What's new

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Boy on a Dolphin is in Cinemascope all the way. I have watched it several times.

Sounds like I should order Marriage Go Round. I will have to give it some thought since I do not like this hit and miss deal going on at Fox. I do not want to reward them. I much prefer TT titles where I know what I am getting.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Brent S said:
Fox's 1996 VHS runs 127 minutes, even though the packaging says 120 minutes. The majority of the Fields story is included, i.e., the tailor shop and the lecture.

If the DVD indeed is 118 minutes, Fields' segment is certainly a question. Or like the VHS, maybe Fox's info is wrong?

Once someone knows for sure, please report.
According to Oldies.com: Due to rights issues, it does not contain the W.C. Fields sequence which was cut from the original movie.
So, I suppose we'll see what happens once I have a chance to view the disc.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
This week's releases:
foursons.jpg
rightapproach.jpg
wakeupanddream.jpg
whitefang.jpg

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
According to Oldies.com THE RIGHT APPROACH is a 4:3. Pan/Scan transfer.
This is, of course, the "norm". It is big news indeed when Fox Archives are gracious enough to release a CinemaScope film in CinemaScope. I am curious to see this little seen film from the '60's, but I will not buy a cropped transfer of ANY movie.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
lionel59 said:
According to Oldies.com THE RIGHT APPROACH is a 4:3. Pan/Scan transfer.
This is, of course, the "norm". It is big news indeed when Fox Archives are gracious enough to release a CinemaScope film in CinemaScope. I am curious to see this little seen film from the '60's, but I will not buy a cropped transfer of ANY movie.
Lionel, I couldn't agree more. I've been waiting to see this film for decades only to receive this slap in the face from Fox Home Entertainment. No, I'm not spending money on this sub-standard fiasco. I'd rather wait in vain than give Fox an incentive to carry on like this.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mark Collins said:
Boy on a Dolphin is in Cinemascope all the way. I have watched it several times.
So the Fox Archive release is anamorphic 2.35:1? I thought I heard it was pan scan?

Thanks.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
So the Fox Archive release is anamorphic 2.35:1? I thought I heard it was pan scan?Thanks.
We were talking about the Fox Movie Channel broadcast of the movie. I didn't even know it had been released on DVD here.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Matt Hough said:
We were talking about the Fox Movie Channel broadcast of the movie. I didn't even know it had been released on DVD here.
Fox Cinema Archive has yet to release Boy on a Dolphin, and considering its track record with CinemaScope titles, I view that as a blessing.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Buyers of international Blu Rays of classic movies may be interested to know that a company here in Australia (VEG-Visual Entertainment Group) have just released THE BOSTON STRANGLER, THE UNFORGIVEN (Huston), EXODUS and some others on Blu Ray for AUS$14.95. Searching on Ebay.com.au or ezydvd.com.au will lead to copies you can purchase. They have the rights to many good classic Fox titles (egs. PEYTON PLACE, THE YOUNG LIONS, THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT) which could be released here first on Blu Ray.
I picked up a local pressed disc of THE SALZBURG CONNECTION yesterday. It is Full Frame, but I think it looks to be an Open Matte transfer. I do not know if the same master was used for the Cinema Archives release.
A pretty good 2.35:1 Letterbox (ie. non-anamorphic) transfer of BOY ON A DOLPHIN was released here by Bounty Entertainment. The color is a little variable on the print but overall, it's worth getting,however it may be wise to wait and see if a Blu Ray version is released here.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Germany released Boy On A Dolphin last month. It's 2.35 letterboxed (not anamorphic) but the transfer is supposed to be quite good.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Non-anamorphic transfers in this day and time is just so pathetic. Of course, I know that's preferable to pan and scan, but really! It's time to bring your catalog into the 21st century!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Justin Ray said:
Fox Cinema Archive has yet to release Boy on a Dolphin, and considering its track record with CinemaScope titles, I view that as a blessing.
Must be my mistake. I thought it was released in the first batch of titles.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Film 4 here in the UK showed Boy on a Dolphin in 2006. It was anamorphic but framed for 1.85 or 1.77. The following year they showed it again but this time it was anamorphic and shown at 2.35.So unless a blu ray release comes along, I shall stick with that version.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
The best news of all regarding these classics coming out for around AUS$14 on Blu Ray is that Fox's 1959 version of JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (with the spelling altered to line up to the way we spell "centre" here) is amongst them. For those who don't want to pay $100 for the OOP Twilight Time Blu Ray, this is most welcome. (Also, for those who don't want to pay for the German import of DOCTOR DOLITTLE with Rex Harrison, this is also being released here for the same price.)
All I need to put the "icing on the cake" is for PEYTON PLACE, with its marvelous location shots in Camden, Maine to be announced next. (it is amongst the 'Hollywood Gold' SD series, as were all of the ones now being released in blu ray)
imgLoading_30x30.gif
$T2eC16R,%21%29UE9s3wCMSpBSEVseT%21D%21~~60_12.JPG

(P.S. Foreign buyers can order these titles from ezydvd.com.au or ebay.com.au sellers who ship internationally)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks