What's new

TWILIGHT TIME 4th Birthday Celebration...The titles! (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Blind buys are always a tough thing for me. With very rare exceptions I just don't like spending money on titles that I have never seen. As TT titles are limited issue I try to see as many of the films they release as possible before a purchase so I don't get stiffed on owning a film I'd really like to have on the shelf. Thankfully between Netflix disc rental, Netflix Instant, Amazon Prime Instant, etc. I've seen the majority of the library and specifically the discounted titles. However, the following are simply unavailable by these means. Any strong blind buy recommendations?

High Time

The Only Game in Town

Riff-Raff (I've seen Raining Stones and wouldn't want to own that one if on its own release)

Under Fire

Resurrected

Save Your Legs!

Bandit Queen

I suppose most of these are likely to be around next year if they have another anniversary sale, so I'll have more time to track them down for a rental. (Under Fire is technically available via Netfix disc rental, but has been at Very Long Wait status for months now...)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I hear ya re: blind buys. Especially when they cost $30 bucks. But I've been very lucky with the TT ones I've made. I don't think there's been one I regretted.

Of the ones you listed, I have Save Your Legs and I enjoyed it quite a lot. But your mileage may vary. A bit predictable, but still worthwhile. Fun. Especially for $14.95 instead of $24.95. ;)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Brandon Conway said:
...Any strong blind buy recommendations?

High Time

The Only Game in Town

Riff-Raff (I've seen Raining Stones and wouldn't want to own that one if on its own release)

Under Fire

Resurrected

Save Your Legs!

Bandit Queen

Under Fire, definitely.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Brandon Conway said:
Blind buys are always a tough thing for me. With very rare exceptions I just don't like spending money on titles that I have never seen. As TT titles are limited issue I try to see as many of the films they release as possible before a purchase so I don't get stiffed on owning a film I'd really like to have on the shelf. Thankfully between Netflix disc rental, Netflix Instant, Amazon Prime Instant, etc. I've seen the majority of the library and specifically the discounted titles. However, the following are simply unavailable by these means. Any strong blind buy recommendations?

High Time

The Only Game in Town

Under Fire

Resurrected

Save Your Legs!

Bandit Queen

The Riff-Raff/Raining Stones double feature is problematic because there are no subtitles. Some of the English dialogue is indecipherable to American ears.

My review of Bandit Queen might help you decide on that one.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
JohnMor said:
I hear ya re: blind buys. Especially when they cost $30 bucks. But I've been very lucky with the TT ones I've made. I don't think there's been one I regretted.

Of the ones you listed, I have Save Your Legs and I enjoyed it quite a lot. But your mileage may vary. A bit predictable, but still worthwhile. Fun. Especially for $14.95 instead of $24.95. ;)

The punctuation mark after Save Your Legs! was well earned...one of the biggest surprises among TT's Film 4 acquisitions*. I hadn't heard boo about this title, so it was the blindest possible blind buy. Wonderful feel-good fun though, and the disc looked/sounded great.

* My favourite Film 4 titles to date are Rita, Sue, and Bob Too, When the Wind Blows, and Fever Pitch. The Loach films were engaging slice of U.K. working class life, but both films could have benefitted from subtitles...I mean, my mother's side of the family was hardcore Brit, and I was still lost for long stretches here.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
ROclockCK said:
The punctuation mark after Save Your Legs! was well earned...one of the biggest surprises among TT's Film 4 acquisitions*. I hadn't heard boo about this title, so it was the blindest possible blind buy. Wonderful feel-good fun though, and the disc looked/sounded great.

* My favourite Film 4 titles to date are Rita, Sue, and Bob Too, When the Wind Blows, and Fever Pitch. The Loach films were engaging slice of U.K. working class life, but both films could have benefitted from subtitles...I mean, my mother's side of the family was hardcore Brit, and I was still lost for long stretches here.

When the Wind Blows was another blind buy for me. LOVED it. And the wonderful Jimmy Murakami: Non-Alien documentary included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks