TW56x81 - halo effect?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by WilliamB, Jun 3, 2003.

1. WilliamB

WilliamB Stunt Coordinator

My TW56x81 has begun displaying a white "halo" effect on very black backgrounds. Can you tell me what causes this and how to fix it? I have SVM disabled (using a fix from HTF)

2. WilliamB

WilliamB Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, meant to stick this in the right forum and dont know how to get it there...

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Has begun to show the halo but never did before?

Is there an "edge enhancement" selection somewhere in the TV menus? Turn that off and also turn the sharpness off. (Note: On some TV sets sharpness off is in the middle rather than the left of the scale).

Only other thing I can think of is the electronics aging and having difficultiy remember "where black is" (black level retention).

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Dan Kaps

Dan Kaps Extra

Do the halos surround bright sections in an otherwise dark scene? My guess is that you're seeing light being reflected from within the cabinet. This is a "problem" with most RPTVs.

First, make sure that your set is well calibrated using Avia, Video Essentials, or the like. It's possible you're pushing your white level (contrast) too high.

FYI...Some people have opened their cabinets and applied a light absorbing fabric around the inside to reduce this effect.