What's new

Twentieth Century Fox will make 100 films available digitally for the first time ever (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
gcardu10 said:
I do have one question. I have never purchased a movie digitally before and my fear is that if I purchase a title and it goes out of print, etc., that Apple could delete it from my account, without my having any say in the issue. Is this a valid concern?

That's not supposed to happen. In theory, items are supposed to stay in your account regardless of whether or not they still in print. If they go out of print, customers won't be able to make a new purchase of an that title, but people who have already purchased it should have it in perpetuity. If you buy the movie specifically from the iTunes store, you have the option of streaming it as well as downloading a file that can be stored on a hard drive, so if you want to be extra sure to keep it, be sure to download the file on your computer.

The only example I'm aware of with purchases disappearing has to do with the Disney release of "Bedknobs & Broomsticks". When that title was first made available for sale digitally, it was the extended version which runs about 139 minutes. Last year, Disney released the movie on Blu-ray for the first time, but only the shorter theatrical version (which is about 117 minutes). Users have reported that around that time, the 139 minute version of the movie they had purchased had been replaced on Vudu and iTunes with the 117 minute version. So that's really not cool. But other than that one specific example from Disney, I'm not aware of it happening with other studios.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Ronald Epstein said:
I think the boutique companies will continue to flourish as the studios continue to diminish catalog output.

(Going far offtopic).

My uninformed speculation is that physical media will probably be around in some form or another, as long as there's enough Boomers still buying. (ie. Still alive and not riddled with alzheimer, etc ...).

I don't know if there's enough GenX'ers to sustain the physical media market.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Patrick Donahue said:

Some key points from that article:

Purchased films can be viewed any time (via streaming) or anywhere (including offline, via a digital download to your device).

“I like to watch movies on my TV, not my telephone!” I heard a naysayer grumble... let me say this here (even though most of you know it already): buying or renting a film digitally does not mean you have to watch it on a computer, tablet or smartphone. Films available digitally in Fox’s Century of Cinema series can be viewed on your TV in HD via easy-to-use streaming players like Apple TV, Roku or the Amazon Fire TV. And once you own a film digitally, you own it. No backsies.

and the clincher:

“[Digital] allows you to have more of your catalog readily available, because you put it on iTunes and it stays there,” Mike Dunn, president of 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, told Variety. “You’re not being judged by how many units it sells.”

I realize this won't convince many of the people here who have ownership anxiety issues, and like many I currently prefer Blu-ray as it provides better image quality. But keep in mind that it's early days yet for digital movies. I look forward to the very near future when digital download and streaming not only provide better image quality than disc, but also the opportunity to select from the widest possible catalog of classic titles straight away, instead of being drip-fed releases on disc over many, many years.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
We just got an ipad, have an iPhone and galaxy 5 have a chrome cast and have a 2011 Era Panasonic smart tv. How do we buy these movies to watch them on the TV or iPad or phone interchangeably from a single purchase? I've wanted to watch men without women and me and my gal for years!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One point I like to make here. Because Disney Movies Anywhere syncs with Vudu, you'll be able to watch these iTunes purchases through your Roku units too whether using VUDU, Flixster and etc. Edit: Only Disney titles are available using Disney Movies Anywhere.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Robert Crawford said:
One point I like to make here. Because Disney Movies Anywhere syncs with UV, you'll be able to watch these iTunes purchases through your Roku units too whether using VUDU, Flixster and etc.
Good try Robert. I'm sure a lot of people will correct you on that one. It's Disney Movies Anywhere that cross-connects their titles only. Disney has no power over Fox titles.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Adam_S said:
We just got an ipad, have an iPhone and galaxy 5 have a chrome cast and have a 2011 Era Panasonic smart tv. How do we buy these movies to watch them on the TV or iPad or phone interchangeably from a single purchase? I've wanted to watch men without women and me and my gal for years!
If Chromecast is the device you use on the TV, I'd suggest buying the movies on Vudu. Vudu connects to Chromecast so you can get it on your TV that way. And there's a Vudu app for iPad and iPhone, so just download that app on the iPad/iPhone and you can then view the movie on the iPad/iPhone as well.

Most Vudu purchases also connect to Ultraviolet, so you can also access those purchases interchangeably between any of the other services that also link to UV, like Flixster.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark-P said:
Good try Robert. I'm sure a lot of people will correct you on that one. It's Disney Movies Anywhere that cross-connects their titles only. Disney has no power over Fox titles.
I don't know what you mean by that comment?

Anyhow, I just logged into my Apple account and you're right, only the Disney titles I can access thru Disney Movies Anywhere on my Vudu account. I have several other titles from other studios that I bought on iTunes that don't appear on my Vudu account, but are still available to access thru my Apple account.

P

Patrick Donahue

Adam_S said:
I'm glad there are some movies in this list you are excited about seeing. As I keep saying, it's about the movies, not the format.

Currently these titles are only available through iTunes, so the Chromecast won't be if any help to watch them on your TV. I highly recommend getting an Apple TV for $69 to do that. One purchase through iTunes will allow you to watch them on any of your Apple devices.

P

Patrick Donahue

Robert Crawford said:
I just logged into my Apple account and you're right, only the Disney titles I can access thru Disney Movies Anywhere on my Vudu account. I have several other titles from other studios that I bought on iTunes that don't appear on my Vudu account, but are still available to access thru my Apple account.
Correct. Just to clarify what you said in your first post, Robert, for anyone who might be new to streaming - Disney Movies Anywhere syncs to both Vudu and iTunes, but has no connection whatsoever to UV...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I would be interested to know people's opinion on any of the Fox Technicolor films available for streaming and whether there has been any improvement over what has been available. New York Film Festival is screening a restored version of " Heaven Can Wait" Ernst Lubitsch first color film. I wonder what can be done with the elements that exist. I would guess they would add this to the films available for streaming soon.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In the text of the original press release, the writer incorrectly refers to a 1949 film called Mr.Belvedere Goes to Washington. I'm glad to see in the listing itself, the proper name is given: Mr. Belvedere Goes to College.

P

Patrick Donahue

Ken Koc said:
Why are the titles only available through ITunes? Apple TV is so limiting.
Vudu finally put one title up - How to Marry a Millionaire - although it's worth noting that it's not UV enabled. Others will get the titles, iTunes is just more on the ball about such things.

I think Apple TV is limiting now but let's see what it's like in a few weeks when their App Store is released...

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Ronald Epstein said:
I think the boutique companies will continue to flourish as the studios continue to diminish catalog output.

And yes, Kieth, your son already is immersed in what will be the future of film release.

I just hope that there will be a future for high-quality music listening and film viewing.
May I add in a format that people want to buy and collect. Hopefully Vidity or something similiar does this.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I think this is some of the biggest and greatest news ever. I almost think that Fox went back over my old HTF posts and tried to find titles that I have wanted. Among these, I would note:

Shirley Temple's Poor Little Rich Girl

4 Will Rogers Films: A Connecticut Yankee (1931), Doctor Bull (1933), State Fair (1933), Judge Priest (1934)

Numerous John Ford films including The Black Watch from 1929

Sun Valley Serenade

Several Tyrone Power films

3 Clifton Webb films (but where's Sitting Pretty?)

The tribute documentary Marilyn

Anyway, I'm super excited. Thank you Fox! Now, if I could just figure out this streaming business, I'll be all set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks