What's new

TW56X81 overlays are incorrect? (1 Viewer)

David Keller

Auditioning
I bought PSOL5601 and PSOL5603 kits for my toshiba and discovered that overlays grid from PSOL5601 kit are different from pictures shown in the service manual (The distance between grid lines (both vertical and horizontal) is bigger that ones specified in the service manual). Anyone here knows what is the correct grid (kit or manual)?
Thanks in advance,
David Keller

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Hey, where did you get the 5603 from?! I tried to order this from Toshiba a couple of months ago and they told me that part number was not available! What exactly is on that template anyway?
I measured the grid spacing for FULL and TW1 modes and the template and the service manual (for the 56H80) agree at 102.3mm horizontal spacing for full and 90.5mm for TW1.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

David Keller

Auditioning
Ordered at Videophase, Toronto Canada (check Toshiba web site), 60$ Canadian.
After checking the overlays again I realized that my overlay grid(s) has a measurements of 65" grid even that grid has "56 PJTV" specified.

Leo Vildosola

Auditioning
Hi David,
You should be aware of the fact that the grid will not necessarily give you the desired 5% overscan. Most manufacturers shoot for more like 10%. Although, they are getting better now. That may be the reason why you find the grid spacing to be too large.
------------------
Leo Vildosola
HTCal - Home Theater Calibrations
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
The grid line spacing specs in the service manual are not correct either, ie. they do not produce correctly proportioned geometry for the 2 TW modes that should be proportional, Full and TW2. Perhaps the grids now reflect this? Plus, as Leo says, if you go w/the service manual specs or the Toshiba overlays, you'll end up w/Toshiba's overscan preference (which at least in this case is only around 5%). You can probably get away w/only 3% though.
I do have an overlay w/the factory spec'd gridlines, but I only use it as a reference for straight lines. For actual sizeing, I use a pieces of paper (one for each mode) w/precisely-sized squares printed on it (using CorelDraw).
Here are the sizes I came up w/after much experimentation (W x H):
Full 99 mm x 46.7 mm
TW2 99 mm x 62 mm
These ratios are very different than what's in the service manual and produce just under 3% overscan for Full (and TW2 left/right). For TW1 (the non-proportional stretch mode), I took the service manual grid height spec but really scrunched the picture in (< 2% left/right overscan) to minimize the stretch distortion.
Steve
------------------

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi ya folks,
The grids are available again at pacparts per fellow enthusiast Randy Boecker.
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
What lines are on the PSOL5603 grid? Is it just the HD modes (4:3 and 16:9)?
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks