What's new

Twilight Time Announces Releases Sept/Oct/Nov, 2013 (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I just placed my order for Drums Along the Mohawk. I will be reviewing Alamo Bay, so no need for me to order that one (which is unlikely to sell out anytime soon).

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Certainly the TT release of DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK, if the same transfer as the existent SoulMedia PAL BD is used, will be a welcomed surprise to many as it is one of the most beautiful, sharply detailed and colorful BDs I've ever seen. The print used must have been pristine. The SoulMedia one had pretty bad sound issues, which I'm sure will be cleared up in this new release. I'll be buying the TT version and, in a way, do wish I had waited for this release. That's one of the dangers of international BD buying, I guess. But, let me tell you, you'd be hard pressed to find anything that looks better than this. It is simply jaw dropping gorgeous.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Ed Lachmann said:
Certainly the TT release of DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK, if the same transfer as the existent SoulMedia PAL BD is used, will be a welcomed surprise to many as it is one of the most beautiful, sharply detailed and colorful BDs I've ever seen. The print used must have been pristine. The SoulMedia one had pretty bad sound issues, which I'm sure will be cleared up in this new release. I'll be buying the TT version and, in a way, do wish I had waited for this release. That's one of the dangers of international BD buying, I guess. But, let me tell you, you'd be hard pressed to find anything that looks better than this. It is simply jaw dropping gorgeous.
The only thing I didn't like about the Soul Media BD (besides the weird out-of-phase sounding audio) was significant black crush in deep shadows. If they can bring forth some detail there, they will have an outstanding looking presentation.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
cineMANIAC said:
I'm trying to determine what kind of film ALAMO BAY is stylistically before making a blind purchase. Can anyone help?
I was at a screening of Sony's new 4K DCP of ALAMO BAY at The Academy of Motion Pictures in Hollywood the night before last. Cinematographer Curtis Clark was there, as well as Grover Crisp of Sony who was responsible for the new transfer. It looked beautiful, with rich, inky blacks, lots of image detail and great color. The new Blu-ray will source from the same master.

In answer to your question cineMANIAC, stylistically the film is similar to Louis Malle's earlier film ATLANTIC CITY in regards to pacing, direction and overall feel, but with a touch of MISSISSIPPI BURNING thrown in. Based on a true story, ALAMO BAY is shot in a small southern Texas town and it deals with the racial insensitivity towards the local Vietnamese population, eventually leading to tragedy. Though the plots of MB and AB are different, the atmosphere of the two films is similar. It also captures what life in this small Texas town must have really been like.

I did like ALAMO BAY very much and plan on buying the Blu-ray. It's not a fun and uplifting picture, but it's one that deserves to be seen and I think it has repeatability.

And as cinematographer Curtis Clark said the other night, "it's never looked better!"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Twilight Time proudly announces the most eagerly anticipated BLU-RAY release of the year – the ultimate must-have movie for any collection!
“THE WAY WE WERE”
Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release​
Only 3,000 units available at​
www.screenarchives.com & www.TCMSHOP.com​
Once they are gone – they are gone!​
RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 12TH, 2013
“The roles and the temperaments of the stars are inseparable here. That’s what makes the movie so effective a throwback (with a political difference) to the romantic star vehicles of an earlier era…The male-female story of The Way We Were gives it a vital connection to people’s lives…It’s hit entertainment.” —Pauline Kael, The New Yorker
“[Streisand]’s fantastic. She’s the brightest, quickest actress in movies today, inhabiting her characters with a fierce energy and yet able to be touchingly vulnerable.” —Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford bring the full force of their distinctive—and very distinct—talents to The Way We Were (1973), an edgy, anguished, but often very funny love story set in the turbulent period between 1937 and the mid-1950s. The Depression, World War II, and particularly the post-War era of political witch-hunts, the HUAC hearings, and the Hollywood Blacklist comprise the backdrop for the unlikely romance between an intense, passionate outsider (Streisand) and a talented but spoiled golden boy (Redford): opposites who are very attracted, indeed. Directed by Sidney Pollack from a script by Arthur Laurents, and featuring a classic Oscar®-winning score by Marvin Hamlisch.
LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Twilight Time proudly announces the exciting BLU-RAY release of the unforgettable smash hit musical that has fascinated audiences with its exuberance and larger than life performances – a real gem!
“OLIVER”
Oliver! has been made by people who know how; it’s a civilized motion picture, not only emotionally satisfying but so satisfyingly crafted that we can sit back and enjoy…The musical numbers emerge from the story with a grace that has been rarely seen since the musicals of René Clair.” —Pauline Kael, The New Yorker
“Sir Carol Reed’s Oliver! is a treasure of a movie…very nearly universal entertainment...It never stoops for cheap effects and never insults our intelligence. It is a splendid experience.”
—Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
Director Carol Reed (The Third Man) brings us this splendid 1968 screen adaptation of Lionel Bart’s smash-hit musical, Oliver! Based on Charles Dickens’s classic Oliver Twist, the film tells the charming yet dark tale of a runaway orphan (Mark Lester in the title role) who travels to London to seek his fortune, only to become ensnared in a den of child-thieves run by the unforgettable Fagin (Ron Moody, in an Oscar®-nominated performance). Featuring Oliver Reed as the brutal Bill Sikes, Shani Wallis as the endearing Nancy, and Jack Wild (another Oscar® nominee) as the impudent Artful Dodger, Oliver! won six Academy Awards®, including Best Director and Best Picture.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Twilight Time proudly announces the exciting BLU-RAY release of Charlotte Bronte’s passionate novel in the motion picture version, that has been brought vividly to life by Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine!
“JANE EYRE”
“A drama that is as intense on celluloid as it is on the printed page…Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles are excellent.” —Variety
“Mr. Welles’ ferocious performance…has the studied arrogance, the restless moods of a medieval king carrying his own soul on a halberd…Robert Stevenson has directed in a style that suggests the romantic extravagance of dark Victorian prose.” —The New York Times
Charlotte Brontë’s passionate Victorian novel is brought to the screen in classic fashion in this 1943 version of Jane Eyre, directed by Robert Stevenson (Old Yeller, Mary Poppins) and starring Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine. The screenplay by Stevenson, John Houseman, and Aldous Huxley details Jane’s dramatic journey from the brutality of a school for impoverished children, following as she goes out into the world, becoming a governess at the mysterious Thornfield Hall and breaking taboos by falling in love with her mercurial master, the brooding Edward Rochester. Featuring stunning cinematography by George Barnes (Rebecca), and one of the incomparable Bernard Herrmann’s most monumental scores (available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track).

