What's new

tweeters and subwoofer on a tower stand not working! (1 Viewer)

subie

Auditioning
Real Name
Toby
Hi and thank you for looking
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I am new to this forum site, so sorry if i do something wrong or under the wrong section.

I have an Aiwa Z-M200 Compact disc stereo system linked up to a subwoofer, two tiny speakers (with no bass) and two tower stands (big box with a 25cm subwoofer, two 6cm tweeters and a 2cm super tweeter).

These tower speakers are "twin duct 3way bass reflex speaker system".

I took it with us on holiday (big effort as it is HUGE and weighs a ton!!)... anyway it got a lot of use at high volumes but i never had it so it was distorting (had the "t-bass" turned off etc.

Anyway one night we smelt burning and i noticed one tower stand wasn't working (well only the super tweeter still works - not sub or two tweeters).

I checked and swapped cables but still same result.

I cant think what has gone wrong. One thing to note was that people kept switching it off at the wall because they were drunk and didn't like the walls shaking!!:laugh:

My dad and I had a quick look and couldn't find a fuse in the tower stand so have no idea what has gone wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated
as I am really missing my stereo!!

chuckg

Supporting Actor
"Anyway one night we smelt burning "

What has happened is that all the magic smoke has left your speaker. Without magic smoke, electronics is just a paperweight. Some devices can be "refurbished" (this leads me to think that the technical term for magic smoke is "furb," or perhaps that the "furb" is some solid material that oxidises to produce the smoke (furbium oxide?))

good luck on your search for a new speaker.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I think we've found your problem.
Honestly - blown fuses and tripped circuit breaker do not produce a burning smell. If you smell smoke then you have physically destroyed one or more components. Odds are it will cost less to buy new speakers than it would to have a qualified tech diagnose the exact problem and replace said parts.

Sorry. Wish I had better new.

Joe

subie

Auditioning
Real Name
Toby
Hi, Thank you for your response. The Only thing is I couldn't smell that real burning smell. I smelt the speaker closely but it didn't smell like overheated electronics. I though it could just be just dust or something being moved by the speaker for a long time or something?

It wasn't "real" smoke as there was a fire alarm in the room and that didn't go off, and both speakers smelt pretty similar.

Why would only one blow?

Also I had an idea that they may be wired in a sequence and like the cheap/old xmas lights when one blows the rest after it stop working. I though this as the super tweeter still works fine, but the two tweeters and sub below it do not.

Any idea??

Thank you very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks