What's new

TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT DEBUTS Manufacture-On-Demand DVD SERIES (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
STAIRCASE - an interesting film with Richard Burton and Rex Harrison. This is the film that Burton was working on in Europe and when Elizabeth Taylor was cast in THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN, she insisted that the Las Vegas story be filmed in Europe so she would be close to Burton. That added heavily to the budget. Fox had some strange films in the late 60's trying to be hip to the times, including MYRA BRECKENRIDGE and BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. Since it appears to be anamorphic widescreen then I'll take a chance.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
According to the specs given at MOVIESUNLIMITED, both A WALK WITH LOVE AND DEATH and THE SALZBURG CONNECTION have been released full frame. They may be Open Matte.
A WALK WITH... is usually broadcast in LBX on the Fox Movie Channel. You would think a Wide Screen master of some caliber should have been easy to locate.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Here are the current and upcoming Fox Archive releases as listed on a press release I received this morning. Of course, there is no mention of aspect ratio with any of them:

Available Now

Romance of the Rio Grande (1941), 73 min.
When a rancher’s grandson is found murdered, The Cisco Kid, played by Cesar Romero, doubles for him in order to see who is plotting to inherit the ranch. The film also stars Patricia Morison and Lynne Roberts.
A Walk with Love and Death (1969), 90 min.
Directed by John Huston, this story set during the Hundred Years’ War follows a student who has abandoned his studies in Paris and pairs with a young noblewoman (Anjelica Huston) with whom he has fallen in love with.
The Salzburg Connection (1972), 93 min.
Barry Newman plays Bill Mathison, an American lawyer on vacation in Austria who gets more than he bargained for. When his photographer vanishes, he becomes involved in an international thriller surrounding a chest that contains the names of Nazi collaborators.

July 23
Hilda Crane (1956), 87 min.
Jean Simmons plays Hilda Crane, a New York City woman who returns to her hometown after two failed marriages. Once there, she entices the town gossip and an ex-lover, only to have his overbearing mother try to sabotage their relationship.
Mardi Gras (1958), 107 min.
A military school cadet (Pat Boone) enters a contest and wins a date for his graduation with a beautiful French movie star (Christine Carère). However, when the two meet during Mardi Gras and hit it off, him not knowing her identity, her agent and the movie studio publicize their romance, putting their love to the test. Mardi Gras was nominated for an Oscar® for Best Music, Scoring of a Musical Picture and won a Golden Laurel® for Top Male Musical Performance (Boone).
A Flea in Her Ear (1968), 94 min.
When a woman (Rosemary Harris) suspects her husband (Rex Harrison) of having an affair, she sets a trap for him but ends up being the one surprised. Louis Jourdan and Rachel Roberts also come along for the wild ride.
Staircase (1969), 98 min.
Based on Charles Dyer's Broadway play about a gay couple, Staircase stars Rex Harrison and Richard Burton as a pair of aging hairdressers in this film directed by Stanley Donen and with original music provided by Dudley Moore.

July 30
No Highway in the Sky (1951), 98 min.
Jimmy Stewart stars as an aeronautical engineer who predicts a new type of airplane will fail after a certain amount of time in the air, and then finds himself onboard one of the doomed planes while headed to a crash site. The film also features Marlene Dietrich and Glynis Johns.
Ramona (1936), 84 min.
Ramona (Loretta Young) is the tempestuous story of a half-Native American girl, raised by a wealthy family, who is loved by the son of the house against his family's wishes. Despondent, Ramona falls in love with a Native American (Don Ameche) employed by the household. The all-star cast also includes Kent Taylor and Pauline Frederick.
April Love (1957), 99 min.
Directed by Henry Levin, the story follows a wayward young man (Pat Boone) who is sent to live on his relatives' Kentucky farm and decides to mend his ways when he falls in love with the neighbor’s daughter (Shirley Jones). This Oscar®-nominated (for Best Music, Original Song) film starring Dolores Michaels and Arthur O'Connell was also nominated for Golden Laurels® in four musical categories.
Sweet and Low-Down (1944), 75 min.
When a young trombonist is given the opportunity of a lifetime to play with Benny Goodman's Orchestra, his growing ego threatens to sabotage him. Starring James Cardwell, Linda Darnell, and Jack Oakie, the film was nominated for an Academy Award® for Best Music, Original Song for “I’m Making Believe.”

August 6
Wake Up and Dream (1946), 92 min.
When Jeff Cairn (John Payne) joins the Navy, he sends his sister Nella (Connie Marshall) to a boarding house, under the supervision of his relatives Sara (Charlotte Greenwood), Henry (Clem Bevans), and his sweetheart Jenny (June Haver). However, when Jeff goes missing in action, Nella aims to venture out in search of her lost brother.
American Guerrilla in the Philippines (1950), 105 min.
Directed by Fritz Lang, Tyrone Power leads the ensemble cast (featuring Micheline Presle, Tom Ewell, Tommy Cook, and Jack Elam) as Ensign Chuck Palmer, an American naval officer stranded after the wreck of Bataan. He leads a band of natives in feats of espionage, thus surviving until MacArthur’s return…and victory.
The Fiend Who Walked West (1958), 100 min.
Director Gordon Douglas’ remake of Kiss of Death from 1947 tells the story about a convicted bank robber who is sent to prison and must find a psychotic killer who threatened his family and is after the loot from his last heist. Hugh O'Brian, Robert Evans, Dolores Michaels, and Linda Cristal are all in on the hunt.

August 13
Dante’s Inferno (1935), 88 min.
After an inspector declares a fair unsafe, a ruthless carnival barker is destroyed by his ambition when he keeps the fair open leading to a fatal disaster. Spencer Tracy leads Claire Trevor, Rita Hayworth and the rest of the cast on an intense adventure of misfortune.
White Fang (1936), 70 min.
Jack London’s story of a feeble brother (Thomas Beck) and a woman (Jean Muir) who inherit a mine in Alaska. When the brother unexpectedly decides to commit suicide, their guide (Michael Whalen) is accused of murder.
Four Sons (1940), 88 min.
Director Archie Mayo brings this story to life about four brothers torn apart by war with a brilliant cast featuring Don Ameche, Eugene Leontovich, and Mary Beth Hughes. When Nazi Germany invades Czechoslovakia, each chooses a different side that will alter their fates forever.
The Right Approach (1961), 91 min.
When a newcomer (Frankie Vaughan) comes to live with five bachelors through his brother in the hills of Los Angeles, he uses each of them in his rise to fame as both a singer and an actor.

August 20
Private Number (1936), 79 min.
When a young woman (Loretta Young) goes to work for a wealthy household as a servant girl, she soon marries the young head of the household, much to the dismay of the arrogant butler who tries to break up the union to get the girl for himself.
Me and My Gal (1932), 79 min.
From director Raoul Walsh, a cop (Spencer Tracy) falls in love with a waitress (Joan Bennett) whose family has gangland ties. His quandary is to put a mobster (George Walsh) away without hurting the woman he loves.
Three Little Girls in Blue (1946), 90 min.
Three blue-garbed farming sisters disguised as an heiress, her secretary, and maid head to Atlantic City in search of rich husbands. June Haver, Vivian Blaine, Celeste Holm, and George Montgomery lead this star-studded cast.
The Sweet Ride (1968), 109 min.
Bob Denver, Anthony Franciosa, and Michael Sarrazin lead an all-star cast about a buddy group living in a Malibu beach house who find a mysterious woman (Jacqueline Bisset) that washes up on shore. Bisset and Sarrazin were both nominated for Golden Globes® for Most Promising Newcomers for their roles.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
"Three Little Girls In Blue" is one of my favourites, but I shudder at the thought of what Fox Archives might dish up.

This movie is yet another 20th Century Fox colorful and tuneful variation of 3 girls in search a rich husband. ( Other Eg. "Moon Over Miami" and "How To Marry a Millionaire")

Like the others this is also very enjoyable, but why oh why did they cast that creepy and talentless Charles Smith as Vera-Ellen's love interest. :blink:
I just cringe at his participation alongside Vera-Ellen in the big production number "You Make Me Feel So Young"
csmith.jpg

That said, you can't change things.
I just hope that it's one of the better Fox Archive discs.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
There are quite a few there I've been waiting for since forever and I too shudder at the thought of what the Fox MOD program will do with them. April Love, The Sweet Ride, Mardi Gras, The Right Approach: I'm nervous; I'm really nervous.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Just as I predicted before - "April Love", not up to par for Twilight Time, has been relegated to the archive.

For those with region-free setups, "No Highway in the Sky" is out on regular pressed DVD in Australia via Shock Entertainment's 'Hollywood Gold' series. "American Guerilla in the Philippines" is coming out on pressed DVD in the United Kingdom.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Whoa! A 1932 movie! Glad they're actually digging into some pre-Zanuck stuff even if it's a lone exception. As with all of these, I hope they've used video transfers from at least the past 15 years--the most I can hope for from this line.

As others, I'm as much worried as I am in anticipation to some of these relatively obscure (and not so obscure) Fox films. The mid-30s films in particular tend to disappoint more often than not in terms of old transfers.

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
classicmovieguy said:
Just as I predicted before - "April Love", not up to par for Twilight Time, has been relegated to the archive.

For those with region-free setups, "No Highway in the Sky" is out on regular pressed DVD in Australia via Shock Entertainment's 'Hollywood Gold' series. "American Guerilla in the Philippines" is coming out on pressed DVD in the United Kingdom.
And "No Highway" is also available in Germany (as "Die Reise Ins Ungewisse").
Alistair

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Thanks for the press release Matt!
What has happened to HARD CONTRACT and THE KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES? I am interested to see the reviews of the upcoming UK release of the latter, but as it was inexpensive to do so, I upgraded my local (Australian) mono KHYBER dvd to the stereo Spanish edition.The image quality appears to be identical to my eyes.
I don't think Twilight Time would have gone so far as to announce APRIL LOVE if they had been offered a pan/scan transfer. I believe there is an excellent chance of a 2-channel stereo anamorphic release of this title with an image quality which may be slightly faded and thus unacceptable to the TT powers-that-be. I hope I am not proved wrong.
I second the motion for approval of pre-Zanuck movies. I would like to see the Constance Bennett pre-Code title COMMON CLAY,though it would mean Fox Archives liaising with the UCLA for their archived print and this may be too much trouble for these folk (any trouble seems to be "too much trouble"...).I'd also like to see a good print of THE BLACK WATCH, John Ford's first talkie and the first version of KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES.( Fox have liaised with UCLA before for pressed releases,by the way. The Murnau/Borzage boxed set being one example).
RAMONA looks impressive on the FMC broadcasts, though that is no guarantee that the same master will be employed by Fox Archives. FOUR SONS is an interesting update of the John Ford silent from WW1 to WW2 and DANTE'S INFERNO apparently borrowed its scenes of Hell from the earlier silent version. Nonetheless, they are the most compelling scenes in the talkie version. An interesting array of titles. If all the wide screen movies are in wide screen, it could indicate that the rumor of change in this area may be genuine.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Matt Hough said:
Here are the current and upcoming Fox Archive releases as listed on a press release I received this morning. Of course, there is no mention of aspect ratio with any of them:

Available Now

Romance of the Rio Grande (1941), 73 min.
When a rancher’s grandson is found murdered, The Cisco Kid, played by Cesar Romero, doubles for him in order to see who is plotting to inherit the ranch. The film also stars Patricia Morison and Lynne Roberts.
A Walk with Love and Death (1969), 90 min.
Directed by John Huston, this story set during the Hundred Years’ War follows a student who has abandoned his studies in Paris and pairs with a young noblewoman (Anjelica Huston) with whom he has fallen in love with.
The Salzburg Connection (1972), 93 min.
Barry Newman plays Bill Mathison, an American lawyer on vacation in Austria who gets more than he bargained for. When his photographer vanishes, he becomes involved in an international thriller surrounding a chest that contains the names of Nazi collaborators.

July 23
Hilda Crane (1956), 87 min.
Jean Simmons plays Hilda Crane, a New York City woman who returns to her hometown after two failed marriages. Once there, she entices the town gossip and an ex-lover, only to have his overbearing mother try to sabotage their relationship.
Mardi Gras (1958), 107 min.
A military school cadet (Pat Boone) enters a contest and wins a date for his graduation with a beautiful French movie star (Christine Carère). However, when the two meet during Mardi Gras and hit it off, him not knowing her identity, her agent and the movie studio publicize their romance, putting their love to the test. Mardi Gras was nominated for an Oscar® for Best Music, Scoring of a Musical Picture and won a Golden Laurel® for Top Male Musical Performance (Boone).
A Flea in Her Ear (1968), 94 min.
When a woman (Rosemary Harris) suspects her husband (Rex Harrison) of having an affair, she sets a trap for him but ends up being the one surprised. Louis Jourdan and Rachel Roberts also come along for the wild ride.
Staircase (1969), 98 min.
Based on Charles Dyer's Broadway play about a gay couple, Staircase stars Rex Harrison and Richard Burton as a pair of aging hairdressers in this film directed by Stanley Donen and with original music provided by Dudley Moore.

July 30
No Highway in the Sky (1951), 98 min.
Jimmy Stewart stars as an aeronautical engineer who predicts a new type of airplane will fail after a certain amount of time in the air, and then finds himself onboard one of the doomed planes while headed to a crash site. The film also features Marlene Dietrich and Glynis Johns.
Ramona (1936), 84 min.
Ramona (Loretta Young) is the tempestuous story of a half-Native American girl, raised by a wealthy family, who is loved by the son of the house against his family's wishes. Despondent, Ramona falls in love with a Native American (Don Ameche) employed by the household. The all-star cast also includes Kent Taylor and Pauline Frederick.
April Love (1957), 99 min.
Directed by Henry Levin, the story follows a wayward young man (Pat Boone) who is sent to live on his relatives' Kentucky farm and decides to mend his ways when he falls in love with the neighbor’s daughter (Shirley Jones). This Oscar®-nominated (for Best Music, Original Song) film starring Dolores Michaels and Arthur O'Connell was also nominated for Golden Laurels® in four musical categories.
Sweet and Low-Down (1944), 75 min.
When a young trombonist is given the opportunity of a lifetime to play with Benny Goodman's Orchestra, his growing ego threatens to sabotage him. Starring James Cardwell, Linda Darnell, and Jack Oakie, the film was nominated for an Academy Award® for Best Music, Original Song for “I’m Making Believe.”

August 6
Wake Up and Dream (1946), 92 min.
When Jeff Cairn (John Payne) joins the Navy, he sends his sister Nella (Connie Marshall) to a boarding house, under the supervision of his relatives Sara (Charlotte Greenwood), Henry (Clem Bevans), and his sweetheart Jenny (June Haver). However, when Jeff goes missing in action, Nella aims to venture out in search of her lost brother.
American Guerrilla in the Philippines (1950), 105 min.
Directed by Fritz Lang, Tyrone Power leads the ensemble cast (featuring Micheline Presle, Tom Ewell, Tommy Cook, and Jack Elam) as Ensign Chuck Palmer, an American naval officer stranded after the wreck of Bataan. He leads a band of natives in feats of espionage, thus surviving until MacArthur’s return…and victory.
The Fiend Who Walked West (1958), 100 min.
Director Gordon Douglas’ remake of Kiss of Death from 1947 tells the story about a convicted bank robber who is sent to prison and must find a psychotic killer who threatened his family and is after the loot from his last heist. Hugh O'Brian, Robert Evans, Dolores Michaels, and Linda Cristal are all in on the hunt.

August 13
Dante’s Inferno (1935), 88 min.
After an inspector declares a fair unsafe, a ruthless carnival barker is destroyed by his ambition when he keeps the fair open leading to a fatal disaster. Spencer Tracy leads Claire Trevor, Rita Hayworth and the rest of the cast on an intense adventure of misfortune.
White Fang (1936), 70 min.
Jack London’s story of a feeble brother (Thomas Beck) and a woman (Jean Muir) who inherit a mine in Alaska. When the brother unexpectedly decides to commit suicide, their guide (Michael Whalen) is accused of murder.
Four Sons (1940), 88 min.
Director Archie Mayo brings this story to life about four brothers torn apart by war with a brilliant cast featuring Don Ameche, Eugene Leontovich, and Mary Beth Hughes. When Nazi Germany invades Czechoslovakia, each chooses a different side that will alter their fates forever.
The Right Approach (1961), 91 min.
When a newcomer (Frankie Vaughan) comes to live with five bachelors through his brother in the hills of Los Angeles, he uses each of them in his rise to fame as both a singer and an actor.

August 20
Private Number (1936), 79 min.
When a young woman (Loretta Young) goes to work for a wealthy household as a servant girl, she soon marries the young head of the household, much to the dismay of the arrogant butler who tries to break up the union to get the girl for himself.
Me and My Gal (1932), 79 min.
From director Raoul Walsh, a cop (Spencer Tracy) falls in love with a waitress (Joan Bennett) whose family has gangland ties. His quandary is to put a mobster (George Walsh) away without hurting the woman he loves.
Three Little Girls in Blue (1946), 90 min.
Three blue-garbed farming sisters disguised as an heiress, her secretary, and maid head to Atlantic City in search of rich husbands. June Haver, Vivian Blaine, Celeste Holm, and George Montgomery lead this star-studded cast.
The Sweet Ride (1968), 109 min.
Bob Denver, Anthony Franciosa, and Michael Sarrazin lead an all-star cast about a buddy group living in a Malibu beach house who find a mysterious woman (Jacqueline Bisset) that washes up on shore. Bisset and Sarrazin were both nominated for Golden Globes® for Most Promising Newcomers for their roles.

Where are the George O'Brien / Zane Grey westerns 1930-5? Where?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
It's simply shoddy, plain and simple. The frustrating thing is, these MOD programmes can work really well, when the time, money and effort is spent. Warner Archive must be laughing their butts off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks