TWC HDDVR Makes its Debut

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike OConnell, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I just hope the Kansas City market is close on the heels of Green Bay.

Release Date: December 03, 2003

Scientific-Atlanta Innovation Delivers Dual Tuner DVR/HD Set-Top to Time Warner Cable

—Time Warner Cable-Green Bay Division to deploy Explorer 8000HD—

Anaheim, CA, The Western Show – Scientific-Atlanta announced today the availability of its integrated dual tuner high-definition digital video recorder set-top solution. The new Explorer® 8000HD™ High Definition Digital Video Recorder (DVR) will deliver two highly compelling video services – the control and convenience of a Digital Video Recorder and stunning High Definition Television (HDTV) video with digital surround sound. The industry leader in the deployment of DVRs and high-definition television service, Time Warner Cable is now initiating the deployment of HD/DVR set tops in its Green Bay Division, which serves over 150,000 customers in northeast Wisconsin .

“The combination of HD’s incredible video and audio and the ability to watch television on your own time creates a fantastic entertainment experience for our customers,” said John Lochner, vice president of marketing, Time Warner Cable-Green Bay. “The payback on our investment in digital, high definition and DVR capabilities comes in two ways – highly satisfied customers and new avenues for revenue and growth.”

“Our Explorer 8000HD high definition digital video recorder product offers a tremendous opportunity for cable operators to aggressively go after and win back satellite’s best subscribers,” said Michael Harney, corporate senior vice president and president of Subscriber Networks, Scientific-Atlanta. “The combination of fourth-generation HDTV technology and dual tuner HD-DVR capability, along with the availability of HD-VOD entertainment content in the future, will create an outstanding and unsurpassed entertainment experience for cable subscribers.”

The 8000HD represents the next step in the progression of the proven Scientific-Atlanta DVR platform. Scientific-Atlanta has shipped more than 500,000 Explorer 8000 DVR set-tops to date. With the addition of HD capability, cable operators can take advantage of this leading edge set-top technology to further enhance their video offering, increase subscriber satisfaction, and enable new revenue streams. With cable TV’s large number of HD programming channels, the combination of DVR and HD holds great potential as a valuable marketing tool for cable operators as they compete with DBS for customers. And, with the growth and revenue potential that HD video on demand (VOD) service provides, cable operators can extend the benefits of their investment in the Explorer 8000HD.

“The new 8000HD expands the popularity of the DVR experience as HD content is added to the consumer’s viewing options,” added Harney. “In Scientific-Atlanta’s more than 20 years of delivering set-tops, rarely has there been such a wave of enthusiasm from consumers toward their cable operators that compares with the favorable response we have seen associated with the availability of DVR.”

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I hope they get that my way soon. HD could keep me from getting rid of my digital cable subscription.

3. JoshuaL

JoshuaL Extra

I emailed Time Warner (Albany, NY area) about the 8000HD and in case anyone else is a subscriber in that area, here's their response:

"Our technical staff is currently testing the new SA8000HD converter. We are hoping to make this new converter available to customers within the next few months. I will add your name to my list of customers who wish to be contacted when the SA8000HD is available to customers!"

Sounds good to me!

4. Chuck Mullen

Chuck Mullen Stunt Coordinator

I have Comcast in Montgomery County MD (D.C. suburb) and am getting my 8000 on Friday morning. I have read some mixed reviews on other sites, but it sounds like it's pretty awesome when it is working properly. It has two tuners which I have never had on my ReplayTV or my old Dish PVR.

It seems there are some glitches that may be software related. Not surprising, after all this is a brand new product. I will post after I have a chance to check it out.

5. Hank

Hank Guest

I got my 8000 yesterday. It is very cool, recorded some of a NHL game on HDnet and when played back it looked glorious! Can't wait to record more HD when I'm not home to watch it!

[​IMG]

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Awesome!!

Please keep us posted.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Hank, I'm in the Albany TWC area as well and am on their 8000HD pre-reserve list. Were you on the list? Did you get a call telling you it was available or did you happen to call at just the right time?

Please let us know...I'm jealous [​IMG]

8. Hank

Hank Guest

Jeff,

I replied to the email that was sent out saying you can reserve one. On Thursday I decided to call TWC. The rep I spoke to said he would UPS me one or that I could set-up an in home installation. I than asked if I could pick one up myself at the Rotterdam office. He checked to see if they were in stock. He than told me to bring them my 3250 and they would give me the 8000HD. You should call them and say you want to pick it up. Their shipment arrived earlier in the week. I don't know how many they have.