Twilight Samurai

Discussion in 'DVD' started by StevenFC, Dec 30, 2004.

1. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

I was thinking of buying the DVD of Twilight Samurai. Would anyone care to comment on the quality of both the DVD and the movie?

2. Juan M. Rico

Juan M. Rico Stunt Coordinator

Good and Amazing.

3. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

The movie is excellent. It has Hiroyuki Sanada, who was great in Last Samurai.If you like Kurosawa and samurai films you should enjoy it.Although it is a 2002 film it had a small theaterical release here in the US this year so I was able to cheat a bit and put it in my top10 for the year. Heres the review that made me want to pick it up...

http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=5952

I was unaware this was available in R1.

I picked up the R3 disc awhile ago and its 16x9 with a 5.1 soundtrack. But its a quiet film so if the R1 DVD doesnt have a 5.1 dont let that discourage you from getting it.

4. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I looked this up on dvdpricesearch.com and a couple of places are listing the R1 as full frame. Are the websites wrong?

5. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
  6. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

7. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I have the R3, and it is a pleasant DVD if unremarkable. The film on the other hand is wonderful.

8. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Well, just bought and watched it. Very good movie. The video is ok. Not bad and not great. Serviceable I guess. Unfortunately it's not anamorphic. Normally I would zoom the picture in this situation, but subtitles make that problematic. Apparently the region 1 disc I bought is the only version that isn't anamorphic. Bummer. When oh when will I buy a region-free player? :b

It does have a couple of nice interviews with Hiroyuki Sanada and Yoji Yamada. Sanada's interview is in English.

I'd say it's worth buying if you aren't able to view one of the anamorphic versions, just don't expect a Warner-like presentation.

9. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I rented the film through Netflix because of the issues I read about with the picture quality. It really is a wonderful film and deserves much better than it got in the R1 release.