What's new

Twilight Time September/October 2012 Releases (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
All I said was that there was inconsistent treatment, and these last few posts have proven that.
I wasn't trying to pick a fight, or say that one studio was better than another, or even raise the blood-pressure of people here. I just found it curious that there were different reactions.
David

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
David Weicker said:
I just found it curious that there were different reactions.
David
From my perspective, and with all due respect to NOTLD fans, there's also a world of difference between potential problems with Night of the Living Dead, and potential problems with films of the caliber of Vertigo, The Birds and Marnie. I'm not sure why you would expect the same level of interest and reaction to both - at least not on a forum where classic cinema is appreciated.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/321400/twilight-time-september-october-2012-releases/300#post_3983841
All I said was that there was inconsistent treatment, and these last few posts have proven that.
I wasn't trying to pick a fight, or say that one studio was better than another, or even raise the blood-pressure of people here. I just found it curious that there were different reactions.
David
It shouldn't surprise you that reactions vary according to the various programming vendors and their previous history of servicing the consumers. Twilight Time is highly responsive to the reactions of HTF members, seeing as one of their partners is himself part of our brethren...Universal Studios is a huge multinational conglomerate whose previous history of ignoring consumer complaints is legendary in a negative fashion...

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
In the spirit of moving on ... I wonder if the results of the international films Twilight Time has released as encouraged them to consider more international titles. If so, I would certainly like to see 37°2 le matin ( 37.2 Degrees in the Morning) a.k.a Betty Blue released in its director cut version. For those that have not seen it, it's a visual joy of a film both in cinematography as well as for featuring Béatrice Dalle in a smoking hot role. It's also an interesting story. Quite likely David Lynch references Betty Blue in his films including Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr. I'm pretty sure it's a Sony title.
kelB3XPycXXNMUmHx9eaTTBNTH8.jpg

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Cinema Libre last released Betty Blue. I think they have a number of the Jean-Jacques Beineix films.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
AnthonyP said:
Cinema Libre last released Betty Blue. I think they have a number of the Jean-Jacques Beineix films.
But do they have the rights to the Director's Cut on Blu-Ray? I noticed that they released the Original Theatrical Cut not the Director's Cut in their Blu-Ray release, yet oddly released the Director's Cut on DVD. These things can get complicated sometimes.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The director's cut of BETTY BLUE is still available on a Columbia DVD. Art-house label Cinema Libre released the theatrical version on Blu-ray.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Additionally, now that I think about it, several of Jean-Jacques Beineix's films are tied up by Fox/Lorber and Cinema Libre in inferior transfers. The DVDs are not even laser-disc quality. Cinema Libre's DVD of The Moon In the Gutter (1983), a surrealist noir adapted from the David Goodis novel and my favorite of his films, is an unacceptable transfer in the high-definition era. Columbia's DVD of BETTY BLUE is said to be better quality than Cinema Libre Blu-ray although I have not compared them. Somebody needs to rescue the significant films of Jean-Jacques Beineix.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
From TT today: "October 5 - We are receiving a number of inquiries from fans who missed out on NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 1990 Blu-ray initially, and would now like to obtain a copy. A very limited amount of copies will be available again on October 26th, 4pm EST. These will be limited to 1 per customer, and to those who had not previously ordered one from us."

LCD22

Screenwriter
I see that Twilight Time are now "insiders" on HTF. How receptive are they to consumers' suggestions? I can wait around forever for Sony to get to The Freshman (1990), and I prefer they do that one themselves, but I wonder if TT would be interested in taking a look at this film. While I'd love a commentary track and the trailer, I understand they don't have the budget to create new extras, like a commentary track? The DVD is barebones, but I've been holding off these past years for an BD release and some bonus materials.
I hope this is the correct thread for this inquiry.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm going out on a limb and saying that The Freshman would be more likely to be released under the Sony/Image deal on catalogue titles, as long as that's still in effect.

Oliver Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver
The Freshman is coming through Mill Creek.This is not wild speculation,but fact.It will be released on quad feature DVD this November,whilst BD release is estimated for 2013.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies guys. What can I expect from Mill Creek? Hopefully it'll, at least, receive a solid audio and video transfer.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
ChrisCook said:
Thanks for the replies guys. What can I expect from Mill Creek? Hopefully it'll, at least, receive a solid audio and video transfer.
Well, the Freshman quad pack that's coming includes Vice Versa, A Fine Mess and Wholly Moses!
So if they haven't been released already, then I'm sure these will be coming to bluray.
I'd pick up Vice Versa bluray.
Cover art is horrible for The Freshman.

LCD22

Screenwriter
JohnS said:
Well, the Freshman quad pack that's coming includes Vice Versa, A Fine Mess and Wholly Moses!
So if they haven't been released already, then I'm sure these will be coming to bluray.
I'd pick up Vice Versa bluray.
Cover art is horrible for The Freshman.
Yeah, it's not very flattering. However, the aspect ratio is listed as 1.78:1 when it should be 1.85:1. I hope that's not an indication what is to come on the Blu-ray, and it's just an error.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
ChrisCook said:
Yeah, it's not very flattering. However, the aspect ratio is listed as 1.78:1 when it should be 1.85:1. I hope that's not an indication what is to come on the Blu-ray, and it's just an error.
1.78 is the 'new' 1.85 for Blu ray...

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
WillG said:
Not always. Fox and Universal still do true 1.85:1 transfers.
Really? Then something is wrong in my set up with my 60 inch Pioneer Kuro as all 1.85 films either appear to default to 1.78 completely filling the screen or I'm missing part of the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks