What's new

TWILIGHT TIME 4th Birthday Celebration...The titles! (1 Viewer)

JoeDeM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
GlennF said:
Definitely some titles I will pick up. With our crappy Canadian dollar it has been hard to get my head around buying from Twilight Time lately as it works out to about $37.50 a title, plus shipping, so this makes them more psychologically doable. Decisions,,,,decisions.

I feel your pain, now the hard part is picking what I want, without breaking the bank.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Took advantage of the sale to send a quintet of discounted titles to a friend of mine who just got into blu-ray last October...the whole package cost $107.20 including shipping for 5 movies: "All The King's Men", "Cover Girl", "Born Yesterday", "Inherit The Wind" & "Birdman Of Alcatraz". I already have all the titles I want from the sale.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
lukejosephchung said:
Took advantage of the sale to send a quintet of discounted titles to a friend of mine who just got into blu-ray last October...the whole package cost $107.20 including shipping for 5 movies: "All The King's Men", "Cover Girl", "Born Yesterday", "Inherit The Wind" & "Birdman Of Alcatraz". I already have all the titles I want from the sale.
Lucky friend! Looking for any new friends Luke?

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
lukejosephchung said:

Luke, do you own the T/T Cover Girl? If so, what are your thoughts of it? I've read differing opinions regarding the transfer quality and have been on the fence about purchasing it since its release, however, at this price may need to pull the trigger.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I picked up 6 TT titles (including LEAVE HER which is under 100 copies) + the Kritzerland double CD of Stormy Weather. This is my 1st Kritzerland purchase and hopefully not the last.

Thank you Nick (and Bruce)!

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Lots of great choices, but I'm still scratching my head over the Sound and the Fury. We're asked to believe that Yul Brynner was born and raised in Mississippi, and the actress playing his mother, the southern matriarch, sounds as if she just stepped off a boat at Ellis Island. If you loved the book, you'll hate the movie.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
JoelA said:
Luke, do you own the T/T Cover Girl? If so, what are your thoughts of it? I've read differing opinions regarding the transfer quality and have been on the fence about purchasing it since its release, however, at this price may need to pull the trigger.
"Cover Girl" was a problematic transfer for Sony's Grover Crisp to extract from what they had in Columbia's film vaults, so it's not a movie that will "wow" Technicolor fans of that era, but it's prime vintage-era Rita Hayworth and well worth having for the entertainment value...it IS, however, a significant step up in quality from all PREVIOUS home theater incarnations. Just not what you'd consider state-of-the-art...

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
The Obsolete Man said:
I hadn't ever bought any titles from TT, but a new interest in Blu and, hey sale!, meant I picked up Philadelphia, The Buddy Holly Story, Man From Laramie, and Bye Bye Birdie.

Nice little Sony 4k-sourced cache there Robert. None have looked or sounded remotely this good on home video...especially Holly and Laramie.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
JoelA said:
I only purchased this because it was sale-priced. It is a bare-bones disc. No trailer, no isolated score. Nada.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
lukejosephchung said:
"Cover Girl" was a problematic transfer for Sony's Grover Crisp to extract from what they had in Columbia's film vaults, so it's not a movie that will "wow" Technicolor fans of that era, but it's prime vintage-era Rita Hayworth and well worth having for the entertainment value...it IS, however, a significant step up in quality from all PREVIOUS home theater incarnations. Just not what you'd consider state-of-the-art...

Thanks for your thoughts Luke. I love this movie and have owned the vhs, ld, and two dvd incarnations of it, so if it's that much of an upgrade from the last dvd, I'll buy it.
Dick said:
I only purchased this because it was sale-priced. It is a bare-bones disc. No trailer, no isolated score. Nada.

Thanks Rick.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
First I did a pre-Zoe's for April Love (1957).

Now compiling new shopping cart for sale titles:

Used Cars (1980)
In Like Flint (1967)
High Time (1962)
Sleepless in Seattle (1993) for my wife.
Brannigan (1975)
When The Wind Blows (1986)
Man From Laramie (1957)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
JoelA said:

Joel,

This is what Robert Harris told me:

"Seems to be a problem with an optically exposed IP from the original negatives, and a huge contrast gain. I'm told that the original negs are no longer in good condition, and there may be no fine grains. This may be as good as it gets."

If you're expecting eye-popping Technicolor, you will be disappointed. Otherwise, for $20 you'll have a very enjoyable Blu-ray.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like "Leave Her To Heaven" has sold out. It was less than 50 Copies a couple hours ago so I guess folks gobbled up

the last copies.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
Just ordered INHERIT THE WIND on Blu-ray. I'm sure it'll be worth it, even though the total price of 29.9 dollars equals about 95 in my country's currency! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks