Tweak Guide for Sony 51WS500 RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DustinDT, Jul 14, 2003.

1. DustinDT

DustinDT Agent

Does anyone have or know where I can get a tweak/configuration guide for the Sony KP-51WS500 RPTV. I see mention of one for the WS500 series on agoraquest and another site but can't for the life of me find it.

It's in your best interest because im a government employee and am spending your Tax dollars looking for it ; )

TIA
    DustinDT

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I don't know if I am allowed to post this, but I don't really see the harm. If you go to www.hometheaterspot.com they have a spot for just Sony products. Awhile back I found a post that went into very great detail about the current Sony models from the 500 to the 700 series. Some of the tweaks included the typical Red push fix all the way to going into greater detail of how to adjust the focus pots & the like. If you cant find anything there let me know just what your after doing as I have about 10 pages printed out on tweaks for the 500 series Sony sets.

3. Joe Tilley

I don't know if you responded by email or your post just didn't show up but anyway. As for knowing anyone by the Hilton name around here I sure don't. Are you close to the Kokomo area your self?
    Any way What is it your out to do? Are you after just some general tweaks, or are you wonting to go all out? The one thing I will for warn you about is that if you are not familiar with the service menus on you set very much or are the slightest bit nervous about going into the menu I would not do it, as you can damage you set if your not exactly sure what you are doing.
    One thing I will tell you as will lots of others here get a good calibration disk like Avia or the Sound & Vision disk it can be very helpful. I was at first disappointed when I purchased when I bought the Avia disk as alot of it can be pretty basic. But after getting more familiar with it & what you can do with it I wouldn't go without it.
    Give me alittle time I will dig up the pages I have & get you started with a couple of the basic tweaks if you would like & well go from there.

4. DustinDT

DustinDT Agent

I had responded by email = )
    I mainly want to decrease the grainyness without losing too much sharpness. I already have my sharpness and picture turned down pretty low and would like to recapture some of the sharpness without adding grain.
    I'm not in much of a hurry because the TV is brand new and I haven't had nearly the 100 hours of break in time that is suggested.
    Do you think I should order the Avia disk now or wait for the sound and vision one to get released in september?

Regards,
    DustinDT

5. Joe Tilley

I would get either disk, which ever you could get the better deal on I would say, since most seam to say they are pretty much the same. For now you can use a disk with the THX optimizer on it to give you some real basic color help if you do wait out the S&V disk.
    What are you using for picture Cable or Sat? There have been quite a bit of people complain about the picture on the Sony's with cable.
    As for doing any adjusting ( other than basic stuff )I would wate until you have got some time on the set if it is still pretty new.

Two of the things I will tell you now that are the most commonly done on Sony sets in the service menu.

Item: ( UVML ) in your service menu set this to ( 0 ) to disable Scan Velocity Modulation.
    SVM changes the speed or velocity of the beam as it is scanned from the left to the right side of the picture, in the process it distorts real picture detail.
    Item: ( AXIS ) in your service menu set this to ( 1 ) to minimize red push on your tv.
    This one is something people always complain about. After doing this tweak you will notice a improvement in flesh tones & reds wont seam overbearing.

Ok so heres how its all done. First off let the set warm up for at least a half hour before doing anything to it. Its not really necessary with these two tweaks but its a good idea to get in the habit.
    With the tv on & using your remote press ( Power, Display, 5, Vol +, Power ) this will get you into the menu. Your tv should come back on with a series of green numbers & or letters at the top of the screen. The letters at the top right are what you will be looking at. 1 & 4 on your remote change the item, keys 2 & 5 change the category, & keys 3 & 6 change the value.
    One VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember do not change anything until you have wrote down the factory default setting for what you are changing. That said once you have changed the above settings press Mute followed by Enter to save the changes you made. To get back out of the service menu just turn the power off.
    Good luck[​IMG]

6. DustinDT

DustinDT Agent

Thanks for the help Joe!

HTF Rules!

7. Joe Tilley

Let us know how it works out if you decide to try these tweaks. Like I said those are probably the most common & easiest there are to do. But I cant say it enough to watch what you do wile in the service menu & don't forget to write down factory settings.
    Once you get a calibration disk there are a few other items I could help you out with to get the most out of your tv[​IMG]

P.S. something I think I should clarify is when in the menu the only thing you need to write down are the value of items you intend to change, that would be anything you adjust using the 3 or 6 key.