What's new

Twentieth Century Fox will make 100 films available digitally for the first time ever (1 Viewer)

FamilyFunTime

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karen
Yorkshire said:
I've nothing against a move to digital in principle.

However, I have a couple of issues.

In the UK at least (not sue about the US) many of us have internet speeds too slow to stream. Even for those with speeds more than fast enough, there's the occasionally stutter and loss of service,

Meanwhile, Amazon (my retailer of choice) only lets me download any film I 'buy' from them on to a Kindle Fire, which can hold maybe 2 HD films at once.

So firstly, I need to be able to download and keep. You know what would work for me? A Fire TV box with a built in 1TB HDD, to which you can download content, a la the Kindle Fire tablet.

Build in a UHD drive and there's a product to behold.

Secondly, the HD films at Amazon are c.8GB each. Give me a download equivalent of a Blu-ray Disc. I'll pay more!

In short, I'd like to own all of my films on physical disc, but I appreciate that some simply won't sell enough to warrant a release. The studios have the films on digital files, but don't want to risk pressing several thousand copies which may not sell. That means it's download or nothing, and I'm not a big fan of nothing. But I need to be able to download & keep, and I'd like a little less compression.

Steve W

Hey There Steve...I used to work on the 'Rez' where speeds were 1M on a good day. It was to-o-o-r-r-rture. Fortunately, VUDU in the U.S. gives me lots of options for devices and such.

You can still reap the advantages of a digital library even though your wifi is slow. Real time streaming is just one way to enjoy your 'forever' movies. Here's how I worked around my cruddy Internet speeds while building the 1000+ movie library that I enjoy without issue today. BTW, can you imagine having to store and sort through over 1,000 physical discs/cases? No thanks!

1. The grocery store/town was 90 minutes away. I went once every week or two, parked near the McDonalds in the same parking lot and downloaded some movies to my fully charged laptop while I was shopping (they had free wi-fi). Of course, I have VUDU so any device would work.

2. I downloaded movies at the slow speed while I was sleeping and watched them later, without any glitches.

VUDU works with all my devices. My Mac Air, Toshiba Laptop, ASUS Netbook, Galaxy phones, families PCs and our wifi enabled blu-ray players are all currently recognized by my VUDU account. Also, because I share, my family has been able to select and download movies to watch wherever they are (I have the first position for streaming privileges as an agreement between us if it gets too crowded).

If AMAZON limits you in ways VUDU doesn't, maybe it's time to re-think your provider. Not only do I enjoy great flexibility with my U.S. VUDU account, there are MANY ways to save money when getting the movies. I don't know how it's set up in Europe for now but I can't imagine it wouldn't be as great as it is over here at some point in the future, if it isn't already.

Here's how I have saved a LOT of money building my VUDU library, which I will never lose to burglars, accidental damage, or deterioration again:

1. Buy physical sets with complimentary digital copies, redeem the code then sell the physical set to recoup some of the cost (eBay, Spring cleaning yard sale or Swap Meet space, donate to charity and write off on taxes, etc).

2. Buy discounted sets with digital copies, or that will 'convert' into VUDU, from eBay suppliers. They sell below retail all the time (eBay guarantees your purchase in case the code doesn't work and seller won't refund).

3. Buy movie sets with complimentary VUDU credits (we have periodic promo sets with $2 and $5 in credits-you can use 4 or 5 from a 'series' on one account). Once they accumulate, use them only to buy movies that won't up-convert, don't come with complimentary digital copies, or are on VUDU's monthly 'red tag' sale. If the movie that came with the credits will convert, don't use those credits to buy its digital version. Convert it for $2 then sell the physical disc and bank the credits toward a different movie.

4. If you find a used disc (fifty cents at some Goodwill stores) and the movie is one that will 'convert' into VUDU, you can add it to your digital library for $2. If it's a blu-ray you'll get the HDX version of the movie for $2.50. Let's see Amazon touch that! If you can take it to a place for conversion like we can over here (Walmart photo center), it doesn't matter if the disc won't play or is broken. I would jump on this as much as possible while it's still available.

5. Buy unwanted digital copies for CHEAP in forums like this while you can!

6. Partner up with a trusted family member and share your access information so you can watch one another's movies. Why buy the same one twice? You both save a lot of money. My sister and I have an alphabetical master list that is updated every time either of us adds a movie. It's a shared file so we can see it on any device while we're lounging or shopping. We have never had a problem.

With all the benefits of a digital library, why complain over an occasional stutter? Keep the faith. Whatever the current situation in Europe, it can only get better, just as it has over here in the U.S..

Check out the VUDU service in Europe. If it's as good or close, you can really save money while building your library. High quality digital copies can be had for so much less than physical discs right now. That's sure to change as more people move in that direction.

In the meantime, maybe someone should start a thread for Canadian and European digital code exchanges since it would be difficult to sift through all the U.S. codes available? Maybe you can start a new post titled "UK Digital Copies For Sale" and someone else can start one titled "Canadian Digital Codes Sold Here" etc...

I hope this information has helped. I'm off to bake those Christmas cookies...Happy Holidays Everyone! =)

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
BOY ON A DOLPHIN is now streaming on ITUNES. Good news it is widescreen/ anamorphic. Bad news it is not in HD, and the SD transfer is barely adequate. Disappointing...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I think it might be wise to hold up on "Fox 100" digital platform purchases. Several of these titles have been licensed to Kino (Blu-ray) since they released this list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sgcapone
Recent bookmarks