Twilight - Breaking Dawn Part 2 - quick thoughts

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I'll go ahead and risk ridicule from the peanut gallery, and post some thoughts on the final film in the Twilight franchise: Breaking Dawn Part 2.
Suffice it to say, if you haven't seen part 1, there are some spoilers from that film in this mini-review, mainly about Bella Swan and her development.
So: spoilers ahoy! (mainly from the last film)
As a final chapter, the film wraps up this cast of characters, but the central conflict of the film comes from the presence of Renesmee, the child of Bella and Edward, and how such a child presents a danger to vampires staying under the radar. and has raised the curiousity of the Volturi, and an unwelcome visit by them to the Cullens homestead.
Well, besides dealing with Bella's new ways, and Jacob's new position in the "family", there are some really clunky jokes and attempts at humor, but the target audience will eat it up. Once the "save the child/stand your ground" plot kicks in, the film turns into an international episode of "Vampire Heroes" (a la "Heroes" from NBC a few years ago), and the eventual confrontation between them and the Volturi.
There is a nice visual rundown of all of the characters from the entire Twilight Saga at the end of the film.
I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+, mainly for tying it all up, even if the bow was a little too neat and tidy.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Okay, I'll go ahead and risk ridicule from the peanut gallery...
I gotta ask what is the breakdown of the audience when you see this movie in a theater? Is it all tween-age girls and their parents and you stick out like a sore thumb or are there a number of adult males there? I know when I see Pixar movies, there's always a ton of kids & parents and I look some raincoat wearing pervert (when the reality is that I just like good movies) but I'm curious if that's how it is with Twilight.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Patrick Sun said:
Okay, I'll go ahead and risk ridicule from the peanut gallery.
My hats off to you. I've seen the first three and thought briefly about taking in the double feature but the theater was showing TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD at the same time so I went for it. My girlfriend hates movies so I usually end up going alone, which I don't mind but I'm always a little nervous going into certain movies. MAGIC MIKE? Oh no. I'm even a little worried about going into, as Travis said, Pixar movies because some might not know I love film and might take me being alone in there the wrong way.
Back on topic, the entire Twilight craze just amazes me. The theater pretty much shut down every other movie playing (except MOCKINGBIRD) to show this thing and when my movie was over I came out and have never seen so many women in one place. I honestly saw maybe one or two guys but there were lines everywhere with them waiting to get into the theater. I love some of the conversations I heard leaving but the greatest was one girl crying her eyes out and it reached a point to where I thought it was dangerous. At first I thought she had gotten a phone call saying that her parents were brutally murdered and all of her younger brothers had done the crime before joining a suicide club. However, after listening to her, it turned out that she didn't know what to do with her life because the series was coming to an end. Her friend, who was holding her, just kept telling her that it would be hard but somehow they'd find a way to get through it.
I had a friend who went to one of the 10pm showings and said that girls were just throwing themselves down on the floor afterwards crying. Said the entire thing was a real mess.
Anywho, I"ve seen the first three but will probably wait to watch the final two together on DVD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Typically, a Twilight crowd is a bunch of teenage girls sitting together, or 30/40-something year old women in a group, or couples (girl and guy). :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Typically, a Twilight crowd is a bunch of teenage girls sitting together, or 30/40-something year old women in a group, or couples (girl and guy). :D
I'd say I feel bad for that dude but he must be getting a piece after the movie so he paid the price. :)
Michael Elliott said:
MAGIC MIKE? Oh no.
I caught that at a matinee and there was almost all older single guys there. I sorta wish I had gone to an opening night screening just to hear the reaction from a bunch of pent-up housewives because I bet that was pretty funny. Since it was Soderbergh, I figured the movie would be good but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. If someone wants to see guys take off their shirts, there's plenty of that for them to enjoy but there's more to the movie than just that.
I'm even a little worried about going into, as Travis said, Pixar movies because some might not know I love film and might take me being alone in there the wrong way.
I saw an interview with John Waters saying that when he sees kids' movies in the theater, there's always a moat of empty seats around him no matter how crowded it is. I know the feeling.
As for Twilight, I didn't like the first three movies (and I HATED the second one) but I know I'll eventually see the fourth and fifth entries. You could say that I never learn but it's more that I want to at least give the movies a chance rather than blindly jumping on the "Twilight sucks" bandwagon.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I saw this with my wife, daughter, sister, sister-in-law and two of her friends on Saturday. The theater wad around half-full. I have seen all the films in the series but this is the first in the theater. I enjoyed it (flame on) and thought the battle climax was pretty cool. (My brother asked me which camp I was in and I answered "Alice's." ) I saw Lincoln the same day with my wife and kids in a different theater.
I was very surprised that Lincoln was showing on only one screen at both venues and TTS: BDP2 was playing on 6 screens. (Lincoln was packed, btw. People applauded at the end too.)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An Elvis Fan