What's new

Twilight Time Announces March/April 2014 Releases (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
mikeyhitchfan said:
Any chance of getting some MGM/UA Hitchcock releases like The Paradine Case, Sabotage or Young And Innocent?
I don't think there is a "MGM/UA" owned by the company outright. The Selznik pictures are currently part of a sublicensing deal from ABC that I doubt TT is able to be part of. The Paradine Case might still be a possible, but the British era films that were part of the Fox/MGM DVD set seem to be a one-time deal they made with ITV/Granada. Those two are entirely in Criterion's ballpark now.

Lifeboat seems to be the only Hitchcock film that has a strong chance of a TT release, but that's assuming Criterion doesn't beat them to the punch or that Fox won't won't give it a wider retail release themselves.
dana martin said:
with Fox and MGM's Montagram holdings that magic word was written in this thread...... Chan
I'm not quite sure the TT model is best for these. The Chans seem best served as boxed sets or at least double features. Selling them as singles would be extremely expensive in the long run. If Fox ever released a complete blu-ray set, it would probably go for somewhere around what the James Bond blu-ray set went for.

Still, maybe a few of the "best of Charlie Chan" might make it to blu-ray through and it would be an interesting way to guage just how many Chan fans out there are interested in double dipping for HD Chans.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I have to agree with JoHud, if there is a market for the Chan films on BD, TT is probably not the best solution for them. It would be enormously expensive. Also, although the DVDs looked very good, the lack of original elements (especially for the Oland films) would tend to limit the "wow" factor of a BD.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
JoHud said:
I don't think there is a "MGM/UA" owned by the company outright. The Selznik pictures are currently part of a sublicensing deal from ABC that I doubt TT is able to be part of. The Paradine Case might still be a possible, but the British era films that were part of the Fox/MGM DVD set seem to be a one-time deal they made with ITV/Granada. Those two are entirely in Criterion's ballpark now.

Lifeboat seems to be the only Hitchcock film that has a strong chance of a TT release, but that's assuming Criterion doesn't beat them to the punch or that Fox won't won't give it a wider retail release themselves.

I'm not quite sure the TT model is best for these. The Chans seem best served as boxed sets or at least double features. Selling them as singles would be extremely expensive in the long run. If Fox ever released a complete blu-ray set, it would probably go for somewhere around what the James Bond blu-ray set went for.

Still, maybe a few of the "best of Charlie Chan" might make it to blu-ray through and it would be an interesting way to guage just how many Chan fans out there are interested in double dipping for HD Chans.
Steve...O said:
I have to agree with JoHud, if there is a market for the Chan films on BD, TT is probably not the best solution for them. It would be enormously expensive. Also, although the DVDs looked very good, the lack of original elements (especially for the Oland films) would tend to limit the "wow" factor of a BD.
agreed that it would probably be better suited to smaller boxed sets, or possibly a large box from Fox/MGM.

as for the issues of lack of original elements, there have been other releases where the original elements were no longer available, that have still been amazing, King Kong 33, so you never know, sorry not meaning to hijack this thread, back to your scheduled programing, and during the commercial look for our "Smile of Cars" don't leave out the s

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My main interest is in films from the 40's and 50's so my purchases from TT have slipped a bit this year. I am hoping they will release a few box sets, at least dip a toe in like they are doing for 3-D, and Chan would be a good place to start, although on another thread I was wishing for the Michael Shayne set.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but I just found out about Conrack coming from Twilight Time.
It is one of my all time favorite films. Inspirational, heartbreaking, and superbly acted(Voight's best role in my opinion).
It got missed on dvd, but that is fine, as now it will be coming properly to home video.
An isolated score from John Williams will be the icing on the cake.
Thank you Twilight Time for making a dream of mine come true :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
ShellOilJunior said:
I'm in for Broadway Danny Rose. Hopefully it's the last WA film TT has rights on.
Why? MGM surely isn't gonna give us much more, or any. TT may be the only way we will finally get all the non-Mirimax titles. (Who owns the Allen Mirimax stuff now? I can't even keep track. I so-o-o want BULLETS OVER BROADWAY and MIGHTY APHRODITE!). But TT could still provide us with PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO, SHADOWS AND FOG, ZELIG, and all missing United Artists titles MGM is sitting on, including BANANAS, LOVE AND DEATH, etc. Oh, and Paramount owns PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM. I think we'll see that one turn up shortly from someone.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Richard V said:
Used Cars, All the King's Men, and ESPECIALLY Conrak for me, a film that is SHAMEFULLY long, long, long overdue.. Now if someone at Twilight Time would discover Where the Lillies Bloom I'd have another of my Holy Grails.
WHERE THE LILIES BLOOM is a very special, but practically forgotten film. It has some of the same plot points that Jack Clayton's earlier OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE had -- children trying to disguise the death of a parent so they won't be hauled off to an orphanage. Marvelous film that needs to be rediscovered. I second your request!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Dick said:
Why? MGM surely isn't gonna give us much more, or any. TT may be the only way we will finally get all the non-Mirimax titles. (Who owns the Allen Mirimax stuff now? I can't even keep track. I so-o-o want BULLETS OVER BROADWAY and MIGHTY APHRODITE!). But TT could still provide us with PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO, SHADOWS AND FOG, ZELIG, and all missing United Artists titles MGM is sitting on, including BANANAS, LOVE AND DEATH, etc. Oh, and Paramount owns PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM. I think we'll see that one turn up shortly from someone.
I don't know who's distributing Miramax films these days; haven't heard a peep. Bullets is always a fun choice. I'd order Purple Rose the second it was made available.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
trajan said:
I'm hoping for HAWAII and MISSISSIPPI BURNING next from TT.
I'd go for Hawaii if it was the "restored" roadshow version that made it to vhs, but never made it to dvd. I won't hold my breath, but it'd be an immediate purchase for me.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Twilight Time said:
Yes, that's the way it shakes out, although we are mindful of the fact that releasing 5 titles per month places a strain on those who like to collect all our releases…but in a sense it's the law of physics, the more studios that come on board ( and we are currently negotiating with another), the more titles we are obligated to put out…but we'll soon learn if we are trying to do too much too soon...
I'll go nuts if it's Universal. Well, any of the majors would be good news. I have a long, long list of movies I wish you could handle...

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
MIGHTY APHRODITE is available in an all-region subs-optional Swedish BD put out by AtlanticFilm that one can order from DaaVeeDee (they take PayPal). It's looks wonderful and goes for about $21. Do avoid the Spanish BD that may appear also and is titled PODEROSO AERODITA as it is Region B locked. This is why I hope the next TT titles will feature films that haven't had a BD release anywhere. I'm also praying they give us at least one more wide screen epic a la THE EGYPTIAN. I only buy the classic titles and the pickings are getting pretty meager out there for me (besides KHARTOUM, many thanks) . Still, I suppose it is good to save the large amounts of cash I would have happily spent on BDs of the thousands of beloved classic films still lost in limbo.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I am sure some have heard the news - Twilight Time will be releasing Two Rode Together as well as The Man From Laramie sometime in 2014, and it looks like a great year with titles coming from MGM as well. It could be a problem for some of us with around 50 or more releases coming out.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Brent Avery said:
I am sure some have heard the news - Twilight Time will be releasing Two Rode Together as well as The Man From Laramie sometime in 2014, and it looks like a great year with titles coming from MGM as well. It could be a problem for some of us with around 50 or more releases coming out.
I hadn't heard about Two Rode Together! Many thanks.

I for one will pre-order these two Westerns at the first opportunity. They're both Columbia films so I assume Grover Crisp and his team will have weaved their usual magic. My question is when will they come? The Man From Laramie was announced a long time ago.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Ed Lachmann said:
MIGHTY APHRODITE is available in an all-region subs-optional Swedish BD put out by AtlanticFilm that one can order from DaaVeeDee (they take PayPal). It's looks wonderful and goes for about $21.
Actually, it is (currently) $26. plus $4. shipping. Too rich for my blood. BULLETS OVER BROADWAY, also from Daaveedee is only two bucks less.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Twilight Time said:
Thanks, Steve, we learn a lot about our business from your dinky charts and graphs…as you can see though, our commitment to the 1960s is rock-solid, and we have, mostly through our new deal with MGM/UA, greater access to classics from the 1970s than we had before (the 70s being a seminal decade in American filmmaking.) However, we have backed away a little bit from the 1950s, which is undoubtedly the most challenging decade sales-wise…we still have quite a few in the hopper but they have to be more strategically placed, meaning grouped with titles that are likely better sellers. In 2013 we released 28 titles, in 2014, we anticipate releasing a minimum of 56. While this may ultimately prove to be a foolhardy step-up in output, by this time next year we will have a real handle on the Blu-ray market, and will tailor our schedule accordingly in 2015...

all best,

Nick.

Brad here (from Kyrsten Brad on Facebook). Just a reminder while you're at it Nick, don't forget about a blu-ray for Skatetown USA.

===============================================================================
From the Xanadu thread:
I'm still hoping that someone (read Twilight Time) might release the other two "roller disco" flicks from this era, Skatetown USA and Roller Boogie to complete "the devil's unholy trilogy of godawful Eighties roller disco flicks meant to destroy mankind's collective sense of good taste once and for all". Particularily Skatetown USA since that has never had a VHS, DVD or LaserDisc release.

Links:

Patrick Swayze's Roller Disco Number on Skatetown USA (YouTube)

Skatetown USA Trailer

iVillage Article on Skatetown USA

OddCulture (Worst Movies Ever Made) Article.

BuzzFeed Article on Skatetown USA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks