Tweeter dropping the B&K line

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aslam Imran, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

I read somewhere in this forum that Tweeter was going to drop the B&K line. Is that true? and if so does anybody know why?

2. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Don't know if its true but I see it as a bad sign. Less quality brands and becoming more mass market.

3. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

I work at Tweeter and I've heard nothing to that effect. B&K is a great brand and I only wish I could sell more of them.

-Dave

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Since they dropped Adcom, B&K is the only line of separates Tweeter carries. As Dave said, he only wishes he could sell more of them. In other words, they don't sell much. The 307 receiver is supposed to have good sound quality. Obi, who reviews movies for this site dumped his 307 for the Pioneer Elite 49TX. The 49 is available for about $2,400 or more than 40% off MSRP. Even if Tweeter continues to sell B&K, Tweeter almost always sells for full MSRP.

Obi seems real happy with his 49TX.

If you do a search you can probably find the thread.

Artie

5. Gregory F

Gregory F Auditioning

No offense to Dave or anyone else who works at Tweeter.

My experience with them is that the sales people are not knowledgeable of the product or the industry. They do not know how to demonstrate mid to highend equipment. They do not have the rooms set up well to demo the equipment. The often don't have the equipment to demo.

They recently moved to a new bigger store in my area. No front projection systems set up. walls of speakers with no well set up rooms for surround. It more space and less demo rooms (4 to 3 I think). With their move they reduce the amount of better equipment and vastly increased the mass market equipment.

Quite the disappointment.

Greg

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

7. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Tweeter carries Proceed as well and they actually are B&K'S MAIN RETAIL PARTNER, as far as not carrying Adcom,well , no great suprise given the state of Adcom ....As far as adding an amp to Pioneer ,I always found that to be a must......

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

9. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, I agree with you about Tweeter. I have never been overly impressed with the salespeople or the soundrooms there. The salespeople are more knowledgable than the people you encounter at Circuit City or Best Buy, but still, they usually don't know much. The problem I find with Tweeter is that they are a large chain with a mass-market mentality trying to sell some non-mass-market equipment. I just don't feel they provide the customer service one has a right to expect when looking at expensive gear. Maybe others have had better experiences over the long haul.
    It's amazing when you walk into Tweeter and they have a $1500 Pioneer Elite DV-38A progressive-scan DVD-Audio player on a wall-type shelf with all the budget DVD players, and unplugged to boot. A $1500 player should be set up in a sound room with other quality equipment. In similar circumstances, I have asked them to set up a component in a sound room for a demo and they have refused. Sometimes they have obliged. It is clear to me that they don't have a set policy when it comes to demoing equipment. I've had salesmen say that it is a lot of trouble to move components around and that they can answer any question I have anyway. [​IMG] I will refer people to Tweeter because they do have a lot of components that people seem to be interested in (e.g., DVD-Audio and SACD players), but Tweeter is not the best place to go with questions. I will also encourage people to go to Tweeter to compare components in the hopes that they will find the right salesman.
    As far as B&K goes, I have demoed their stereo separates at Tweeter many times with different speakers or front-end components (whatever various stores had set up at the time), and I was not impressed with what I heard. Maybe that isn't the fault of the B&K gear though. It is possible that the B&K separates don't mate well with Vienna Acoustics or Sonus Faber speakers, for example.

11. MatthewJ S

If you don't get good advice or assistance from a salesperson at Tweeter or anywhere else, find another...Just like in any other profession there are good people and bad and Tweeter fights like hell to keep good salespeople ,but employee turnover in this industry is difficult to manage...Tweeter makes all of it's new employees go through 6 weeks worth of training before hitting the sales floor,they put these guys in front of Nat'l sales/product trainers from most of their Mid-Fi manufacturing partners,etc.....I would venture to say that they understand their niche very well - not the Yugo / not the Lamborghini but rather much of what lies between....I would venture to say (having worked for them )that 80% of their sales staff is quite a bit more knowledgeable about audio than the guys at BB and CC AND about 25% are more knowledgable than the average hobbyist (HTF POSTER)...If you need more knowlegable people than that then the salons have (sometimes) better staff...Tweeter is the largest custom install company in this buisness and is certainly not going downmarket when their average sale keeps going up,up,up, and as this hobby catches on with a larger # of people every day , they keep buzzing along...Tweeter ,about 2 years ago represented about 1% of the consumer electronics retail market but accounted for 28% of all HD and HD ready sets sold in the US....IF you are talking to someone who works there and believe you know more than they do then ask if there is someone more experianced than they are that you could talk to , you would be doing them a favor! As I recall most salespeople there liked selling B&K, Yamaha, and Denon over sony, kenwood and pioneer...mostly 'cause they sat down a lot to do amp comparisons, but they never have had great demo rooms (cost of retail construction and rent) but they do the best with what they have and if a salesman won't hook-up or tweak products properly for a comparison, find another salesperson.

12. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I don't know if this is related to the B&K question, but I thought I might mention it in passing. Over the weekend, I went to go check out my local Tweeter. I was kind of surprised to see a Kenwood receiver there, because, personally speaking, I had never seen any Kenwood product there before.

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Tweeter bought on the local Hi-Fi Buys chain several years back. Ever since then, they have had smaller stores popping up that seem to have more "flair" but less substance. All the RPTV's are set up in a large semi-circle. The lighting is way too bright and flushes out everything. I can't help but feeling like bells and whistles are going to go off at any moment and confetti is going to start dropping from the ceiling.

The older stores seem much more professional.

Brian

14. MatthewJ S

Samuel, Tweeter used to carry Kenwood home and dropped the line after some issues but kept car and after some discussion with their home installation people have brought in only the Sovereign line (I believe)...

Brian, I've been told from friends in Atlanta that Tweeter improved Hi-Fi buys by weeding out much of the low-end schlock they used to carry, but I agree the store floor style is quite differant.I'm sure many find the dark rooms that I prefer to be oppresive and "salon-like"