Twilight Time indicates they will re-license some sold-out titles. BREAKING!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Reaction score
Website
www.darkrealmfox.com
Real Name
Malcolm
ROclockCK said:
P. S. Malcolm, don't ever see Altered States. ;)
Seen it, just don't remember too much about it as that was over twenty years ago.

I feel uncomfortable with any cruelty to another species inflicted while making a film, i also think it's laziness on the part of the filmmakers and sometimes it's only done for shock value, i would prefer they got creative and came up with ways of making a scene work without harming any creatures, many filmmakers do get creative and a scene can often work better because of that.

In the UK we have laws and certain films get cut if they feature acts of cruelty such as horse trips, i am against cuts, the film has been made, for better or worse the scenes are in the film and we should be able to watch it uncut, i am against censorship, i just do not like cruelty on film and lizards may be cold blooded but they feel pain, anyway that's just my thoughts.

Jari K

Producer
Reaction score
Yes, animal cruelty can be sickening. I mean e.g. Cannibal Holocaust is actually a powerful film, but I can't watch those animal cruelty scenes ever again. They're just horrible. I'm glad that the "animal cruelty free" version is included on the US DVD and now also on BD.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve
FoxyMulder said:
Seen it, just don't remember too much about it as that was over twenty years ago.

I feel uncomfortable with any cruelty to another species inflicted while making a film, i also think it's laziness on the part of the filmmakers and sometimes it's only done for shock value, i would prefer they got creative and came up with ways of making a scene work without harming any creatures, many filmmakers do get creative and a scene can often work better because of that.

In the UK we have laws and certain films get cut if they feature acts of cruelty such as horse trips, i am against cuts, the film has been made, for better or worse the scenes are in the film and we should be able to watch it uncut, i am against censorship, i just do not like cruelty on film and lizards may be cold blooded but they feel pain, anyway that's just my thoughts.
Re: Altered States:
Recovering from the influence of magic mushrooms, Jessup wakes upto discover that what had appeared to him as a naked vision of thiswife was actually giant gila (or similar), which he had totally eviscerated during his hallucination.

Actually, I agree with you in general regarding animal cruelty Malcolm, especially that SOP "horse tripping" in vintage westerns. On some productions, many - if not most - of those animals had to be put down to spare them further suffering, and it still makes me cringe when I watch those stunts. But thankfully, through education, public pressure, legislation, and of course technological advancement (CGI enhancement/replacement), that primitive practice has long since been abandoned*.

But a lizard...is a reptile...is a cold-blooded (non-sentient) creature...to my mind, not much different than a snake or spider, although I would agree that their continued existence benefits homo sapiens in many other useful ways, chief among them keeping the insect population in check. In any case, it's not like filmmakers created a minor industry-of-slaughter churning out purses and belts after these productions shut down. My biggest problem with the habit of tricking-out lizards as dinosaurs was that they were so seldom even remotely convincing in dino drag...Journey to the Center of the Earth being one of the few pictures which at least used them reasonably well.

* And folks wonder how a single modern western like The Lone Ranger could possibly end up costing 100 times what a vintage oater did in the day...a fair chunk of that was for animal effects which can no longer be done 'live'.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Reaction score
Website
www.darkrealmfox.com
Real Name
Malcolm
I believe all things can experience pleasure and pain, it is wrong to cause suffering based on a non-sentient or sentient argument.
ROclockCK said:
But a lizard...is a reptile...is a cold-blooded (non-sentient) creature...to my mind, not much different than a snake or spider,

Reactions: Brent Reid

ahollis

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Allen
I'll step on a spider in a second along with a roach. Now a snake I'll cut that MF's head right off with a hoe or either send my attack rabbit after it.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm right there with ahollis -- in my boots and everything. Just need a rabbit to complete the munitions.

Reactions: ahollis

atfree

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alex
TravisR said:
Since Star Wars fans are the first, loudest and angriest to agree with Han having shot first, I don't think that's the analogy that you're looking for.
Meant "Han shot 2nd".... Multitasking and not watching my fat fingers!

Reactions: TravisR

SilverWook

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Bill
Funny how some people are only bothered by such things when it's a cute furry mammal. There are species of lizards cute enough to cause cavities. I'm not crazy about snakes either, but so long as it's not threatening me, live and let live.

Any hints the Harryhausen titles will be reissued? I know some people who are still kicking themselves for missing out.

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Paul
SWFF said:
No word. But just this minute they confirmed -- JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959) (brand new 4k restoration).
That would be my first Twilight Time double-dip.

smithbrad

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brad
When "Journey..." was released it was the first time I had heard about the Twilight Time model and couldn't bring myself to making the purchase. After picking up several other favorite since from TT, I'm still kicking myself for letting "Journey..." slip through my fingers. Now hearing about a re-release and new scan there is no way I would miss this a second time (ordering day on). Thanks TT for a second opportunity.

"Mysterious Island" is another I would go for if chosen for a re-release.

Reactions: lukejosephchung

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Steve
I can't update the OP*, but now that Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia has sold out, here's where it would land in the list:
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (Blu-ray):
Jan. 22, 2014 - May 10
, 2014

108 Days **

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Blu-ray):
Feb. 19, 2014 - Jul. 11
, 2014

142 Days
The Fury (Blu-ray):
Feb. 15, 2013 - Aug. 31, 2013**

190 Days **

NEW TOTAL: 24 (18 Blu-rays / 6 DVDs)

* ...since it's not really my OP; I just inherited the first post via mod migration. ;)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Michael
FoxyMulder said:
That statement is questionable, i have seen several posters say it, i was disappointed with Zulu, edge enhancement like that should NEVER EVER be seen on any blu ray release, that is why i asked if there is a chance of a new film scan.

Every label has a few titles that could be better but i find edge enhancement halo's very objectionable, a lot of people don't notice those things, but it takes me right out of the film, especially when said film is an epic with great background scenery.

I have absolutely no problem with TT re-licensing quality looking titles, it's a win-win situation for everyone.
I do have a problem with TT re-releasing titles IF they go from bare bones discs to ones suddenly having bonus features where there previously were none (Fright Night.)

You sell titles under the guise of it being a "limited edition" where only 3000 copies will be available to buy and once they're gone they are GONE, TT has repeatedly said in the past that companies like Sony have little to no interest in catalog BDs so this clearly gives consumers the idea that if they want that movie they had better get it right away or else they will lose out for good.

Now if something like "Fright Night" is re-released by TT and is the same version as they previously put out, then fine, great. That gives some fans another shot at getting it. If it now will come with new bonus features then quite frankly I feel like I was mislead the first time around even more so when it was stated that at first they couldn't have bonus stuff at all, then it was ok to have bonus material if it was already included on previous DVDs (like "Christine") but TT could not produce supplements for their licensed titles regardless. So what gives? The position keeps shifting and now I simply cannot believe a word from TT ever again and I don't think I am the only one based on many comments I have read from multiple forums.

If a title like "Fright Night" gets re-released by TT then what kind of rebate will they offer to customers who bought it from them before who were lead to believe what now appear to be falsehoods? I'm willing to wager nothing.

Ugh.

Reactions: Will Krupp

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
To be fair, I don't think Twilight Time themselves have ever said "once they're gone, they're gone." If you read their interview with HTF from a few years back, they've always made it clear that the licensing period is only three years, and only for the US. So it's been fairly obvious, especially with frequent releases of TT-licensed titles in other countries, that it was never strictly about this being your last, final, from now until the end of time chance to get a particular title on Blu.

It's more correct to say that given the limited release nature of TT titles, it's quite possible that it may be your only chance to own a title on Blu, as it may otherwise never be released elsewhere, or re-released by Twilight Time.

The rest is true about Sony, and most other studios, not being interested enough to release certain catalog titles on Blu. It's only been through the demonstration of actual demand for certain titles (i.e. selling out the first 3,000 run) that TT can ascertain whether it's worth relicensing and reissuing new versions of certain movies. None of this was evident at the time TT released these films, so they can hardly be blamed for misleading consumers.

AnthonyClarke

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Anthony
I don't think you were "mislead" (sic) by Twilight. You could double-dip at almost no cost since TT's resale values are very high, and pay just a small part of your initial cost to get the extras, if you're really desperate to get them.
Remember, TT has no way of knowing in advance which few of their titles they'll find worthwhile to re-release. And good on them for adding extra value second time around, if they can.

Reactions: ahollis

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Reaction score
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Also, the situation DID change. I think it's ridiculous to complain about someone later releasing a better product because you feel personally slighted. As has been said, you wouldn't lose out any money and perhaps make a profit selling the original release to a collector as there will be people who want each issue so resale value wouldn't be majorly impacted by a reissue, and in fact impacted less by a reissue that differs from the original.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I don't have a problem with the reissues on sell-out titles, as long as they do it very selectively (on a small percentage of the sell-outs). Otherwise with routine reissues there would be no urgency to buy before they're gone. And with the reissued being improved in some way the case can be made to wait a few years for the better release because $30 is a lot of money to spend on a disc that will second best in a couple of years.

In any case TT has already stated that most sell-outs will not be reissued by them, which I think is a good call, not only to the long term value of their brand, but also making it possible to release more NEW-to-Blu titles rather than some new and some reissues (like Warner does for example). The limited edition model (buy before they're gone!) has proven very effective, and excessive reissues would somewhat damage the effectiveness of that model by reducing or eliminating the urgency to buy from them.

BTW, I don't have any of the titles they're likely to reissue, but then I'm not a horror fan so I probably won't buy any of them anyway.

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'd like to put in a vote for "Thunderbolt & Lightfoot" getting a second run, becuase it turns out that the UK Blu-ray that was just released is region B locked and therefore of no use to me. :(

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Michael
Persianimmortal said:
To be fair, I don't think Twilight Time themselves have ever said "once they're gone, they're gone." If you read their interview with HTF from a few years back, they've always made it clear that the licensing period is only three years, and only for the US. So it's been fairly obvious, especially with frequent releases of TT-licensed titles in other countries, that it was never strictly about this being your last, final, from now until the end of time chance to get a particular title on Blu.

It's more correct to say that given the limited release nature of TT titles, it's quite possible that it may be your only chance to own a title on Blu, as it may otherwise never be released elsewhere, or re-released by Twilight Time.

The rest is true about Sony, and most other studios, not being interested enough to release certain catalog titles on Blu. It's only been through the demonstration of actual demand for certain titles (i.e. selling out the first 3,000 run) that TT can ascertain whether it's worth relicensing and reissuing new versions of certain movies. None of this was evident at the time TT released these films, so they can hardly be blamed for misleading consumers.
It's that combination. They are releasing 3000 copies of this Sony film. Sony is not releasing catalog product as they are not interested. Physical media will be dead soon, etc. Saying all these things, without question, implies to the consumer that that 3000 copy run is it for that title. It would be entirely different had they ever said at the outset "Well if it sells well enough we would certainly attempt to re-license the movie again." It was all very misleading IMO.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha