and yep -- no Act 1 credits there either. Thr production # is 3662, so it too was probably filmed for the 2nd season like "The Grave".

I felt at least half of the third season shows were well-done, and that the "space buoy / spinning disc" at the beginning had an almost hyponotic coolness to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks