What's new

Twilight Time Announces March/April 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The Breakin' films are a good fit for Shout Factory, which has handled some Cannon titles.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Dick said:
Actually, it is (currently) $26. plus $4. shipping. Too rich for my blood. BULLETS OVER BROADWAY, also from Daaveedee is only two bucks less.
But you'd buy it from TT at 30 + shipping? I ordered 6 Allen titles from Laserdisken in Denmark for $15 each shipped. Use Google as it will translate the site. Buy multiples and the shipping isn't bad.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
OK to be honest, nothing much here for me either. But I'm still catching up on earlier TT titles that I or my wife (Kyrsten) find interesting. Case in point The Blue Lagoon which I just ordered last week from SAE.

And I'm so glad I jumped when I did last month for Sinbad & the Eye of the Tiger. Now if TT could somehow find just one copy of Golden Voyage of Sinbad lying around TT that they could part with, I'd be a happy man. I just missed that one, not discovering TT until January of this year.

Oh and I'll be putting in orders for Thunderbolt & Lightfoot and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines next month as budgets permit.

One last question Ronald. By chance have you heard of the 1968 "spy thriller" (actually more of a ripoff of Dean Martin's Matt Helm spoofs ) called Hammerhead? I just ordered the DVD off Amazon but if you guys could come up with a blu-ray, you'd get another sale. Sony/Columbia holds the rights. I first saw it in 1974 but still have that lovely vision of Judy Geeson's jiggly butt (clothed) as that motorcycle goes up those stairs.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Don't overlook the 1949 Oscar winner All the King's Men, a terrifically entertaining classic that should look great on Blu.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
bujaki said:
The 1949 version of All the King's Men hasn't aged one bit. It's still a powerful film, and so is the novel. Not to be missed in either iteration.
Agreed, much better than the Sean Penn remake.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just checked The Blue Lagoon on Twilight Time and find it's the Brooke Shields version which I saw years ago and didn't care for. If only someone would bring out the Jean Simmons version ... that would make for an interesting comparison and I love everything Jean Simmons is in!
Re Brooke Shields ... Louis Malle's Pretty Baby must be up for release some time soon.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
We need more Jean Simmons in blu. A great actress. Her version of The Blue Lagoon should look gorgeous.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
AnthonyClarke said:
Just checked The Blue Lagoon on Twilight Time and find it's the Brooke Shields version which I saw years ago and didn't care for. If only someone would bring out the Jean Simmons version ... that would make for an interesting comparison and I love everything Jean Simmons is in!
Re Brooke Shields ... Louis Malle's Pretty Baby must be up for release some time soon.
I'd be interested in the Jean Simmons version of The Blue Lagoon as well to complete my Blue Lagoon set, even though I don't much like the sequel Return to the Blue Lagoon (didn't like that they killed off the Brooke Shields & Christopher Atkins characters). Blue Lagoon, the Awakening (2012) was surprisingly pretty decent as Indiana Evans was quite captivating even if it was a little skimpy (I have the DVD). I did like the casting of Christopher Atkins in Blue Lagoon, the Awakening. Denise Richards was pretty decent too but I would have like to seen Brooke Shields in that role.

As for Pretty Baby, I saw it at the USMC theater in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba back in 1980. It did have some child nudity in it (Brooke Shields of course, though not in a sexual manner) which today might raise some eyebrows (and result in a edited blu-ray if they did release it). The DVD release though is unedited so maybe not. Might be a TT release candidate.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Kyrsten Brad said:

As for Pretty Baby, I saw it at the USMC theater in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba back in 1980. It did have some child nudity in it (Brooke Shields of course, though not in a sexual manner) which today might raise some eyebrows (and result in a edited blu-ray if they did release it). The DVD release though is unedited so maybe not. Might be a TT release candidate.
PRETTY BABY is a Paramount film so not a TT candidate. More likely we will see another DVD from WAC. Twilight does mot have an agreement with Paramount.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
ahollis said:
PRETTY BABY is a Paramount film so not a TT candidate. More likely we will see another DVD from WAC. Twilight does mot have an agreement with Paramount.
Thanks for the update ahollis. Hopefully we'll see a blu from WAC for Pretty Baby though whether or not it will be edited to cut out the Brooke Shields nudity is unknown at this point. It was a powerful, insightful film into the legalized prositiution industry in New Orleans in the time period depicted. For now though, we'll have to do with the DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Kyrsten Brad said:
Thanks for the update ahollis. Hopefully we'll see a blu from WAC for Pretty Baby though whether or not it will be edited to cut out the Brooke Shields nudity is unknown at this point. It was a powerful, insightful film into the legalized prositiution industry in New Orleans in the time period depicted. For now though, we'll have to do with the DVD.
The nudity will not be cut out. It was passed by the MPAA.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Press Release 04/01/2014​
Twilight Time is delighted to announce the BLU-RAY release of what has justifiably become Woody’s signature movie!
“BROADWAY DANNY ROSE”
Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release​
Only 3,000 units available at​
Once they are gone – they are gone!​
RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, APRIL 8TH, 2014
“One of the funniest and most touching characters Mr. Allen has yet created…As for Miss Farrow, her comic talents here are a revelation.”
—Janet Maslin, The New York Times
Broadway Danny Rose, like all of Allen’s best movies, is a New York movie…accomplished with wonderfully off-the-wall characterizations…It all works.” —Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
“A delectable diversion which allows Woody Allen to present a reasonably humane and amusing gentle character study.” Variety
Broadway Danny Rose (1984), starring, written, and directed by Woody Allen, gives us a variation on his patented schlub character: this time, the eponymous good-hearted talent agent who represents not just the worst but the most pathetic acts in show business. Among these is Lou Canova (Nick Apollo Forte), a corny lounge singer saddled with a drinking problem and a temperamental mistress, Tina Vitale (Mia Farrow, in a terrific comic performance). When Lou asks Danny to be his beard with Tina, the wimpy agent suddenly finds himself dealing with the Mob—and with the feisty Tina, herself. Beautifully rendered in black-and-white by cinematographer Gordon Willis.
LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Twilight Time announces the delightful James Stewart and Maureen O’Hara
in the comedy treat of the year - on Blu-Ray for the first time !
“MR.HOBBS TAKES A VACATION”
“Togetherness, all-American family style, is given a gently irreverent poke in the ribs…The film is peppered with refreshingly sharp, sophisticated references and quips.”Variety

“It is suggested in this wacky domestic report that togetherness is strictly for the birds…The Mr. Hobbs of the title, played beguilingly by James Stewart, is very much of this opinion as far as his own brood is concerned…in the end, it is concluded that, for all this, the family is still strong.” —Bosley Crowther, The New York Times
The apparently light-hearted comedy, Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation (1962), reveals an intriguing darker side in its tale of a family get-together gone awry. Little kids are monstrous, older kids suffer from self-esteem problems, grown-up kids have marital difficulties of distressingly diverse natures—and all are presided over by a decidedly grumpy (if great) James Stewart, waging the familial wars with a more idealistic helpmate (Maureen O’Hara) at his side. Directed and written by a pair of Hollywood veterans (Henry Koster and Nunnally Johnson, respectively), this quirky film features a standout score by the superb Henry Mancini, available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Twilight Time announces the long-awaited cult favorite release of the year!
David Lynch’s tantalizing road classic, on Blu-Ray for the first time !
“WILD AT HEART”
“Lynch’s kinky fairy tale is a triumph of startling images and comic invention…a bonfire of a movie that confirms his reputation as the most exciting and innovative filmmaker of his generation.” —Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
“Exhilaratingly unsettling…funny, scary, and brilliantly cinematic.” Time Out London
Adapted from the picaresque novel by Barry Gifford, writer-director David Lynch’s Wild at Heart (1990) is a scarifying road movie starring Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern as Sailor and Lula, a pair of star-crossed lovers pursued across the American landscape by all manner of horrors. Most are unleashed by Lula’s unhinged mother (played by Diane Ladd, Dern’s real-life Mom), a woman scorned who will stop at nothing to destroy Sailor. Also starring Harry Dean Stanton, Isabella Rossellini, and Willem Dafoe, and featuring a haunting score by Angelo Badalamenti, available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Twilight Time announces the acclaimed sex farce release,
of Alan Clarke’s biting critique of the Thatcher years on Blu-Ray for the first time !
“RITA, SUE AND BOB TOO”
“A bleak, sardonic British comedy about the violation of a taboo…a movie about two tough, deprived girls from the worst part of town and an irresponsible, feather-brained adult who thinks he’s taking advantage of them when they’re in fact a whole lot more worldly and cynical than he is.”
—Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
“A sad-funny comedy about sex and life in the Yorkshire city of Bradford…a completely convincing mixture of raunchy comedy and sadness “ Variety
“Played with heart, humor, and substance…Mr. Clarke plays up the fun-loving aspects of the material enough to create a sly, absurdist tone.” —Janet Maslin, The New York Times

Rita, Sue and Bob Too (1987), helmed by esteemed cult director Alan Clarke, is a sex farce and then some: a biting critique of Britain’s Thatcher years’ society, it blends horror and humor to shattering effect. The story of two teenagers (played by Downton Abbey’s evil O’Brien, Siobhan Finneran, and Michelle Holmes) who enter into a sexual misalliance with a married man (George Costigan), the film paints a grisly but amusing picture of misspent British youth in an age devoid of dreams.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Twilight Time announces the long-awaited cult comedy favorite!
Trust Twilight Time – this movie is NO lemon!
“USED CARS”
“A classic screwball fantasy—a shaggy celebration of American ingenuity.”—Pauline Kael, The New Yorker
“A foul-mouthed, bumper-crunching farce…more laughs in it than any film of the summer…Used Cars possesses an intelligent, good-natured skepticism that has all but vanished from comedies today.” —Vincent Canby, The New York Times
From writer-director Robert Zemeckis and writer-producer Bob Gale, Used Cars (1980) stars Kurt Russell as a charming/nefarious car salesman caught up in a war between feuding car-lot owners, the twin brothers Roy and Luke Fuchs (both played, marvelously, by Jack Warden). This satiric look at the American dream also stars Gerrit Graham, Frank McRae, Deborah Harmon, Michael McKean, and David L. Lander as a madcap group of miscreant strivers in a film that has become a cult favorite.

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
Broadway Danny Rose and probably Used Cars for me. BDR is one of Woody Allen's better comedies and I haven't seen Used Cars since the early eighties.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks