Tweaking my Sony SAWM20

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Williams, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

So far, in the past 30 days I have spent $650 on my modest home theater without causing any problems with my spouse. I am currently using a pair of Klipsch KG2s for my mains, a KV-2 for the center and a pair of Energy Connoisseur C-1's for my rears. My weak link is my sub, a Sony SAWM20. I know that if I spend any more money on speakers, my wife will definitely have a fit. Does anyone have any tweaks that I can use on my sub so I can get the best sound out of it?

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

ah...hate to say this....but....are you surrreeee your wife won't let you spend an extra $100 on a DLS 10" sub from partsexpress.com? maybe you can sell the sony?

3. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

I have an SA-WM20, too. I'm happy that it's a clear improvement in my system over not having a sub at all. I'd be interested in a comparison with the DLS 10" by someone who has actually heard both of them.

Pre-tweak 1: Get it connected the best way. I've experimented with (1) the standard 5 speakers set "small" and subwoofer="on" (which I didn't like), (2) 5 speakers set "large" and subwoofer="both", with sub xover=55Hz, (3) 5 speakers set "large" and subwoofer="off", with fronts connected through the sub, sub xover=80Hz. I'm currently using (3), but I might go back to (2). (My other speakers are full-range.)

Pre-tweak 2: Get the sub's volume adjusted right. Not easy. I play Jazz with string bass solos and try to get the bass notes at a more or less constant volume, as the bass walks up and down. With setup (2) above, I had the volume at 1:30, with (3) I have it at 10:30.

Tweak 1: Put a cement block on top to keep the little thing from vibrating so much. Some people rest it on top of a paving stone. I don't know whether either of these helps.

Tweak 2: Stuff it with polyfiber, as folks do with its big brother SA-WM40. I haven't tried this yet and haven't seen any reports. It's just a thought.