TW64H80 vs. Mitsubishi WS65907

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Courier, May 13, 2001.

1. Mark Courier

Mark Courier Auditioning

Which television, Toshiba TW65H80 or Mitsubishi WS65907, would provide a better picture when coupled with a progressive scan DVD player? On a related note,does either television have 9" guns? Also, I am curious if either have two sets of wideband component video jacks? I am attempting to upgrade my home theater, any responses would be greatly appreciated.
    Mark Courier

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Mark:
    Both televisions are held in high regard on this and other forums. I will offer my opinions on the matter.
    Personally, I would opt for the Toshiba over the Mitsubishi. The Toshiba will offer better out of the box performance. The Mitsubishi suffers from a horrendous red push, making all fleshtones look too red and unnatural. The only correction is the red push attenuator - but this will only work on the component inputs, therefore other sources on other inputs will still suffer.
    Second, Mitsubishi is known for horrific out of the box colour temperature settings. The new Toshiba models, on the other hand, have reasonable colour temperatures in the Warm setting. Of course, proper grayscale calibration will make things look better, but the Toshiba comes closer to the 6500K target than the Mits.
    Finally, Mitsubishi is not known for their line doublers. The Toshiba line doubler is much better and apparently all models manufactured after 1/21/01 will now incorporate 3:2 pulldown detection for best results with film-based material.
    Both sets are a tweaker's delight, with perhaps Toshiba just getting the edge in this department. Lots of things can be done to bring the performance of these sets to the nth degree of perfection. No amount of tweaking, on the other hand, will help the Mits' red push problem or poor line doubler, so I think you're better off with the Toshiba.
    As for your specific questions, neither set uses 9" CRTs and they both use high-bandwidth component inputs, from what I understand.
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

3. Mark Courier

Mark Courier Auditioning

Jeff,
    Thank you very much for your quick response! I think I will give serious consideration to the Toshiba.

4. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

As a previous owner of Mits and present owner of Tosh, Jeff you said it all [​IMG]
    Go for the Tosh-prices have come down and offer the best value today.
    Cheers,
    Kishore

5. CaspianM

CaspianM Stunt Coordinator

Literally all the RPTVs need some tweaking once they are broken in. So, the out box consideration may not be as important as final result once the unit is either ISFed or tweaked to perfection by the owner.
    I have had a Toshiba just two years ago and now have a 65907. IMO, the Toshiba is more in line with Mits 65857.
    The color decoder of both units are set for red bias. Mits has 25% and Toshiba about half of that. Both units service menu are partially blocked.
    If the unit is going to be used with a progressive DVD player, the quality of line doubler becomes irrelevant unless the set is going to be used heavily for cable, VCR and etc. Furthermore, I certainly feel if the SVM are disabled, both unit would be a toss up as far as the line doubler is concerned.
    So what puts the Mits 65907 over the Toshiba is the Promise, a warranty for future compatibility, better connectivity and much better looking cabinet. I personally prefer the 65907 picture over the Toshiba by a small margin and better out of box reliability.

6. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

7. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

If you want to go for Mits, the the red-push problem can be circumvented by using the receiver (or iscan pro) as central piece and connecting to the TV using attenuator and component inputs of TV. The attenuator removes significant part of red-push. You can read more on Mits on hometheaterspot(.com)
    I should second Jeff wrt Tosh's lack of red- on new sets. Mine and my friend's Tosh setting thru Avia has +8/+10 towards red color.
    The Mits line doubler is no match for Tosh's new improved one.I actually sold my iscan pro and currently use my Pana RV-80 (which outperformed 6200 and JVC Prog scan) DVD player with my Tosh 56H80.The strech mode on Tosh is better than Mits (imo)
    For NTSC Toshiba is a clear winner. If you use Prog scan DVD player then calibrated Tosh and Mits(slight red) are close. For HD, I believe that Pioneer,Elite, Sony, Mits or Tosh are very similar.
    Mark, ultimately you need to form your opinion and choose. You won't go wrong with any of the sets mentioned.
    Happy Hunting [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Kishore

8. CaspianM

CaspianM Stunt Coordinator

"The use of SVM has no bearing on line doubler quality and is not relevant when comparing them."---------------------
    While SVM has no bearing on line doubler performance, it improves the overall picture once disabled. Often its effect is mistakenly thought as the line doubler's poor performance. Both these units have poor line doubler for critical performance anyway. Again once the set is driven by a good STB progressive player, the doubler is by passed.
    I have used the inexpensive attenuator with excellent results. But then again, I do not use the set for 4x3 materials. Therefore the red bias is not an issue for me. Toshiba set offers the best bang for the buck. But I just could not live with its rather ordinary looking cabinet.