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
"The Other"(1972) & "Mindwarp"(1992) are now available at Screen Archives' website for pre-order...release date is October 8th and list price for both titles is $29.95 plus shipping and tax...

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
"OLIVER" has just been released on Blu-ray here in Australia.

It is region free. (I successfully played it on my alternative region 1 player)
It sells here for around $15. (I paid only $12.78 in a local sale)

Both the picture and sound quality are excellent.
It contains the Overture, Original Intermission card, Entr'acte Music and Exit Music.
For those who like to see the grain, there is plenty.
Color and gray scale are both perfect.

I'm a great supporter of TT and would recommend them to all.
The TT release should have the underscoring which would be a great addition, but by saving on freight and buying at the super low price I decided on the cheaper alternative this time.

oliver.jpg

Doug.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
lukejosephchung said:
"The Other"(1972) & "Mindwarp"(1992) are now available at Screen Archives' website for pre-order...release date is October 8th and list price for both titles is $29.95 plus shipping and tax...
THE OTHER ordered.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Eastmancolor said:
I was at a screening of Sony's new 4K DCP of ALAMO BAY at The Academy of Motion Pictures in Hollywood the night before last. Cinematographer Curtis Clark was there, as well as Grover Crisp of Sony who was responsible for the new transfer. It looked beautiful, with rich, inky blacks, lots of image detail and great color. The new Blu-ray will source from the same master.
And it certainly looks it Jim. How many words are there left in the English language to describe the continuing fine work of Crisp and his Sony mastering team? Despite all the deserved praise (and attention) Drums Along the Mohawk has received this month, IMO this is TT's 'hero' release...a former MIA gem shepherded magnificently to Blu-ray. And of course, I now have another sweeeeet Ry Cooder score to savour in IST form. Not one of TT's most feature packed sets, but the superb picture and soundtrack certainly hit me where I live. :)
Eastmancolor said:
I did like ALAMO BAY very much and plan on buying the Blu-ray. It's not a fun and uplifting picture, but it's one that deserves to be seen and I think it has repeatability.
Had never seen this picture, but loved Malle's customary clarity of observation and brutal honesty. Even in the darker recesses of such desperate, broken lives he always seems to find this elusive, tainted beauty which I find mesmerizing. It's uncanny how often this filmmaker has sucked me into stories that would not otherwise interest me via subject alone. I think your Atlantic City analogy is apt...at least in terms of overall tone.

As for the cast, what a performance buffet! This is really Ed Harris' show though - an actor I've always admired on screen - and I think this is his most complex role and strangely affecting work to date. As you say, not exactly upbeat stuff, but if you're going to do tragedy, don't dance around it...have the brickles to go for it in all of its pathetic contradictions...just as Harris does here.

Probably this will be another Rapture or Swamp Water as far as TT sales go, but nevertheless I'm glad they ran with it. Those who do take a chance are in for a fine film beautifully presented. :thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Doug Bull said:
"OLIVER" has just been released on Blu-ray here in Australia.

It is region free. (I successfully played it on my alternative region 1 player)
It sells here for around $15. (I paid only $12.78 in a local sale)

Both the picture and sound quality are excellent.
It contains the Overture, Original Intermission card, Entr'acte Music and Exit Music.
For those who like to see the grain, there is plenty.
Color and gray scale are both perfect.

I'm a great supporter of TT and would recommend them to all.
The TT release should have the underscoring which would be a great addition, but by saving on freight and buying at the super low price I decided on the cheaper alternative this time.

attachicon.gif
oliver.jpg

Doug.
It's being released in the UK on October 21st.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Maybe not. I just checked....it said pre-orders are available 25 days in advance:
October 11th - OLIVER! (1968) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th, THE WAY WE WERE (1973) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th, and JANE EYRE (1944) BLU-RAY - Nov 12th. Please be advised that PRE-ORDERS begin approximately 25 days BEFORE the release date listed next to each title. Dates are subject to change without notification.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks