Tweeter replacement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Keck, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Hope I picked the right area for this one.

The tweeter on one of my Polk Monitor 7Cs blew. Polk wants $60 for the replacement part plus shipping. The speakers are 22 years old. Should I try replacing the tweeter or start thinking about new speakers? Might there be a less expensive alternative to the Polk replacement tweeter?

Bear in mind that I have a degree from a major university and am a career civil servant (25 1/2 years) and have done nothing other than plugging in the componants for my stereo. Therefore, I wonder if I have the skill to even try this.

Thanks,

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Thanks, Jack. That looks EXACTLY like my tweeter, which have BLACK domes. I've since received an e-mail from Polk which said that if I can use a screwdriver, I can do the job myself.

This brings up another possibility, though. Since I currently have a two channel set-up, it seems that I could get four of these. One to replace my blown one and the others to build matching surrounds/center.

CRAP, now I gotta learn about building speakers, don't I?

Thanks, again.

Jack

4. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

My Peerless tweeter from Parts Express. It fit perfectly and sounds great. Thanks again, Jack.

5. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

As far as I can tell, it does.

Jack