What's new

Twilight Time joins forces with Sony Pictures to release BD editions of classic Columbia Titles (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Some time ago the Sony Columbia Classics website had a poll asking people to vote from a list on what title should be released and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND came top. Presumably at the time Sony intended to release it themselves but I suspect sales of 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD and JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS were not as good as they hoped and they were on sale at $19.99 or less. Those discs had plenty of extras as well. THE EGYPTIAN was a title I particularly wanted and therefore was willing to pay the high price for it but I'm not going to be buying further Blu-ray discs at the $30 or more price point.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am pretty surprised Sony wouldn't want to release Picnic or Pal Joey itself, both big hits in their day, and films that still resonate decades after their initial releases.

So, I guess there IS really just a small market for classic vault titles. For some reason, this really depresses me.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
The studios are pretty much done worrying about old movies. They don't even cash-in on the remakes anymore by releasing the originals. Unless it's another Twilight or another overblown superhero movie we're not going to see too many old movies released by the majors. Thankfully some of these smaller labels that are licensing stuff from the majors actually care enough about them to invest their own money and put 'em out.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
FRIGHT NIGHT will retail for $29.95 (pre-order will be up by MID-November), and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND will retail for $34.95. Their contract with Sony precludes them from adding any NEW material, but stuff that's already in existance and cleared by Sony CAN be included. Concerning FRIGHT NIGHT, Twilight was unaware of the already existing commentaries, and they told me they will be going over all the specs and details of what will be on the DVD next week when they meet with Director, Tom Holland.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by SWFF

FRIGHT NIGHT will retail for $29.95 (pre-order will be up by MID-November), and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND will retail for $34.95. Their contract with Sony precludes them from adding any NEW material, but stuff that's already in existance and cleared by Sony CAN be included. Concerning FRIGHT NIGHT, Twilight was unaware of the already existing commentaries, and they told me they will be going over all the specs and details of what will be on the DVD next week when they meet with Director, Tom Holland.

When they say "new" do they mean "new to disc" or "newly created"? If they wanted to dig into the vaults and pull out some stuff that had never been seen before, would that be forbidden?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Here's their exact statement, from their facebook page: "Our contract with Sony precludes us from generating new "bonus materials" but if the studio owns any pre-existing materials, already cleared for release, those can be included. "

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If I can't get it through Amazon, then I really doubt I'll be getting any of these releases at all. I am no longer willing to spend big bucks on video releases, and there aren't more than a handful of titles I would ever consider spending $40 on anymore.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by SWFF

Here's their exact statement, from their facebook page: "Our contract with Sony precludes us from generating new "bonus materials" but if the studio owns any pre-existing materials, already cleared for release, those can be included. "

That's the kicker: "already cleared for release."

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Adam Gregorich said:
If it comes down to $40 for a movie you really want or not being able to get it since its not going to sell enough to be worth a large studios time, I'd gladly spend the $40.

Agreed! Doug

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Craig S said:
However, the real problems here are that Twilight Time discs are (1) limited editions designed to make consumers pony up full price so they don't miss out on a desired title, and (2) sold exclusively through an anointed retailer who specializes in high-priced, low-volume "Collector's Editions". Even if the price is dropped to, say, $30, there will be NO discounts, and exorbitant (IMO) shipping costs.
Screen Archives is the "anointed retailer" and they have through September a 25% discount on all MGM MOD Discs. The situation is not entirely hopeless.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Douglas R said:
Some time ago the Sony Columbia Classics website had a poll asking people to vote from a list on what title should be released and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND came top. Presumably at the time Sony intended to release it themselves but I suspect sales of 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD and JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS were not as good as they hoped and they were on sale at $19.99 or less. Those discs had plenty of extras as well. THE EGYPTIAN was a title I particularly wanted and therefore was willing to pay the high price for it but I'm not going to be buying further Blu-ray discs at the $30 or more price point.
Yes I voted on that poll (for Mysterious Island), Sony ran the poll so I think they were honour bound to release it & not license it out. I also bought The Egyptian, but that was a one-off. I'm freelance & work has disappeared this year, so I'm living off savings & paying $37 & $47 is just not on. I went through that big book, The Columbia Story & couldn't find any really must have's, I think it's my least favorite studio. Better this than nothing, but I can't go back to paying those big prices & I suspect I'm not alone.

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
SWFF said:
FRIGHT NIGHT will retail for $29.95 (pre-order will be up by MID-November), and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND will retail for $34.95.
That was my guess when Derrick King posted the price range. And I'll certainly pay it (I bought "The egyptian" too). I want those movies, so what can you do?
JoHud said:
Looks like They also confirmed Picnic and Pal Joey as future releases.look Also looks like they're planning on releasing Fox blurays that already got DVD treatment sometime in the future.
I guess I'll get "Pal Joey" too. And I hope it's true about the already released Fox movies, there are some I want (and I don't buy dvd-s anymore).
MattH. said:
I am pretty surprised Sony wouldn't want to release Picnic or Pal Joey itself, both big hits in their day, and films that still resonate decades after their initial releases.

So, I guess there IS really just a small market for classic vault titles. For some reason, this really depresses me.
Stephen_J_H said:
Twilight Time has actually posted on their Facebook page that they have yet to sell out one of their 3,000 disc runs, which I'm guessing is one of their standard runs. It's a classic economies of scale scenario: BD replicators charge more for smaller runs, and that cost gets passed onto the consumer.
That seems to be the sad reality, and still some people complaint because the Twilight Time releases are expensive. I'm glad they're being released at all!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
but I can't go back to paying those big prices & I suspect I'm not alone.

You're right.

I can't justify spending $30 or $40 for a catalog release.

At least Image is releasing Sony classic titles for under $15.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Below are estimated total amounts I've paid for individual titles on different formats over the years: Halloween (1978) - approx. $85 Friday the 13th films - $150+ The Twilight Zone (original series) - $1,000+ Star Wars (all) - $100+ James Bond films - $300+ I'm sure many of you have spent small fortunes purchasing the movies and TV show you love over and over without blinking too much. I don't see how paying $30 for something you'll get a lot of enjoyment from is a big problem.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Luis,

I have no argument with anyone that spends a fortune for

something that they personally value. Not argument with you

personally, Luis.

However, for the general population, I think it is absolutely

inane to be paying more than $25 (and that's being generous)

for a bare-bone catalog release on Blu-ray these days.

Blu-ray pricing has finally come down to the $20 or less

pricepoint on many major titles.

When Twilight Time is charging $30 for Fright Night and

Image announces Stir Crazy for $14, I don't understand the

price gouging going on here.

I am a fan of Sony. Not trying to bash them. I understand

the studios are having a hard time selling catalog product.
Perhaps doing these short limited runs on DVD/BD and/or

farming them out to another company is a far more expensive
ordeal than we anticipated.

I just shudder at the direction this industry is going when

they have to offer their titles through another venue that is

charging a premium for bare-bone catalog titles.

I am a huge fan of Fright Night. But you know what?

At $30 for BD I would much rather enjoy the film on DVD.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
People have been saying that the public doesn't buy classic films anymore. But how can they if the studios don't want them out except under the radar, and big box stores refuse to carry them?

And with all these remakes it's like they are actively trying to make the originals go away.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

You're right.

I can't justify spending $30 or $40 for a catalog release.

At least Image is releasing Sony classic titles for under $15.

It depends on the movie. As a rule there is no way I am spending that, but for some movies when its the only way I don't have a huge problem with it. Its not like the price point is there because they are making an extra $20 off the release. Their authoring and replication costs are a lot more. Since they appear to be a lot more selective I bet their acquisition costs are a lot more too. I just think its a great way to get more movies out on Blu-ray, movies that the studios have chosen not to release because they don't think they will sell. If its a matter of spending $30-$40 to get a movie I really want vs not seeing it released I'm willing to pay.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I just picked up this set at Amazon for $23!

Originally Posted by Douglas R

/t/314367/twilight-time-joins-force...ns-of-classic-columbia-titles/30#post_3846217

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Craig S

However, the real problems here are that Twilight Time discs are (1) limited editions designed to make consumers pony up full price so they don't miss out on a desired title, and (2) sold exclusively through an anointed retailer who specializes in high-priced, low-volume "Collector's Editions". Even if the price is dropped to, say, $30, there will be NO discounts, and exorbitant (IMO) shipping costs.

I really wish Sony had just licensed these titles to Criterion...

While I'm sure the "don't miss out" is an aspect of the limited limited run, my guess is that it also makes it much easier on the rest of their business. They license it one time for 3000 copies, and they do one production run. That helps keep their costs down. As to specialty retailer that makes sense as that is where likely customers will go and since it is a very small operation and small runs it would be hard to deal with multiple retailers. Its not a mass market product. They do sell them on Amazon but they are about $5 more due to Amazon's commission.

At the end of the day its a value proposition. Is the cost worth the product? For some it is and others it isn't. Its hard to debate that as its a personal decision. Personally I don't think Twilight Time's pricing is out of line with the costs associated with making limited runs.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
On the bright side, I'll be able to save on shipping by bundling a Fox DVD preorder with a Sony bluray preorder (I hope) since the $4.50 shipping is a bit hefty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks