What's new

Tweeters: Morel MDT-30 vs. Vifa XT25 (1 Viewer)

Chris Brock

Second Unit
I use the MDT-30's and I would highly recommend them. they are accurate and have a wonderfully soft sound. very easy to listen to and not harsh at all.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, the XT25 requires a higher crossover point (around 3KHz) or the use of a steeper filter slope than the MDT30, and it's a nominal 4 ohm driver (which may or may not make a difference, depending on the design).

I used the MDT30 for my DIY speaker setup, and can't really complain about its performance at its price point.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard the Morel but I really like my XT25's. As pat mentioned though they're quite different as far as XO design considerations.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
I have three MDT-30's that I am looking to sell. I used them for about a year in my L/C/R speakers in a home theater setup before going back to two channel. Trying to sell all three together if you are interested. They are fine tweeters (my latest speakers use the MDT-37s).

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Morel was showing a new improved model at the high end show at CES - I think the model was MDT-33. You might want to check it out.

GaryLP

Agent
Thanks for the responses guys.

Patrick,

Why would the Vifa have to be highpassed at around 3K? Both their graphs (Vifa & Morel) seem to be pretty flat down to about 1.8K...and the Vifa has a lower FS than the Morel.

Also...do you think the Scan-Speak 2905/9500 tweeter is a better tweeter than the MDT-30?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=7370&DID=7

It's only a little bit more, so the higher price is not a concern.

Don't worry about the impedence differences.

Thanks.

Gary

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When the XT25 came out, people are buzzing about it, but once folks started actually using it, they discovered it took more to ring out performance out of it, and one of the observations was that even though its frequency response make it look like a candidate to cross it over under 2000Hz, it didn't sound as good as when it was crossed over higher. Some people attributed the ring radiator diaphragm design of the XT25, which limited excursion down low (in the sub-2KHz region) to its subpar performance. Just because its Fs is 500hz doesn't mean you should try crossing it at 2 times Fs (1000Hz), as a rule of thumb. You should try also doing some google searches on this driver and maybe sniff around the Part Express Tech Board, or the Madisound Board as well.

This is not to say you shouldn't use the XT25 because there is one design that was in AudioXpress last year, designed by John Hancock, which features a low crossover point around 1250Hz, and a very steep crossover slope (6th order, IIRC). You just have to realize what considerations will need to be made.

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/dis...gi?read=287388

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/dis...gi?read=287384

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/dis...gi?read=285695

IIRC, the Scan-Speak is a good tweeter but requires some work in the crossover design to truly ring out the most performance ou tof it. When I bought my MDT30's, I got them from Zalytron for $40 each plus shipping, so that's why I didn't go for tweeters twice as expensive (like the Scan-speak 9500s) at the time because I'd have to shell out $200 more for 5 speakers, and I did have a budget for my project at the time.

GaryLP

Agent
Patrick,

I really appreciate your input...as I highly regard your opinion.

Thanks for the info on the XT25. I'll eliminate that off my list.

I guess I should have told you that I plan on using these in a car. Cross-overs will be 4th order actives.

So...price, impedence, and cross-over design aside, what would you recommend? The MDT-30 or Scan Speak 2905/9500? Thanks Patrick.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks